Re: [Tracfone_Users] Re: New Tracfone for hubby?

  • cg205@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
      Yes, it's a CDMA.  I have an LG231c flip phone now and my son has the LG290c that I'm getting.  We are both using Verizon towers.  The 290 has a superior camera to my LG231, and my son's has been very rugged and reliable.  That's why I chose it, I wanted CDMA and a better camera.  When you consider you are getting a case and car charger with it, it just about makes the phone free, since you can pay that much just for a one year card with 400 minutes.  The triple minutes for life can be a very valuable feature, that is what made the final decision for me and I don't know of another CDMA Tracfone that has it.

      Yes,the phone has a year's service along with the 400 minutes which triple to 1200.  All future minute purchases will triple with the phone.  My current (and most current) Tracfone just has double minutes.

      I checked shopcelldeals on Ebay today, and he only has 2 phones that have triple minutes, but they are both GSM models.  Like you, I need to stick with CDMA.  He does sell the LG290c, but it is with double minutes, not triple, and is more money than the one I ordered this morning from HSN with the extras and TMFL.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
        Most of the Tracfone new model numbers have either a C or a G on the end of
        the series. A C is a CDMA phone which would be for Verizon like you are
        asking about. A "G" on the end would be AT&T or TMobile GSM phones. So you
        can visit the Tracfone web site and play around to see what the CDMA phone
        offerings are. You may not be in a CDMA market, so you have to follow the
        "tricks" of either changing the zip code to one that is, or try the coding
        link as described in this tutorial on getting a phone not listed under your
        own zip code:
        http://thejmart.com/difzip.htm and the Fatwallet thread has some good info
        also under the Official Tracfone thread in Hot Deals.

        Richard Sheasley

        PS: You may also if he is happy with his existing phone and had it long
        enough look at PagePlus Cellular Prepaid. Could be slightly cheaper than
        getting a new Tracfone, and he MAYBE able to use his existing phone (but
        PagePlus does not allow new prepaid Verizon phones- some window of time
        after they have been used and activated on the Verizon Prepaid, then they
        can be moved over to PagePlus, but new out of the package ones will not).
        PagePlus is not as limiting on the type of phone you can use- many used
        Verizon contract phones can be activated and used on their service plans,
        or you can purchase one directly from PagePlus.