Name Display & Caller ID

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
      My neighbor just bought a Moto W376g at Radio Shack. When he places a call to someone who has caller ID, a name is displayed ( Not his) along with the phone number. The people who see this strange name on their phones, do not have his number in their address book.

      He claims that his phone was brand new out of a sealed package. Did Radio Shack use a SIM card from another phone which had been returned?

      Can someone tell me how to either delete or change this name? Thanks.
    • Karma Pieces
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
        It may be the name of whoever had his phone number previously. I'm not sure
        what to do to get his name to show up though. I know with my T-Mo To Go and
        my Mom's Tracfone that's on AT&T no name shows up and it usually just says
        Unknowtn Name and just the phone number shows up on the Caller ID.

        On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Paul <przxto99@...> wrote:

        > My neighbor just bought a Moto W376g at Radio Shack. When he places a call
        > to someone who has caller ID, a name is displayed ( Not his) along with the
        > phone number. The people who see this strange name on their phones, do not
        > have his number in their address book.
        >
        > He claims that his phone was brand new out of a sealed package. Did Radio
        > Shack use a SIM card from another phone which had been returned?
        >
        > Can someone tell me how to either delete or change this name? Thanks.

      • hpham_53
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
          Did your neighbor buy a Tracfone W376g at Radio Shack? That name is of the previous person who was assigned that number. You neighbor needs to call his wireless company and ask them to change the name.

          Only the names of "contract" wireless customers are kept in the phone companies database. Calls from Tracfone customers will either show up with the number only, or with the generic "Wireless Call" as the name.

          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <przxto99@...> wrote:

          > My neighbor just bought a Moto W376g at Radio Shack. When he places a call to someone who has caller ID, a name is displayed ( Not his) along with the phone number. Can someone tell me how to either delete or change this name? Thanks.

        • Naim
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
            Is there anyway to have you name and number displayed for callers that have Caller I.D. ?
            Thanks, Joe

                     ---------LATER-------------

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
              If you call from your Tracfone, your number will be displayed, unless you selected the option to not send the number. Calls from Tracfone will not have the name sent, because the carriers (that Tracfone contracts with) don't have your name.

              --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Naim <oscarfeha@...> wrote:

              > Is there anyway to have you name and number displayed for callers that have Caller I.D. ?
              > Thanks, Joe
            • Richard Sheasley
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                Unless the person you are calling has you in their contacts listing then
                the name would appear.... however they entered the contact name. If you are
                not in their contacts listing then only the phone number would appear.

                Richard Sheasley

                At 10:57 PM 2009-11-25 +0000, you wrote:

                >If you call from your Tracfone, your number will be displayed, unless you
                >selected the option to not send the number. Calls from Tracfone will not
                >have the name sent, because the carriers (that Tracfone contracts with)
                >don't have your name.
                >
                >--- In
                ><mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
                >Naim <oscarfeha@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is there anyway to have you name and number displayed for callers that
                > have Caller I.D. ?
                > > Thanks, Joe

              • L M
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                  The phone number used to belong to a contract customer. You might have to call AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. There's no telling with all the porting that goes on. Tracfone does not attach names to phone numbers, so a blank number will have to stay that way for caller id.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                    Where is the option set to send phone number with the call?? Joe

                             ---------LATER-------------

                    If you call from your Tracfone, your number will be displayed, unless you selected the option to not send the number. Calls from Tracfone will not have the name sent, because the carriers (that Tracfone contracts with) don't have your name.

                    --- In Tracfone_Users@ yahoogroups. com, Naim <oscarfeha@. ..> wrote:

                    > Is there anyway to have you name and number displayed for callers that have Caller I.D. ?
                    > Thanks, Joe

                  • Woody
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                      Everything depends on the Brand of phone and model.
                      Reading the manual or just hunting around the phone menu usually works
                      for me.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 25, 2009
                        Yes, he bought a Tracfone at Radio Shack. He doesn't know which network he is on, but will call AT&T first to see if they can help him with this.

                        Thanks again to all who replied.

                        I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

                        Paul

                        -------------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 26, 2009
                          Hi, my model is Moto 376g.. Joe

                                   ---------LATER-------------

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 26, 2009
                            Hi,

                            For the Moto W376g, go to Menu> Settings> Incall Setup> MyCaller I.D.

                            1. Select: Next Call Only
                            OR
                            All Calls

                            2. Select: Show I.D.
                            OR
                            Hide I.D.

                            ------------------------------------

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 26, 2009
                              Thanks, worked fine. Joe

                                       ---------LATER-------------

                              ------------ --------- --------- ------

                              --- In Tracfone_Users@ yahoogroups. com, Naim <oscarfeha@. ..> wrote:

                              > Hi, my model is Moto 376g.. Joe
                              > > Where is the option set to send phone number with the call?? Joe

                            • brainman214
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 26, 2009
                                Paul:
                                Any instructions on how to reinstate my Trac service as i am down to 91 days left?
                                Let me know,Thanks,Noble

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 26, 2009
                                  I thought you got Tracfone through that Safelink program?

                                  On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM, brainman214 <brainman214@...> wrote:

                                  > Paul:
                                  > Any instructions on how to reinstate my Trac service as i am down to 91
                                  > days left?
                                  > Let me know,Thanks,Noble

                                • brainman214
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 26, 2009
                                    Paul:
                                    I do,but i could not reach Lifeline's reregistering hotline due to phone
                                    being in use by other members.If thee are instructions for the W175g,let me
                                    know.Noble
                                    >I thought you got Tracfone through that Safelink program?
                                    >
                                    > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM, brainman214 <brainman214@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> Paul:
                                    >> Any instructions on how to reinstate my Trac service as i am down to 91
                                    >> days left?
                                    >> Let me know,Thanks,Noble

                                  • Richard Sheasley
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                      He can figure out which network he is on before making the call to the
                                      wrong carrier. If you have him open the back of the phone, remove the
                                      battery and look at the SIM info there is a code to determine this. If it
                                      is a T4 then AT&T is where he needs to start. If it is a T5 then T-Mobile
                                      is the carrier. Or you can just visit the official Amber Alert web site and
                                      start the process to sign up for the alerts (YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLETE
                                      IT)....

                                      Richard Sheasley

                                      At 03:02 AM 2009-11-26 +0000, you wrote:

                                      >Yes, he bought a Tracfone at Radio Shack. He doesn't know which network he
                                      >is on, but will call AT&T first to see if they can help him with this.
                                      >
                                      >Thanks again to all who replied.
                                      >
                                      >I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.
                                      >
                                      >Paul
                                      >
                                      >-------------------------------------
                                      >
                                      >--- In
                                      ><mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
                                      >"L M" <kitobu@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > The phone number used to belong to a contract customer. You might have
                                      > to call AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. There's no telling with all the porting that
                                      > goes on. Tracfone does not attach names to phone numbers, so a blank
                                      > number will have to stay that way for caller id.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In
                                      > <mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
                                      > Naim <oscarfeha@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Is there anyway to have you name and number displayed for callers
                                      > that have Caller I.D. ?
                                      > > > Thanks, Joe

                                    • Richard Sheasley
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                        I can't even follow what you are asking for. This thread started out on a
                                        caller id question- how to enable or disable and what is displayed on the
                                        person you are calling's phone.

                                        If you need service time and are a standard Tracfone user, then you either:
                                        purchase a card with additional minutes and service time (90 days usually
                                        for the smaller minute cards out there) or 1 year for the 400 minute card,
                                        or you subscribe to the value plans which are billed monthly depending on
                                        which and what you need (there is one with only additional 30 days of
                                        service and no minutes included), or you have few other options. Until you
                                        are down to 1 or 2 days (unless you are trying to get an actual card
                                        shipped to you) there is not a need to worry about service time. If you are
                                        under the Government subsidized Safelink, then you get minutes and monthly
                                        service time added as part of the program and only when you burn through
                                        your minutes do you have to purchase additional time (which also usually
                                        extends the service time by 90 days or whatever the card you purchase states)

                                        Richard Sheasley

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                          Also the carrier - either AT&T or T-Mobile may in fact refuse to even get
                                          involved in any of the caller ID issues as technically the number has been
                                          transferred over to Tracfone's control and just points to their towers as
                                          the underlying carrier- ie you have no contract with the tower providers
                                          (AT&T or T-Mobile) directly- that has been ported to Tracfone.

                                          Tracfone may in fact have to either make the request for the update or make
                                          the changes depending on the system. I'd start with Executive Resolution on
                                          an issue like this as Customer Service unless they are really experienced
                                          may not even know how to handle a request like this.

                                          Richard Sheasley

                                          At 03:02 AM 2009-11-26 +0000, you wrote:

                                          >Yes, he bought a Tracfone at Radio Shack. He doesn't know which network he
                                          >is on, but will call AT&T first to see if they can help him with this.
                                          >
                                          >Thanks again to all who replied.
                                          >
                                          >I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.
                                          >
                                          >Paul
                                          >
                                          >-------------------------------------
                                          >
                                          >--- In
                                          ><mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
                                          >"L M" <kitobu@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > The phone number used to belong to a contract customer. You might have
                                          > to call AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. There's no telling with all the porting that
                                          > goes on. Tracfone does not attach names to phone numbers, so a blank
                                          > number will have to stay that way for caller id.
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In
                                          > <mailto:Tracfone_Users%40yahoogroups.com>Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com,
                                          > Naim <oscarfeha@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Is there anyway to have you name and number displayed for callers
                                          > that have Caller I.D. ?
                                          > > > Thanks, Joe

                                        • Oscar
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                            Does anyone know if this Tracphone has either "Call Waiting" or "Caller I.D." in regards to incoming calls? Joe

                                                     ---------OSC-------------

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                              This is the Detail or Features page for this phone from Tracfone.
                                              Similar models from different companies may have different features.
                                              Hope this helps.

                                              http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/PhoneDetails.do?action=view&productVariantExtensionId=2508288

                                              Oscar wrote:
                                              > Does anyone know if this Tracphone has either "Call Waiting" or "Caller I.D." in regards to incoming calls? Joe

                                            • rws52
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 27, 2009
                                                --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Richard Sheasley <rsheasley@...> wrote:

                                                > I'd start with Executive Resolution on
                                                > an issue like this as Customer Service unless they are really experienced
                                                > may not even know how to handle a request like this.

                                                That's where the honest CSR says "I don't have a script for THAT.
                                                The typical CSR will just say "Wait 48 hours to see if it corrects itself, then call back and hope somebody other than me gets the call"
                                              • brainman214
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                  Karma:
                                                  I got this taken care of,got my 68 mins. and 464 days extended service from
                                                  Safelink(Tracfone).I'm all set! Thanks,Noble