Re: Tracfone/Google Voice question

  • apuise
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2011
      It sounds like you want to port your current Tracfone number to Google Voice.

      Once you do that, you can have Google Voice ring any US number when the GV number is called. That includes ringing the number of your PagePlus phone.

      That is entirely feasible.

      I believe you have to create a Google Voice account with a new number, and set it up to ring the Page Plus phone.

      Once that works, you can then pay the $20 and port your Tracfone number into that GV account.

      After the port is complete, calls to the Tracfone number, now the GV number, will come through on the PagePlus phone.

      If it were I, assuming I had always on internet access at home, I would also set up Google Voice to connect via VOIP so I could receive and make calls on that new, ported-in GV number for free. The cheapest way is to use Google Chat, in Gmail or standalone, but the coolest way is to use an Obi110 unit and a regular phone.

      There are many other choices, from SIPBri to PBXes.com and on and on to use VOIP with Google Voice.

      But yes, you can port your TF number to GV, keep it into the future and route calls to any phone, including a PagePlus prepaid phone.

      --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, handsfiasco@... wrote:

      > Hi! I recall reading some posts in the past that indicated to me that
      > Google Voice could be used in conjunction with TF, but I'm too low-tech
      > to have absorbed it all. My situation is that I have an active trac with
      > service into next February, but only a few minutes left. I also have a
      > Moto V3M that I've activated with Page Plus. This phone has quite a few
      > minutes left, but service expires in early December. I've used the PP to
      > test their system and the reception quality of the Moto, which is very
      > good. Could I possibly utilize my already purchased minutes by
      > registering the TF number (which I want to keep) with Google Voice in a
      > way that would send my incoming calls to the PP Moto? If I port the TF
      > number to the PP, I'm led to understand that I would lose the minutes
      > already there, plus I would lose my minutes and days on the trac. Can
      > anyone tell me if this makes any sense, and, if so, could you explain
      > (in the simplest possible way) how I would go about that? Thanks so very
      > much!
      > Rob

    • Richard Sheasley
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 21, 2011
        And if you still want to maintain Tracfone service, you will have to get a
        new number for your Tracfone (and a new SIM if it is a GSM phone) and go
        through the steps to reactivate the phone before the time limit is up - or
        risk loosing the Tracfone service time (and the few minutes you have left
        still.)

        Richard Sheasley

        At 08:09 PM 2011-10-21 +0000, you wrote:

        >It sounds like you want to port your current Tracfone number to Google Voice.
        >
        >Once you do that, you can have Google Voice ring any US number when the GV
        >number is called. That includes ringing the number of your PagePlus phone.
        >
        >That is entirely feasible.
        >
        >I believe you have to create a Google Voice account with a new number, and
        >set it up to ring the Page Plus phone.
        >
        >Once that works, you can then pay the $20 and port your Tracfone number
        >into that GV account.
        >
        >After the port is complete, calls to the Tracfone number, now the GV
        >number, will come through on the PagePlus phone.
        >
        >If it were I, assuming I had always on internet access at home, I would
        >also set up Google Voice to connect via VOIP so I could receive and make
        >calls on that new, ported-in GV number for free. The cheapest way is to
        >use Google Chat, in Gmail or standalone, but the coolest way is to use an
        >Obi110 unit and a regular phone.
        >
        >There are many other choices, from SIPBri to PBXes.com and on and on to
        >use VOIP with Google Voice.
        >
        >But yes, you can port your TF number to GV, keep it into the future and
        >route calls to any phone, including a PagePlus prepaid phone.
        >
        >--- In
        ><mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
        >handsfiasco@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi! I recall reading some posts in the past that indicated to me that
        > > Google Voice could be used in conjunction with TF, but I'm too low-tech
        > > to have absorbed it all. My situation is that I have an active trac with
        > > service into next February, but only a few minutes left. I also have a
        > > Moto V3M that I've activated with Page Plus. This phone has quite a few
        > > minutes left, but service expires in early December. I've used the PP to
        > > test their system and the reception quality of the Moto, which is very
        > > good. Could I possibly utilize my already purchased minutes by
        > > registering the TF number (which I want to keep) with Google Voice in a
        > > way that would send my incoming calls to the PP Moto? If I port the TF
        > > number to the PP, I'm led to understand that I would lose the minutes
        > > already there, plus I would lose my minutes and days on the trac. Can
        > > anyone tell me if this makes any sense, and, if so, could you explain
        > > (in the simplest possible way) how I would go about that? Thanks so very
        > > much!
        > > Rob

      • ctbarbarin2201
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2011
          Rob,

          I don't know much about TracFone, but I do use Google Voice & love it.

          With Google Voice, you can set it up to ring up to 6 different phone numbers at once. Then you decide which phone to take the call on (most often the most economical one available at the time).

          In your case, you would set it up to ring both your TF & your PP phone. Then you answer your PP phone as much as possible until you burn through those minutes (or it expires), then you can move on to answering calls on your TF.

          If getting a new number from GV is not an option (you can search for GV numbers and might be able to find one very close to your TF number), yes you can port it for a relatively affordable price...$10 - $20 (I think) like others have mentioned.

          The thing I don't know for sure is if...with TF if you can get a new number and transfer current minutes/service days after GV steals the number from them. By others responses, it looks like that is a possibility if you act fast (and maybe deal with customer service (don't know anything about TF's customer service either)).

          I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions...I will try to answer them.

          CTB

          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, handsfiasco@... wrote:

          > Hi! I recall reading some posts in the past that indicated to me that
          > Google Voice could be used in conjunction with TF, but I'm too low-tech
          > to have absorbed it all. My situation is that I have an active trac with
          > service into next February, but only a few minutes left. I also have a
          > Moto V3M that I've activated with Page Plus. This phone has quite a few
          > minutes left, but service expires in early December. I've used the PP to
          > test their system and the reception quality of the Moto, which is very
          > good. Could I possibly utilize my already purchased minutes by
          > registering the TF number (which I want to keep) with Google Voice in a
          > way that would send my incoming calls to the PP Moto? If I port the TF
          > number to the PP, I'm led to understand that I would lose the minutes
          > already there, plus I would lose my minutes and days on the trac. Can
          > anyone tell me if this makes any sense, and, if so, could you explain
          > (in the simplest possible way) how I would go about that? Thanks so very
          > much!
          > Rob

        • borntolose3
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
            I apologize for being so late in responding to this thread. I want to thank "apuise" for this reply, and I also want to thank L M, Richard, and CTB for their kind advice. I think that "apuise" has probably given me the direction I should put into use. My primary concern was saving my current number with Trac. I've had that number for almost three years, and a lot of old friends, some of whom I don't hear from often, have it. I'd have a tough time letting everyone who has that one know of a change of numbers. It appears that porting it to Google would allow me to keep it indefinitely. I could have it ring my PP phone for the present, then add more numbers, if I activate other phones. Since my minutes are running pretty low on my Trac, but my service is out to Feb. of 2012, I plan to use those up, leaving me plenty of time to make the port. This will certainly let me hang on to the number I want, and that is priority 1. Again, many thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions. This group is a godsend for those of us who are "technically-challenged"! Like cousin Minnie Pearl, "I'm just so proud to be here"!Blessings to all,Rob --------------------------------- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "apuise" <apuise@...> wrote:>> > It sounds like you want to port your current Tracfone number to Google Voice.> > Once you do that, you can have Google Voice ring any US number when the GV number is called. That includes ringing the number of your PagePlus phone.> > That is entirely feasible. > > I believe you have to create a Google Voice account with a new number, and set it up to ring the Page Plus phone.> > Once that works, you can then pay the $20 and port your Tracfone number into that GV account.> > After the port is complete, calls to the Tracfone number, now the GV number, will come through on the PagePlus phone.> > If it were I, assuming I had always on internet access at home, I would also set up Google Voice to connect via VOIP so I could receive and make calls on that new, ported-in GV number for free. The cheapest way is to use Google Chat, in Gmail or standalone, but the coolest way is to use an Obi110 unit and a regular phone. > > There are many other choices, from SIPBri to PBXes.com and on and on to use VOIP with Google Voice.> > But yes, you can port your TF number to GV, keep it into the future and route calls to any phone, including a PagePlus prepaid phone.> > > > > > > > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, handsfiasco@ wrote:> >> > Hi! I recall reading some posts in the past that indicated to me that> > Google Voice could be used in conjunction with TF, but I'm too low-tech> > to have absorbed it all. My situation is that I have an active trac with> > service into next February, but only a few minutes left. I also have a> > Moto V3M that I've activated with Page Plus. This phone has quite a few> > minutes left, but service expires in early December. I've used the PP to> > test their system and the reception quality of the Moto, which is very> > good. Could I possibly utilize my already purchased minutes by> > registering the TF number (which I want to keep) with Google Voice in a> > way that would send my incoming calls to the PP Moto? If I port the TF> > number to the PP, I'm led to understand that I would lose the minutes> > already there, plus I would lose my minutes and days on the trac. Can> > anyone tell me if this makes any sense, and, if so, could you explain> > (in the simplest possible way) how I would go about that? Thanks so very> > much!> > Rob> >>
          • Woody
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
              You'll have to leave at least a minute on this TF to keep the phone
              and phone number active until your Feb Service ends. You need both
              minutes and service days to keep a TF active. Just wanted to be
              certain you knew that.

              You can always add minutes cheaply by the $10 online only 30m/30day or
              sign up for the Service Protection Value Plan. You need to use a
              credit card. You sign up and you are charged $5.99 a month if you fail
              to add a card when you hit the end of service date.
              I know you don't want to use that phone past Feb, but what this does
              is by signing up you have the option to buy a bucket of minutes today-
              50 min for $10 (DMFL gives you 100m).

              You may not need that option of adding minutes while you get your
              transfer done, but if something goofy happens, you can quickly add
              some minutes for a low price.

              Just some CYA info.