RE: [Tracfone_Users] Short Codes

  • Robert Stoddard
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
      I found out about these codes when I tried to text message my local library, which has a 5-digit short code. After noticing that the messages all failed to go through, I found the following: http://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions.jsp. (See paragraph 3.) There are similar limitations at the Net10 and Straight Talk sites, as I recall, unless they have changed very recently. RKS

    • Robert Stoddard
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
        I am unable to understand how this can work for some others (like "eaglesfan") but not for me. By the way, that link to the Tracfone site got spoiled in transit, so here it is again:

        http://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions.jsp Notice the following sentence in paragraph 3.: " Any text message you send to a "short code" will in all likelihood not go through." Maybe it should say "but for some folks, it still may go through"? RKS

      • Robert Stoddard
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
          I am using a CDMA Tracfone (LG 290c) activated on Verizon. I wonder if anyone else has had success with short codes on a Verizon-activated Tracfone? RKS

          To: Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com
          From: rsheasley@...
          Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:19:43 -0500
          Subject: RE: [Tracfone_Users] Texting to a number

          Could be a few things involved here- the underlying carrier of the service
          for 1. Some carriers may have the phone programmed to allow them, even
          though Tracfone states they most likely will not go through.

          Many (but obviously not ALL) of these texts also have a message surcharge
          (like for voting for a TV contest or similar cost $.99 or whatever) - text
          message charges of a set amount will apply in the fine print of the message
          announcement. This is over and above the normal text charges that Tracfone
          would deduct and their system may have no way to pass along these
          additional charges.

          Richard Sheasley

        • edwardp@mcom.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
            Yes, they have worked for me.

            On 08/08/2011 03:52 PM, Robert Stoddard wrote:

            > I am using a CDMA Tracfone (LG 290c) activated on Verizon. I wonder if
            > anyone else has had success with short codes on a Verizon-activated
            > Tracfone? RKS

          • Richard Sheasley
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011

              At 07:06 PM 2011-08-08 +0000, you wrote:

              >I am unable to understand how this can work for some others (like
              >"eaglesfan") but not for me. By the way, that link to the Tracfone site
              >got spoiled in transit, so here it is again:
              >
              ><http://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions.jsp>http://www.tracfone.com/includes/content/popup/terms_conditions.jsp
              >Notice the following sentence in paragraph 3.: " Any text message you send
              >to a "short code" will in all likelihood not go through." Maybe it should
              >say "but for some folks, it still may go through"? RKS

            • Phyliss
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
                I just tried the redbox code on my Samsung r355c (Net10) and it worked fine. The regular message rate is deducted, whatever that may be for your phone.
                I've been using these short codes for over a year now. I like the weather codes, department store codes, news codes, and, of course, redbox.

                To: Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
                  Hi Edward,

                  Well if you are successful with short codes on a Verizon-activated Tracfone, and Eaglesfan is successful with them on ATT, there doesn't seem to be any easy answer to why they don't work for other people, or why Tracfone says the texting "in all likelihood won't go through". RKS

                  To: Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com
                  From: edwardp@...
                  Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:05:32 -0400

                  Yes, they have worked for me.

                  On 08/08/2011 03:52 PM, Robert Stoddard wrote:

                  > I am using a CDMA Tracfone (LG 290c) activated on Verizon. I wonder if
                  > anyone else has had success with short codes on a Verizon-activated
                  > Tracfone? RKS

                • sj_cats
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
                    The redbox one worked on a Net10 R355c (Verizon) and a Tracfone Ex124 (AT&T).

                    --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, edwardp@... wrote:

                    > Yes, they have worked for me.
                    >
                    > On 08/08/2011 03:52 PM, Robert Stoddard wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I am using a CDMA Tracfone (LG 290c) activated on Verizon. I wonder if
                    > > anyone else has had success with short codes on a Verizon-activated
                    > > Tracfone? RKS
                  • deb w
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 8, 2011
                      I tried the Redbox thing on my Net10 phone (Samsung 401G). It didn't work.

                      deb

                      To: Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 9, 2011
                        I have also successfully used short codes on AT&T TracFones as well, in
                        the past. It is only on T-Mobile where some work and others do not.

                        On 08/08/2011 07:26 PM, Robert Stoddard wrote:
                        > Hi Edward,
                        >
                        > Well if you are successful with short codes on a Verizon-activated Tracfone, and Eaglesfan is successful with them on ATT, there doesn't seem to be any easy answer to why they don't work for other people, or why Tracfone says the texting "in all likelihood won't go through". RKS

                      • JudyPurrington
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 10, 2011
                          Deb, you might want to try it again. I got the Redbox notices for a year on my Samsung R355C (Straight Talk), and a few months ago I changed to the Samsung 401g. The first time I entered the code, it apparently didn't work, but I entered it again, after that first Monday promo code didn't come. It's worked ever since. Maybe it just doesn't take sometimes. . . .

                          Judy