Blocking text and unwanted phone calls on a tracfone

  • ladynred777
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 6 5:38 AM
      How can blocking texts and unwamted calls be done... on certain
      tracfones or all?
    • Earl the Pearl
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 6 9:05 PM
        That depends on what an "unwanted call" is.

        --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "ladynred777" <brandimae513@...>

      • brandimae513@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 6 9:20 PM
          i want no text messages at all how do i block? as far as blocking
          calls, meaning other than family who will have my number

          --- In _Tracfone_Users@Tracfone_UseTra_
          (mailto:Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com) , "ladynred777" <brandimae513@bra>
          wrote:

          > How can blocking texts and unwamted calls be done... on certain
          > tracfones or all?

        • Andrew Haninger
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 6 9:49 PM
            On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM, <brandimae513@...> wrote:
            > I would prefer not to receive any text messages. How could I block them?
            This is going to be difficult to impossible to do. TracFone can't do
            it as they don't provide your phone service. The best option is either
            to get a model that gets free incoming (v170 is about the easiest to
            obtain these days - $29.99+SH from TF with 120 minutes) or to delete
            the messages without opening them. Either way you will not waste
            precious units on texts.

            > Regarding blocking calls: How could I block calls from anyone except those people to whom
            > I've explicitly given my number?
            Again - difficult to impossible as it would require you to deal with
            your actual cell phone service provider and you are not their customer
            - TracFone is! Even if they did listen to you, you'd have to tell them
            to block all calls except ones on a white list. Good luck.

            It might be possible if you get a GrandCentral.com number and see if
            you can handle the white list yourself.

            Hope this helps.

            Andy

            P.S. Oh, and sorry about rewriting your email. It simply had to be done.
          • brandimae513@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 6 10:48 PM
              I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free incoming calls,
              is the dmfl still apply to the v170
              ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?

              In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              ahaning@... writes:

              On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM, <_brandimae513@brandim_
              (mailto:brandimae513@...) > wrote:
              > I would prefer not to receive any text messages. How could I block them?
              This is going to be difficult to impossible to do. TracFone can't do
              it as they don't provide your phone service. The best option is either
              to get a model that gets free incoming (v170 is about the easiest to
              obtain these days - $29.99+SH from TF with 120 minutes) or to delete
              the messages without opening them. Either way you will not waste
              precious units on texts.

              > Regarding blocking calls: How could I block calls from anyone except those
              people to whom
              > I've explicitly given my number?
              Again - difficult to impossible as it would require you to deal with
              your actual cell phone service provider and you are not their customer
              - TracFone is! Even if they did listen to you, you'd have to tell them
              to block all calls except ones on a white list. Good luck.

              It might be possible if you get a GrandCentral.It might be possible if y

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 6 10:50 PM
                Deleting the text messages and not opening them is easy to do...With
                nextel if a text msg is sent whether i open it or not im charged.... another
                sucky deal

                _ahaning@..._ (mailto:ahaning@...) writes:

                On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM, <_brandimae513@_brandima
                (mailto:_brandimae513@brandim_ (mailto:brandimae513@...) ) > wrote:
                > I would prefer not to receive any text messages. How could I block them?
                This is going to be difficult to impossible to do. TracFone can't do
                it as they don't provide your phone service. The best option is either
                to get a model that gets free incoming (v170 is about the easiest to
                obtain these days - $29.99+SH from TF with 120 minutes) or to delete
                the messages without opening them. Either way you will not waste
                precious units on texts.

                > Regarding blocking calls: How could I block calls from anyone except those
                people to whom
                > I've explicitly given my number?
                Again - difficult to impossible as it would require you to deal with
                your actual cell phone service provider and you are not their customer
                - TracFone is! Even if they did listen to you, you'd have to tell them
                to block all calls except ones on a white list. Good luck.

                It might be possible if you get a GrandCentral.It might be possible if you g
                you can handle the white list yourself.

                Hope this helps.

                Andy

                P.S. Oh, and sorry about rewriting your email. It simply had to be done.

                ************************<WBR>**Planning your summer road trip? Check out AO
                (_http://travel.http://travel.http://travelhttp://travehttp://travel.<Whttp_
                (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016) )

              • Earl the Pearl
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 7 12:03 AM
                  I believe some TracFones have text blocking and one can set the phone
                  not to ring on numbers that are not in your phone book.

                  I'm not going to read the fine manual to find out which ones. You do
                  have a fine manual do you not?

                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, brandimae513@... wrote:

                  > Deleting the text messages and not opening them is easy to
                  do...With
                  > nextel if a text msg is sent whether i open it or not im
                  charged.... another
                  > sucky deal
                  >

                  > In a message dated 4/7/2008 1:48:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > brandimae513@... writes:
                  >

                  > I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free incoming
                  calls,
                  > is the dmfl still apply to the v170
                  > ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?
                  >

                  > In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > _ahaning@..._ (mailto:ahaning@...) writes:
                  >
                  > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM, <_brandimae513@_brandima
                  > (mailto:_brandimae513@brandim_ (mailto:brandimae513@...) ) > wrote:
                  > > I would prefer not to receive any text messages. How could I
                  block them?
                  > This is going to be difficult to impossible to do. TracFone can't
                  do
                  > it as they don't provide your phone service. The best option is
                  either
                  > to get a model that gets free incoming (v170 is about the easiest
                  > obtain these days - $29.99+SH from TF with 120 minutes) or to
                  delete
                  > the messages without opening them. Either way you will not waste
                  > precious units on texts.
                  >
                  > > Regarding blocking calls: How could I block calls from anyone
                  except those
                  > people to whom
                  > > I've explicitly given my number?
                  > Again - difficult to impossible as it would require you to deal
                  with
                  > your actual cell phone service provider and you are not their
                  customer
                  > - TracFone is! Even if they did listen to you, you'd have to tell
                  them
                  > to block all calls except ones on a white list. Good luck.
                  >
                  > It might be possible if you get a GrandCentral.It might be possible
                  if you g
                  > you can handle the white list yourself.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Andy
                  >
                  > P.S. Oh, and sorry about rewriting your email. It simply had to be
                  done.

                  > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
                  Guides.
                  > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?
                  ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                • deb hem
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 7 4:03 AM
                    It's not free incoming calls, it's free incoming TEXT on certain models.

                  • brandimae513@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 7 4:05 AM
                      Oh ok ty... i don't do texting...ty

                      In a message dated 4/7/2008 7:04:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      debhem@... writes:

                      It's not free incoming calls, it's free incoming TEXT on certain models.

                      --- _brandimae513@brandim_ (mailto:brandimae513@...) wrote:

                      > I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free incoming calls,
                      > is the dmfl still apply to the v170
                      > ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?
                      >

                      > In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > _ahaning@..._ (mailto:ahaning@...) writes:

                      You rock. That's why Blockbuster'You rock. That's why Blockbuster'<WBR>s
                      offering you one month
                      _http://tc.deals.http://tc.http://tc.dealshttp://tc_
                      (http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com)

                    • brandimae513@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 7 4:11 AM
                        i see so many codes and phones and deals since ive signed up in this
                        group ...Im trying to figure which is the best deal for double mins/ and a
                        phone. i bought a c139w/ double minutes for life, and bought a 200 min
                        card which will double to 400 mins are there codes i can enter when i
                        activate the phone and add the paid card? appreciate all the tips

                        debhem@... writes:

                        It's not free incoming calls, it's free incoming TEXT on certain models.

                        --- _brandimae513@brandim_ (mailto:brandimae513@...) wrote:

                        > I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free incoming calls,
                        > is the dmfl still apply to the v170
                        > ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?
                        >

                        > In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > _ahaning@..._ (mailto:ahaning@...) writes:

                        You rock. That's why Blockbuster'You rock. That's why Blockbuster'<WBR>s
                        offering you one month
                        _http://tc.deals.http://tc.http://tc.dealshttp://tc_
                        (http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com)

                      • Zena
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 7 4:36 AM
                          enter the people you want calls from in your phone book when it rings
                          look at the screen and see who is calling, if you get a call from
                          anyone else don't answer it and you won't get charged. If you answer
                          it you will be charged.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 7 5:23 AM
                            Duh...it's Monday alright and a Blonde morning at that lol that's exactly
                            what i do with my nextel if i dont know the number or the name i dont
                            answer thanks :)

                            (mailto:Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com) , brandimae513@, bran

                            > I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free
                            incoming calls,
                            > is the dmfl still apply to the v170
                            > ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?
                            >

                            > In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            > ahaning@... writes:
                            >

                            > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM, <_brandimae513@_brandima
                            > (mailto:brandimae51 (mailt> wrote:
                            > > I would prefer not to receive any text messages. How could I
                            block them?
                            > This is going to be difficult to impossible to do. TracFone can't
                            do
                            > it as they don't provide your phone service. The best option is
                            either
                            > to get a model that gets free incoming (v170 is about the easiest
                            > obtain these days - $29.99+SH from TF with 120 minutes) or to
                            delete
                            > the messages without opening them. Either way you will not waste
                            > precious units on texts.
                            >
                            > > Regarding blocking calls: How could I block calls from anyone
                            except those
                            > people to whom
                            > > I've explicitly given my number?
                            > Again - difficult to impossible as it would require you to deal
                            with
                            > your actual cell phone service provider and you are not their
                            customer
                            > - TracFone is! Even if they did listen to you, you'd have to tell
                            them
                            > to block all calls except ones on a white list. Good luck.
                            >
                            > It might be possible if you get a GrandCentral. It might be possible
                            if y
                            > you can handle the white list yourself.
                            >
                            > Hope this helps.
                            >
                            > Andy
                            >
                            > P.S. Oh, and sorry about rewriting your email. It simply had to be
                            done.

                            > ************ ************<WBR>**Planning your summer road trip? Check o
                            Guides.
                            > (_http://travel.http://travel.http://travelhttp://_
                            (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?)
                            ncid=aoltrv00030000ncid=ao

                          • Jerry Risinger
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 7 6:39 AM
                              You can disable voice mail. I decided to have mine disabled when I
                              opened one that the caller had me on "hold", with elevator music
                              playing and a "please continue to hold" recording. It takes just a few
                              minutes for Trac or T-Mobile to disable it. If I miss a call from
                              someone I want to talk to I just call um back.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 7 6:43 AM
                                I'll note that... good point thanks

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 7 6:52 AM
                                  Yes i do have a manual

                                  In a message dated 4/7/2008 9:45:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  i_earl_the_pearl@... writes:

                                  I believe some TracFones have text blocking and one can set the phone
                                  not to ring on numbers that are not in your phone book.

                                  I'm not going to read the fine manual to find out which ones. You do
                                  have a fine manual do you not?

                                  --- In _Tracfone_Users@Tracfone_UseTra_
                                  (mailto:Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com) , brandimae513@, bran

                                  > Deleting the text messages and not opening them is easy to
                                  do...With
                                  > nextel if a text msg is sent whether i open it or not im
                                  charged.... another
                                  > sucky deal
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 4/7/2008 1:48:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  > brandimae513@ brandimae5
                                  >

                                  > I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free incoming
                                  calls,
                                  > is the dmfl still apply to the v170
                                  > ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  > _ahaning@... _ahaning@...<WBR> _ahaning@..
                                  >
                                  > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:20 AM, <_brandimae513@_brandima
                                  > (mailto:_brandimae5 (mailto:_brandimae5<WBR>13 (mai> wrote:
                                  > > I would prefer not to receive any text messages. How could I
                                  block them?
                                  > This is going to be difficult to impossible to do. TracFone can't
                                  do
                                  > it as they don't provide your phone service. The best option is
                                  either
                                  > to get a model that gets free incoming (v170 is about the easiest
                                  > obtain these days - $29.99+SH from TF with 120 minutes) or to
                                  delete
                                  > the messages without opening them. Either way you will not waste
                                  > precious units on texts.
                                  >
                                  > > Regarding blocking calls: How could I block calls from anyone
                                  except those
                                  > people to whom
                                  > > I've explicitly given my number?
                                  > Again - difficult to impossible as it would require you to deal
                                  with
                                  > your actual cell phone service provider and you are not their
                                  customer
                                  > - TracFone is! Even if they did listen to you, you'd have to tell
                                  them
                                  > to block all calls except ones on a white list. Good luck.
                                  >
                                  > It might be possible if you get a GrandCentral. It might be possible
                                  if you g
                                  > you can handle the white list yourself.
                                  >
                                  > Hope this helps.
                                  >
                                  > Andy
                                  >
                                  > P.S. Oh, and sorry about rewriting your email. It simply had to be
                                  done.

                                  > ************ **** <WBR>**<WBR>*Planning your summer road
                                  Check out AO

                                  (__http://travel.http://travel.http://travel.<Whttp://travel.http://tr_
                                  (http://travel.http//travel.http://travelhttp://travehttp://travel.) <
                                  Whttp_
                                  > (_http://travel.http://travel.http://travelhttp://_
                                  (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?)
                                  ncid=aoltrv00030000ncid=aoltrv00

                                  > ************ ************<WBR>**Planning your summer road trip? Check o
                                  Guides.
                                  > (_http://travel.http://travel.http://travelhttp://_
                                  (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?)
                                  ncid=aoltrv00030000ncid=ao

                                • Jane Doe
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 7 7:08 PM
                                    54969 should get you 100 bonus minutes on a 200-minute card, for a total
                                    of 500 minutes (200 card + 200 DMFL + 100 bonus = 500)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 7 8:34 PM
                                      Activate the phone first. You will get two months and 20 units. Do
                                      not add the card until you know the phone works. Then add the card on
                                      the web. Codes are in the data base of this group.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 8 9:44 AM
                                        DMFL is that till an expiration date or till the phone doesn't operate
                                        any longer/ or is outdated by a new technology?

                                        In a message dated 4/7/2008 11:59:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        i_earl_the_pearl@... writes:

                                        Activate the phone first. You will get two months and 20 units. Do
                                        not add the card until you know the phone works. Then add the card on
                                        the web. Codes are in the data base of this group.

                                        -- In _Tracfone_Users@Tracfone_UseTra_
                                        (mailto:Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com) , brandimae513@, bran

                                        > i see so many codes and phones and deals since ive signed up in
                                        this
                                        > group ...Im trying to figure which is the best deal for double
                                        mins/ and a
                                        > phone. i bought a c139w/ double minutes for life, and bought
                                        a 200 min
                                        > card which will double to 400 mins are there codes i can enter
                                        when i
                                        > activate the phone and add the paid card? appreciate all the tips
                                        >

                                        > In a message dated 4/7/2008 7:04:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        > debhem@... writes:
                                        >

                                        > It's not free incoming calls, it's free incoming TEXT on certain
                                        models.

                                        > --- _brandimae513@ --- _brandimae513@<WBR>brandim_ --- _brandim
                                        >
                                        > > I didn't know there was a phone with tracfone with free incoming
                                        calls,
                                        > > is the dmfl still apply to the v170
                                        > > ? Also have do i get credit for wrong calls made to my phone?
                                        > >

                                        > > In a message dated 4/7/2008 12:49:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        > > _ahaning@... _ahaning@... _ahanin
                                        >
                                        > ____________ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
                                        > You rock. That's why Blockbuster' You rock. That's why
                                        Blockbuster'<WBR>s
                                        > offering you one month
                                        > __http://tc.deals.http://tc.http://tc.http://tc.http:_
                                        (http://tc.deals.http//tc.http://tc.dealshttp://tc_)
                                        > (_http://tc.deals.http://tc.http://tc.dealshttp://tc_
                                        (http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com) )

                                        > ************ ************<WBR>**Planning your summer road trip? Che
                                        Guides.
                                        > (_http://travel.http://travel.http://travelhttp://_
                                        (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?)
                                        ncid=aoltrv00030000ncid=ao

                                      • melinda cook
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 8 11:25 AM
                                          Are you sure the v170 has free incoming text? If so Im going to order one for my stepdaughter because she texts alot and has a friend that is always texting her...In my zipcode there is a v170 with 120 min. card for $29.99 and I have a double min for life card left over (I've been holding on to it)from the C139 valentinen promo.
                                          Melinda

                                          To: Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.comFrom: ahaning@...: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 00:49:31 -0400Subject: Re: [Tracfone_Users] Re: Blocking text and unwanted phone calls on a tracfone

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 8 11:52 AM
                                            My son uses the black tracfone Motorola V170 and it's incoming messages are free it's like a flip phone version of the C155

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 8 12:39 PM
                                              If you can find one, the Nokia 1100 and 2600 both have free incoming text.

                                              The free incoming text phones are - Motorola c155 and V170; Nokia 1100 and 2600 (and 3390 if you can find one).

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 9 3:45 AM
                                                It must be till the phone doesn't operate any longer. I've heard people say that they've had a
                                                phone unactivated and then reactivated and it still had DMFL on the phone.

                                                --- brandimae513@... wrote:

                                                > DMFL is that till an expiration date or till the phone doesn't operate
                                                > any longer/ or is outdated by a new technology?

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • Doug
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 9 6:03 AM
                                                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, melinda cook
                                                  <melinda_cook68@...> wrote:

                                                  > Are you sure the v170 has free incoming text? If so Im going to
                                                  order one for my stepdaughter because she texts alot and has a friend
                                                  that is always texting her...In my zipcode there is a v170 with 120
                                                  min. card for $29.99 and I have a double min for life card left over
                                                  (I've been holding on to it)from the C139 valentinen promo.
                                                  > Melinda

                                                  Indeed it does. The V170 may not have all of the bells and whistles
                                                  most teens crave, but its great when it comes to the free incoming
                                                  texts. And not too shabby on the outbound, either.
                                                • Andrew Haninger
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 9 6:42 AM
                                                    On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Doug <sol_fan@...> wrote:
                                                    > The V170 may not have all of the bells and whistles most teens crave,
                                                    > but its great when it comes to the free incoming texts. And not too
                                                    > shabby on the outbound, either.
                                                    Also nice is the Alarm Clock feature. It's a great supplement to your
                                                    normal alarm clock. And it even works when the phone is off, so you
                                                    can set it next to your real alarm clock and it won't produce that
                                                    annoying GSM buzzing noise from the alarm clock's speaker.

                                                    Andy
                                                  • r26261
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 9 2:06 PM
                                                      I have had at least 5 phones that have had DMFL be deactivated then
                                                      reactivated with the DMFL still intact.

                                                      --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, deb hem <debhem@...> wrote:

                                                      > It must be till the phone doesn't operate any longer. I've heard
                                                      people say that they've had a
                                                      > phone unactivated and then reactivated and it still had DMFL on
                                                      the phone.

                                                      > --- brandimae513@... wrote:
                                                      >

                                                      > > DMFL is that till an expiration date or till the phone
                                                      doesn't operate
                                                      > > any longer/ or is outdated by a new technology?

                                                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                                    • john_galt_usa
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 9 8:46 PM
                                                        <brandimae513@...> wrote:

                                                        > How can blocking texts and unwamted calls be done... on certain
                                                        > tracfones or all?

                                                        The others on here are making this sound much more difficult than it is.

                                                        You don't say which phone you have. Actually, I think I saw a reply
                                                        where you say you have a C139 with DMFL. On that phone, there is an
                                                        option to block calls from anyone not in your phone book. The feature
                                                        is called "Call Barring" on the Motorola phones. The manual isn't
                                                        really all that clear about the call barring feature. Some exploration
                                                        is probably necessary.

                                                        I think you need the SIM password in order to activate or change the
                                                        call barring settings. You can get that password through the tech
                                                        support area on the TracFone website. It's late and I don't feel like
                                                        experimenting with my old C139 right now, or I'd give you more
                                                        details.

                                                        The other Motorola phones have similar features, and I think it is
                                                        fairly common on most cell phones. You can usually restrict incoming
                                                        calls to those that are in the phone book, and you can limit outgoing
                                                        calls as well, or block all incoming calls or block all outgoing calls.
                                                      • Bill
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 1, 2008
                                                          I just used Promo Code 54969 with a 200 minute purchase at
                                                          tracfone.com on my LG-200 with DMFL from SW Minnesota (Alltel)and
                                                          received:

                                                          200 minutes + 200 DMFL minutes + 100 BONUS MINUTES = 500 Min.

                                                          That is less than eight cents/min.

                                                          So code 54969 is working as of 1:00 pm CDT on 5/1/08.