Re: [Tracfone_Users] Newbie w/questions getting started on Tracfone

  • solar_guru
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
      Anthough someone will likely answer all of your questions, I would suggest that you start by searching the archives .... most/all of the info you seek is there. Then, ask specific questions you still have.

      I will add that the W376 is GSM but that personally I'd spring for the LG600

      "mikemax46@..." <mikemax@...> wrote: Boy, where do I start????

      1. Is a GSM phone preferable? Is the Motorola W376g (Bluetooth
      enabled) phone a GSM?

      2. The W376g seems to offer the "most for the least"--free roaming,
      texting, Bluetooth, and the ever-popular free shipping. Do users
      consider this a reliable phone? If not, is there another Bluetooth
      phone I should consider?

      3. Please explain how DMFL works. This phone has it for life. When I
      buy an airtime card, does it have to have DM or do I get DM with any
      card? When I activate the card, do I have to enter codes to get DM?

      4. I would like to use the 55118 300 minute bonus code. Do I do this
      at activation, or can I do it later? Which card do I buy?

      5. I would be switching from a Verizon post-paid plan. Would the
      process be to activate online, then call customer service to port the
      old number over? Will I then need a new SIM card because I previously
      activated?

      6. Most of the bonus offers expired yesterday. Are new bonus offers
      ongoing? Are they worth waiting for?

      7. Does Tracfone still offer RAF bonuses?

      8. This phone's user does not use his phone much. How long is airtime
      valid? If the period is short, say 1 or 2 months, is there a way to
      extend it?

      <i>Note: I live in the GSM5AT service area, if that makes a
      difference.</i?

      I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my values system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal. -- Milton Friedman

    • mikemax46@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thanks for your answer to the GSM question. Why is the LG600 better?

        See, here's the deal about being a newbie...you have no idea how to
        navigate the site. I have tried to use the search feature, and still
        had these questions. Is there a separate archives (and how do I get
        there?) or are the "archives" simply old posts that I've already been
        searching (unsuccessfully).

        TIA.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
          ...and I agree, it's a better phone with better features (plus I have
          had two LG phones with Verizon and found them very reliable). I hadn't
          realized it was Bluetooth enabled. That's the #1 feature I am looking for.

          I make international calls occasionally (usually from landline) so
          same rate calls is a nice feature. Do you know if this phone can be
          used overseas to call the US? Would I need a new SIM card?

          Please understand that I am technology-impaired when you reply. LOL.

          Thanks!

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
            Tracfone can only be use in the US. You can call out internationally BUT you can not use it to call from another country to the US (And that even means right across the border in Canada .... they will shut the phone off.

            "mikemax46@..." <mikemax@...> wrote: ...and I agree, it's a better phone with better features (plus I have

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
              OK, having read your other posts I'll hit a few key points

              1) W376g is GSM and bluetooth but many of the usual bluetooth features are disabled such as downlooading pictures from the phone to the computer ..instead you have to email them to yourself (and pay to do so. The LG 600 is as close to a real full feature cell phone that Tracfone offers.

              2) See above

              3) DMFL means add a 60 minute card and it doubles it to 120 minutes. Any bonus code will be above and beyond that. No special codes with DMFL, just for any additional bonus codes

              4) It would be during activation ... If your actually buying a 400 minute / 1 year card from tracfone just enter that bonus code and you should end up with 1120 minutes and 14 months of service. If your talking about any "gray area" use of the code that scams the system ... I would never advise that on a phone that your going to actually be using .... I fear that Tracfones fraud dept. will get involved at some point and I would never risk a phone number that was important to me.

              5) To port it the new phone will have to be unactivated, if you activate it they will have to send you a new sim card to complete the transfer. I suggest that you call CS and ask them to talk you through the porting process

              6) Bonus codes often work well past the official end date .... and free minutes are free minutes .... I think they are worth it.

              7) RAF has been gone for a very long time

              8) A $19.99 most cards (60, 120, 200, 450) give 90 days of air time. You can buy a one year card, or get on a plan that adds minutes as needed ... refer to the tracfone site for more info.

              Hope this helps,

              Happy New Year,

              Allan

[...]

            • Mark Lemon
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
                I noticed at Kroger yesterday that their One Year cards only have 250
                min. on them...
                Their one year double minute card had 400 min.
                didn't see a price. I'm guessing they're reducing the amount of minutes
                for the same price???
                > If your actually buying a 400 minute / 1 year card from tracfone just enter that bonus code and you should end up with 1120 minutes and 14 months of service. If your talking about any "gray area"
              • hpham_53
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Mark Lemon <mlemon@...> wrote:

                  > I noticed at Kroger yesterday that their One Year cards only have 250
                  > min. on them... Their one year double minute card had 400 min.
                  > I'm guessing they're reducing the amount of minutes
                  > for the same price???

                  No, they actually increased the minutes for the same price. The 1-yr
                  card with 250 minutes must be several years old. That's what it used
                  to have, before they increased it to 400. (I think there was another
                  bump between 250 and 400).
                • dustymlane
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
                    Those 250-minute cards must be old inventory. They predated the
                    400-minute cards.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
                      The one year card used to be 250 minutes for $99.99 I believe. That then changed to 400 minutes for $99.99

                      Many store have old hanging inventory. This sounds like the case in your instance. When I activated one about a year ago I got 400 minutes, plus 400 for DMFL plus 200 on a bonus code. So, regardless of whats on the card I'm betting that it's just old stock (but I wouldn't take a chance ... I'd find one that said 400 minutes.

                      Mark Lemon <mlemon@...> wrote: I noticed at Kroger yesterday that their One Year cards only have 250
                      min. on them...
                      Their one year double minute card had 400 min.
                      didn't see a price. I'm guessing they're reducing the amount of minutes
                      for the same price???
                      > If your actually buying a 400 minute / 1 year card from tracfone just enter that bonus code and you should end up with 1120 minutes and 14 months of service. If your talking about any "gray area"

                      I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my values system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal. -- Milton Friedman

                    • Richard Sheasley
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                        As for your first question- you need to look at the service coverage. I too
                        am in a GSM5AT area- many of the stores only sell GSM phones (for either
                        AT&T or worst for my area T-Mobile) - but Verizon and the CDMA has the
                        better coverage. So just got a new CDMA phone last week for my father.

                        Look at these links for coverage- and do your own comparison on the
                        Tarcfone web site for your zip code:

                        For Tracfone:
                        http://www.tracfone.com/jsplib/verify_mapcov.jsp

                        Here is Net10:
                        http://www.net10.com/cellular_coverage.jsp?nextPage=cellular_coverage.jsp&task=cellcov
                        and when I enter my zip:
                        http://www.net10.com/jsplib/verify_mapcov.jsp (Which I suspect is GSM under
                        AT&T but not 100% sure)
                        You can do the same for CDMA etc. if you know some zips with specific
                        service coverage.

                        I also saw a service map from a Net10 brochure (assume the maps should be
                        similar since they are on the same 3 primary networks) and GSM truly is
                        weaker than the Verizon CDMA coverage map shown too.

                        http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?market=all
                        http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
                        http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

                        If you have good coverage on your existing Verizon phone then you may want
                        to stay with a CDMA phone. However none offer Bluetooth at this time from
                        Tracfone.

                        Richard Sheasley

                        At 05:22 PM 2009-01-01 +0000, you wrote:

                        >Boy, where do I start????
                        >
                        >1. Is a GSM phone preferable? Is the Motorola W376g (Bluetooth
                        >enabled) phone a GSM?
                        >
                        >2. The W376g seems to offer the "most for the least"--free roaming,
                        >texting, Bluetooth, and the ever-popular free shipping. Do users
                        >consider this a reliable phone? If not, is there another Bluetooth
                        >phone I should consider?
                        >
                        >3. Please explain how DMFL works. This phone has it for life. When I
                        >buy an airtime card, does it have to have DM or do I get DM with any
                        >card? When I activate the card, do I have to enter codes to get DM?
                        >
                        >4. I would like to use the 55118 300 minute bonus code. Do I do this
                        >at activation, or can I do it later? Which card do I buy?
                        >
                        >5. I would be switching from a Verizon post-paid plan. Would the
                        >process be to activate online, then call customer service to port the
                        >old number over? Will I then need a new SIM card because I previously
                        >activated?
                        >
                        >6. Most of the bonus offers expired yesterday. Are new bonus offers
                        >ongoing? Are they worth waiting for?
                        >
                        >7. Does Tracfone still offer RAF bonuses?
                        >
                        >8. This phone's user does not use his phone much. How long is airtime
                        >valid? If the period is short, say 1 or 2 months, is there a way to
                        >extend it?
                        >
                        ><i>Note: I live in the GSM5AT service area, if that makes a
                        >difference.</i?

                      • Candy Hughes
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                          however, do not necessarily put 100% faith in the Verizon coverage-area maps

                          Verizon shows solid coverage north of me --- but despite what the ads
                          claim, there are stretches of that road with no service on my CDMA
                          phone (Kyocera 126), two bars' worth of service on my AT&T phone
                          (Moto C139) where there supposedly isn't any service ! and one
                          intermittent bar (sometimes usable sometimes not) on my contract
                          Sprint phone

                          and there are some areas of that road when ALL the phones show
                          "looking for service"

                          Cat
                        • mikemax46@ymail.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                            I live in a rural area with lots of mountains. Verizon has the best
                            coverage, with the fewest "black holes." A friend has AT&T, and it
                            isn't bad. T-Mobile isn't quite as good as AT&T.

                            Now, I have a question: in our service area, will it be AT&T
                            would be great, "or"--if it was T-Mobile--would not be as good. Is
                            there a way to tell in advance which provider you will be using? Is it
                            determined by which phone you buy? (I've ordered an LG600g).
                          • Candy Hughes
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                              no -- the carrier that will be your phone's "home system" is
                              determined by the SIM card installed in that phone

                              it doesn't matter what model of GSM phone you get, it is the SIM card
                              which specifies which carrier the phone will activate upon

                              CDMA phone, different story -- but you have ordered a GSM phone

                              I sent you a private email, be sure to read it

                              Cat
                            • Richard Sheasley
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Yes, the primary carrier is determined by your market and the phone code.

                                Read through the Tracfone info on the this very helpful site:
                                http://thejmart.com/links.htm

                                Your market is based on zip code when ordering on line - in your case you
                                stated GSM5AT which is TMobile or AT&T. Some state that it could depend on
                                the phone model or the amount of telephone numbers that Trac has received
                                from the 2 GSM carriers (I do not know the logic- but my first phone from
                                the same market code was a P5- T-Mobile phone.) If purchasing in a store
                                then the code for AT&T is a P4 in the model code on the bottom of the
                                package, or a P5 is a T-Mobile sim.

                                As for the which carrier: it really depends. If you can hit a tower of the
                                primary carrier, even at weak strength then you probably will not be
                                roaming over to the other. If you can't get a signal at all from the
                                primary, then it will roam to try and get a signal from the other. But
                                there is nothing to guarantee that you will always hit the strongest tower
                                or will not drop a call and have to pick up another tower ever with cell
                                phones- especially in rural areas that are not close to major interstates
                                (which quite a few of the carriers cover pretty much 99.999% of the
                                interstate highways.)

                                Richard Sheasley

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                  Well, let's simplify matters. You indicated that you ordered an LG
                                  600. In order for MMS to work on this phone, it will need to be
                                  activated on ATT. Many customers have reported that MMS will not work
                                  if the phone is assigned to the T-Mobile network.

                                  If the barcode sticker on the bottom of the package includes P4 in the
                                  model code (i.e., TFLG600P4DM), the phone contains a C4 (ATT) SIM and
                                  you are good to go. If the model code includes P5, the phone has a T5
                                  (T-Mobile) SIM and you would be well advised to not even begin the
                                  activation process until you are provided with a C4 SIM by Tracfone.
                                  The reason? It seems that during the initial activation, certain
                                  gateway parameters are coded for the network with which the SIM is
                                  connecting and, apparently, these parameters don't automatically
                                  change if the phone is reactivated with a new SIM for a different network.

                                  Personally, I wouldn't order a W370, W376 or 600G from Tracfone's
                                  online store unless I were providing an activation zipcode that was
                                  strictly GSM4. The phone doesn't have to be activated with that
                                  zipcode. It's just for ordering purposes, to ensure getting the
                                  proper SIM card.

                                  If your phone is activated with an ATT SIM, you should have coverage
                                  equal to that of an ATT postpaid (contract) customer. In areas where
                                  ATT has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile, the phone should be able to
                                  roam onto that network.

                                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "mikemax46@..." <mikemax@...>

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                    What is MMS?

                                    I have done some research and T-mobile produces only 2 bars where I
                                    live, AT&T has 5...so, if I get a T-mobile SIM, I'm definitely calling
                                    customer service! Wish I had known all this stuff before I
                                    ordered...but at least I am learning!

                                    --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "dustymlane" <dustymlane@...>

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                      MMS is multimedia message service which some phones can do in addition to
                                      SMS (short message service where you are usually limited to a few
                                      (~hundred) characters on each message).

                                      http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/Multimedia_Message_Service.html
                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

                                      Richard Sheasley

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                        From Phonescoop:

                                        <Snip>

                                        Multimedia Messaging Service

                                        MMS is a descendant of SMS (Short Messaging Service). MMS extends text
                                        messaging to include longer text, graphics, photos, audio clips, video
                                        clips, or any combination of the above, within certain size limits.

                                        MMS is frequently used to send photos and videos from camera phones to
                                        other MMS phones or email accounts. Most camera phones have MMS, but
                                        many non-camera phones have it as well.

                                        <Snip>