Triple minute phones. Can Tracfone minutes expire?

  • cg205
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
      I've been a Tracfone user for 9 years, and I've always thought the minutes don't expire unless you fail to maintain service. But right now I'm considering a triple-minute Tracfone from the Home Shopping Network, and in the phone details it states:

      >>>The 1200 minutes expire one year from the date you activate the >>>promotional minutes

      Can anyone enlighten me on this? Will I lose those minutes even if I maintain service and would it be this way with any of the triple minute phones. I have never lost a single minute this way before.
    • Richard Sheasley
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
        While I am no Triple minute expert (since this is so new and many times
        offered through 3rd party companies like Home Shopping Network) it sounds
        like the standard wording of all the Tracfone minutes cards- if you do not
        activate and apply them to a phone within 1 year of purchase then they
        could end up being worthless and not allowed. Typically though some report
        that they have had success with applying minutes from some long lost card
        that has been sitting around un-activated for more than 1 year. But the
        wording is a bit confusing- as nobody has had a Triple minutes phone for 1
        year there is not anyone that can report it did or did not happen to them.
        If you think you are a low enough of a minutes user- then maybe one of the
        triple minutes phones is not the best choice for your next cell phone. 1200
        minutes is really not a whole lot of time for the "average" heavy cell
        phone user out there. I have used over 600 minutes in this month alone, as
        an example.

        Others that have ordered off of HSN maybe can provide some more insight,
        but you activate the triple minutes phones through the seller and not
        Tracfone or the Tracfone Web- if what I have read in the past about this
        first being offered is true.

        Richard Sheasley

        At 02:50 PM 2011-08-31 +0000, you wrote:

        >I've been a Tracfone user for 9 years, and I've always thought the minutes
        >don't expire unless you fail to maintain service. But right now I'm
        >considering a triple-minute Tracfone from the Home Shopping Network, and
        >in the phone details it states:

        > the >>>promotional minutes
        >
        >Can anyone enlighten me on this? Will I lose those minutes even if I
        >maintain service and would it be this way with any of the triple minute
        >phones. I have never lost a single minute this way before.

      • Frank Tokarchik
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
          They WILL NOT expire long as you keep the phone active.  This works just like any other tracfone card. When you buy a TF card you have to use the card within one year of purchase.  That is printed on the card. This is just confusing wording.

        • CG205@YAHOO.COM
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
            Thanks, Frank, I was hoping that was the case.  I was just thrown by the words "one year from the date you activate".  I am a light user, therefore that would be a big disadvantage  for me.  I've been hoping HSN would put the LG290c with TMFL on sale, and they did just today.But I hated pulling the trigger until I got other opinions on the 'expiring minutes' situation.