Re: [Tracfone_Users] SIM CARD - TF64SIMC4

  • Thomas G. Tamura
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 5, 2007
      I sort of asked this same question a few months ago and while I knew that
      the "64" meant more memory (as in 64K,) I did not notice any difference in
      the performance or any other changes in service and no one posted saying
      that they experienced any change. Some even said that the phones they were
      buying (both refurbished and new) still had the old TFSIMC4 cards. The last
      set of twofers I bought (C139's) had the new 64K cards, but I see a few
      sellers on eBay selling the older cards and I even bought a few, but have
      not had chance to try to activate it. May get told by Tracfone that I need
      a new 64K card? I find it interesting that you have noticed a change, but
      it not be the SIM card, but the better phone model (stronger signal?) and/or
      improvements in the network?

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
        My home area was T-Mobile territory for Tracfone purposes until AT&T
        put up a cell in my town. Now my zip is designated AT&T territory on
        Tracfone's coverage map.

        --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas G. Tamura"
        <ttamura@...> wrote:

        > I sort of asked this same question a few months ago and while I knew
        that
        > the "64" meant more memory (as in 64K,) I did not notice any
        difference in
        > the performance or any other changes in service and no one posted
        saying
        > that they experienced any change. Some even said that the phones
        they were
        > buying (both refurbished and new) still had the old TFSIMC4 cards.
        The last
        > set of twofers I bought (C139's) had the new 64K cards, but I see a few
        > sellers on eBay selling the older cards and I even bought a few, but
        have
        > not had chance to try to activate it. May get told by Tracfone that
        I need
        > a new 64K card? I find it interesting that you have noticed a
        change, but
        > it not be the SIM card, but the better phone model (stronger
        signal?) and/or
        > improvements in the network?

      • sarahjanesmithdoctorwho
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
          How can you tell on the coverage map if you are AT&T or T-Mobile?

          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "dustymlane" <dustymlane@...>
          wrote:

          > My home area was T-Mobile territory for Tracfone purposes until AT&T
          > put up a cell in my town. Now my zip is designated AT&T territory
          on
          > Tracfone's coverage map.
          >
          > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas G. Tamura"
          > <ttamura@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I sort of asked this same question a few months ago and while I
          knew
          > that
          > > the "64" meant more memory (as in 64K,) I did not notice any
          > difference in
          > > the performance or any other changes in service and no one posted
          > saying
          > > that they experienced any change. Some even said that the phones
          > they were
          > > buying (both refurbished and new) still had the old TFSIMC4
          cards.
          > The last
          > > set of twofers I bought (C139's) had the new 64K cards, but I see
          a few
          > > sellers on eBay selling the older cards and I even bought a few,
          but
          > have
          > > not had chance to try to activate it. May get told by Tracfone
          that
          > I need
          > > a new 64K card? I find it interesting that you have noticed a
          > change, but
          > > it not be the SIM card, but the better phone model (stronger
          > signal?) and/or
          > > improvements in the network?

        • Big Fat Hairy Dude
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
            A SIM has stored within it a PRL, or Preferred Network List.

            TECHIES: See footnote at the end.

            Basically, a PRL tells the phone which network(s) to prefer.
            (Simple, eh?) The PRL is (was) a linear list. The first network on
            the list is preferred, then the next one, then the next one, and so
            on. There is (was) no concept of two networks being equal.

            When there are two different signals (from two different towers)
            _within_ a network -- if they are both Cingular signals for example --
            then they are equally preferred. The phone will lock on to the
            strongest signal.

            However, taking for example Cingular vs. T-Mobile, if you have a
            Cingular SIM (which would be a "C4" SIM in TracFoneLand) that is
            allowed to roam onto T-Mobile, and there is one usable Cingular and
            one usable T-Mobile signal available, the phone will _always_ choose
            Cingular.

            "Usable" is the key word here. If there is a "usable" Cingular
            signal but a much stronger T-Mobil signal, the the phone will still
            chose the Cingular signal because if it is preferred.
            Unfortunately "usable" can mean on the very fringes of usability,
            i.e. poor reception, dropped calls, etc.

            Now back in '03 or '04, Cingular bought AT&T. They now had two
            networks -- which they designated "Orange" for Cingular, and "Blue"
            for AT&T -- and they wanted their customers to be able to use both
            networks equally. Unfortunately, since they _were_ separate
            networks, the SIM's PRL (and hence the phone itself) couldn't do
            this. The network we not equal.

            Using the example above, substitute "recently purchased AT&T" for "T-
            Mobile." Since Cingular was now one company and they wanted both
            networks to have the _same_ preference, they of course invented a
            whole new set of technologies to simplify, er, complicate, things.
            (I _think_ they invented it. They may have just adopted it.)
            Complicated for them, but supposedly simpler for the customer.

            So along came ENS, or Enhanced Network Selection. It requires both
            an ENS capable handset, and an ENS capable SIM, and of course the
            networks has to support it as well. All handsets currently sold by
            Cingular are ENS capable. Only 64K and above SIMs are ENS capable,
            and they too are now the standard Cingular SIM. (Real Cingular, not
            necessarily TracFone. I don't know if the newer TracFones are ENS
            capable.)

            Basically what ENS does is add the capability to have two or more
            networks have the _same_ priority or "preferdness" in the SIM's PRL.
            Now, if a customer's handset is receiving both a Cingular signal and
            an AT&T signal (remember, they are still actually different
            networks), the phone is free to choose whichever one is the strongest.

            What does this mean for TracFone? My crystal ball is rather cloudy
            here. One thing I'm pretty sure about is that the older SIMs are
            being phased out, and it's simply a supply issue.

            Also, they may or may not be planing to jump on the ENS bandwagon at
            some point in the future, and are trying to saturate their phones
            with 64K SIMs _now_, so they will have to replace less of them later.

            TECHIE FOOTNOTE:

            For those who are familiar with AMPS/CDMA technology, a SIM PRL its
            the same concept as an AMPS/CDMA PRL, but it is (as always, just to
            complicate things) a little bit different. AMPS/CDMA PRLs are highly
            granular. They can tell the difference between San Francisco and
            Anaheim for example. GSM PRLs are much more general. For PRL
            purposes there are less than 100 total networks worldwide, and the
            granularity only goes down to the network level. AMPS/CDMA PRLs can
            tell the difference between one tower and another, although that is
            never used; the CDMA PRLs are out of storage room as it is.

            The reason for the difference is historical. AMPS/CDMA has the
            concept of roaming beginning a outside a local region, so it needs
            that granularity. In the early days of cell phones, roaming when
            away from home was the standard business model, even if you were
            still on the same network.

            Today the standard business model is that the entire nation is your
            playground, and there are no roaming fees anymore. GSM reflects this
            trend. Remember when the GSM networks were first coming online in
            the US? They _all_ advertised "no-roaming fees" (even if their
            coverage _was_ lousy at the time.) Today CDMA PRLs are used
            primarily to enforce inter-carrier roaming agreements. Like I said
            before, the original AMPS network was divided into hundreds of
            regional networks, and tens of thousands of individually addressable
            towers, and the AMPS/CDMA PRLs have to deal with all of them in one
            fashion or another.

            We usually don't hear about GSM phones having PRLs because they are
            normally such a non-issue. With AMPS/CDMA it seems like every time
            somebody puts up a new tower a new PRL needs to be downloaded into
            the phone. (Not quite that bad, but it sure seem like it at times...)
            Since GSM PRLs are associated with sometimes nation wide networks,
            and not geographical areas, installing a new cell tower becomes a non-
            issue as far as the PRL is concerned.

            This was especially true when none of the GSM carriers played nice.
            When they wouldn't let their customers roam at _all_, there was
            barely a need for a PRL. Today it's becoming an issue because of the
            need to have better control over cross-network roaming, and because
            of mergers and more cooperation between networks.

            As the amount of memory in SIMs has grown, so has the number of PRL
            entries. The original 8K SIMs only had 8 entries, bit 64K SIMS have
            85.

            Another advantage to 64K SIMs is that they work with GAIT compliant
            phones. GAIT -- an acronym for the GSM ANSI-(something or the other)
            I(something or the other) Team -- allowed GSM phones to work on the
            old Analog/AMPS networks, TDMA networks, and I think even with CDMA
            (which evolved out of AMPS.) This was true only if the SIM, phone
            and carrier all supported the capability.

            I use the past tense here because GAIT never really got off the
            ground. A few carriers started using it, like Fido in Canada before
            Rogers acquired them. Fido was using it because they had a small GSM
            network and a large AMPS network, and some of their GSM customers
            were willing to pay extra to have access to the larger geographical
            coverage of the AMPS network. When Rogers bought Fido, Rogers' GSM
            network already overlaid Fido's AMPS network, so the point became
            moot.

            BFHd

            <ttamura@...> wrote:

            > I sort of asked this same question a few months ago and while I
            knew that
            > the "64" meant more memory (as in 64K,) I did not notice any
            difference in
            > the performance or any other changes in service and no one posted
            saying
            > that they experienced any change. Some even said that the phones
            they were
            > buying (both refurbished and new) still had the old TFSIMC4 cards.
            The last
            > set of twofers I bought (C139's) had the new 64K cards, but I see a
            few
            > sellers on eBay selling the older cards and I even bought a few,
            but have
            > not had chance to try to activate it. May get told by Tracfone
            that I need
            > a new 64K card? I find it interesting that you have noticed a
            change, but
            > it not be the SIM card, but the better phone model (stronger
            signal?) and/or
            > improvements in the network?

          • Earl the Pearl
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
              Right click on the map and click properties. You will see this as the
              URL.

              http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/1100P_MAP.gif
              <http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/1100P_MAP.gif>
              Is at&t

              http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/t-mobile_map_lg.gif
              <http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/t-mobile_map_lg.gif>
              Is T-Mobile

              http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/TRAC_DOBS_N_GSM_map_d.gif
              <http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/TRAC_DOBS_N_GSM_map_d.gif>
              Is Dobson.

              If it is a CDMA area you will see
              http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/sid00404.gif
              <http://www.tracfone.com/images/covmaps/sid00404.gif>
              You will have to look up the SID. This SID is for
              00404 NEW YORK 05 OSTEGO B VZW - VERIZON WIRELESS

              --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com> , "sarahjanesmithdoctorwho"
              <sarahjanesmithdoctorwho@...> wrote:

              > How can you tell on the coverage map if you are AT&T or T-Mobile?

            • April
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                I was bouncing around the tracfone site tonight and I
                found a blog? I was looking under "general info" then
                "customer's reviews." I was curious to see what
                Tracfone put as customer reviews. That link leads to
                an "about us" page and then at the bottom of that page
                is a link to the blog.

                I guess that doesn't surprise me, except nowhere on
                the main page does it mention a blog.

                I found an interesting entry on:
                http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

                It's the last one on the page about text message
                alerts with links to the weather channel, NY Times and
                other sites. You can read just the text message blog
                here:
                http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/text-message-alerts.html

                Has anyone else seen this blog? Has anyone tried the
                text messaging alerts?

                The link for news takes you to the NY Times where
                you're told you can get text messages with links to
                mobile webpages for the NY Times. Anyone tried this?

                I'm rather curious as to if this actually works since
                Tracfone sells from it's own website subscriptions to
                news, weather, sports and other stuff.

                April

                Need a vacation? Get great deals
                to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                http://travel.yahoo.com/
              • sj_cats
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                  The Weather Channel forcast and current conditions work great, thanks
                  for pointing them out. I haven't figured out yet if those news links
                  need a web browser or if they work via SMS.

                  With the free incimng SMS on the V170 I've recently become more
                  interested in learning what can be done with SMS and I've found a
                  couple of interesting sites.

                  One is traffic.com, you can get traffic alerts emailed to your phone
                  (number(at)txt.att.net) for free. And a site I've been using for a
                  little while is Weather Underground for local weather forcasts and
                  alerts (wunderground.com) it's $10 a year for membership incuding the
                  email service.

                  Does anyone else know of good SMS services?

                  --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, April <april_mira@...> wrote:

                  > It's the last one on the page about text message
                  > alerts with links to the weather channel, NY Times and
                  > other sites. You can read just the text message blog
                  > here:
                  > http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/text-message-alerts.html
                  >
                  > Has anyone else seen this blog? Has anyone tried the
                  > text messaging alerts?
                • Big Fat Hairy Dude
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                    I've created an account on the Cingular website. It treated me as
                    though I was a Cingular customer, so I was able to do tons of SMS
                    stuff from there.

                    Bfhd

                    --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "sj_cats" <sj_cats@...> wrote:

                    > The Weather Channel forcast and current conditions work great,
                    thanks
                    > for pointing them out. I haven't figured out yet if those news
                    links
                    > need a web browser or if they work via SMS.
                    >
                    > With the free incimng SMS on the V170 I've recently become more
                    > interested in learning what can be done with SMS and I've found a
                    > couple of interesting sites.
                    >
                    > One is traffic.com, you can get traffic alerts emailed to your
                    phone
                    > (number(at)txt.att.net) for free. And a site I've been using for a
                    > little while is Weather Underground for local weather forcasts and
                    > alerts (wunderground.com) it's $10 a year for membership incuding
                    the
                    > email service.
                    >
                    > Does anyone else know of good SMS services?
                    >
                    > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, April <april_mira@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It's the last one on the page about text message
                    > > alerts with links to the weather channel, NY Times and
                    > > other sites. You can read just the text message blog
                    > > here:
                    > > http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/text-message-alerts.html
                    > >
                    > > Has anyone else seen this blog? Has anyone tried the
                    > > text messaging alerts?

                  • Jane Doe
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                      Can you explain how you did that in graphic detail please? I've tried many times to set up accounts for my Cingular/AT&T MVNO phones there and failed every time. I've only been consistently successful with true GoPhones and sporadically successful with SpeakOut Wireless, XEMobile, and BeyondWIreless. I've never gotten a Tracfone or Net10 on Cingular to work there. Thanks!

                      Big Fat Hairy Dude <bfh_dude@...> wrote: I've created an account on the Cingular website. It treated me as

                      --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "sj_cats" wrote:

                      > The Weather Channel forcast and current conditions work great,
                      thanks
                      > for pointing them out. I haven't figured out yet if those news
                      links
                      > need a web browser or if they work via SMS.
                      >
                      > With the free incimng SMS on the V170 I've recently become more
                      > interested in learning what can be done with SMS and I've found a
                      > couple of interesting sites.
                      >
                      > One is traffic.com, you can get traffic alerts emailed to your
                      phone
                      > (number(at)txt.att.net) for free. And a site I've been using for a
                      > little while is Weather Underground for local weather forcasts and
                      > alerts (wunderground.com) it's $10 a year for membership incuding
                      the
                      > email service.
                      >
                      > Does anyone else know of good SMS services?
                      >
                      > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, April wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It's the last one on the page about text message
                      > > alerts with links to the weather channel, NY Times and
                      > > other sites. You can read just the text message blog
                      > > here:
                      > > http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/text-message-alerts.html
                      > >
                      > > Has anyone else seen this blog? Has anyone tried the
                      > > text messaging alerts?

                      TracFone_Users Mailing List
                      To Access the FAQ: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tracfone_Users/files/

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Big Fat Hairy Dude
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                        It's been a while.

                        I think I just walked up to the front door like I belonged there,
                        entered my phone number, email and password, and bidda-bang- bidda-
                        boom, there I was.

                        I'll check again. It does help if a C4 SIM is being used...

                        BFhD

                        --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Jane Doe <aij12999@...> wrote:

                        > Can you explain how you did that in graphic detail please? I've
                        tried many times to set up accounts for my Cingular/AT&T MVNO phones
                        there and failed every time. I've only been consistently successful
                        with true GoPhones and sporadically successful with SpeakOut
                        Wireless, XEMobile, and BeyondWIreless. I've never gotten a Tracfone
                        or Net10 on Cingular to work there. Thanks!

                        > Big Fat Hairy Dude <bfh_dude@...> wrote: I've created an account on
                        the Cingular website. It treated me as
                        > though I was a Cingular customer, so I was able to do tons of SMS
                        > stuff from there.
                        >
                        > Bfhd
                        >

                        > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "sj_cats" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The Weather Channel forcast and current conditions work great,
                        > thanks
                        > > for pointing them out. I haven't figured out yet if those news
                        > links
                        > > need a web browser or if they work via SMS.
                        > >
                        > > With the free incimng SMS on the V170 I've recently become more
                        > > interested in learning what can be done with SMS and I've found a
                        > > couple of interesting sites.
                        > >
                        > > One is traffic.com, you can get traffic alerts emailed to your
                        > phone
                        > > (number(at)txt.att.net) for free. And a site I've been using for
                        > > little while is Weather Underground for local weather forcasts
                        and
                        > > alerts (wunderground.com) it's $10 a year for membership incuding
                        > the
                        > > email service.
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone else know of good SMS services?
                        > >
                        > > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, April wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > It's the last one on the page about text message
                        > > > alerts with links to the weather channel, NY Times and
                        > > > other sites. You can read just the text message blog
                        > > > here:
                        > > > http://tracfoneblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/text-message-
                        alerts.html

                        > > > Has anyone else seen this blog? Has anyone tried the
                        > > > text messaging alerts?
                        > >

                        > TracFone_Users Mailing List
                        > To Access the FAQ:
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • waerlinga
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                          I used Google SMS a lot back with my 2285, but it won't work with my
                          2600 and I suspect it's T-mobile's system that is the problem. Here's
                          the link to their help page, complete with a demo 'phone' to try it out:
                          http://www.google.com/sms

                          I used Google for everything from out-of-town restaurants to looking
                          for a movie once while 200 miles away from home for a wedding.
                          Basically you send a search to 46645 (Googl) for the info you need.
                          For example, you could do "movies 54703" and receive the current movies
                          at theaters in that zipcode. If your search returns a lot of info, it
                          breaks it up into multiple messages. Free incoming is handy for this,
                          but it was worth it for me once in a while on my 2285 to spring for the
                          messages.

                          I am currently able to use Yahoo, which is OK, but Google was much,
                          much better in my opinion.

                          Larry

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                            And this, boys and girls, is one of the reasons that it is almost
                            always way way better to have a C4 (Cingular) SIM on your GSM
                            TracFone, no matter your actual location. T-Mobile does block an
                            incredible number of Nice Things.

                            I've taken Cingular TracFones into T-Mobile only areas, and they
                            worked fine. I've activated everything I can with phone numbers
                            everywhere I can; even on phones in places that particular phone
                            would not actually work.

                            But I've never _activated_ a TracFone with a C4 SIM in a T-Mobile
                            only area. Has anyone tried that? Success?

                            Same for Dobson. I can't test using C4 or T5 SIMs in a Dobson only
                            area, since I am not all that close to a one.

                            Has anyone tried activating a C4 SIM in Dobson only territory?

                            I'd really like to know if and how well that works. Would anybody in
                            either of those places care to try, and report back? If you have any
                            extra GSM 2'fer phones, it would be for a good cause...

                            The necessary C4 SIM card is easy to obtain.

                            bFhd

                            --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "waerlinga" <larryhkomro@...>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                              Oh well.

                              That door has been slammed shut. My "account type" is apparently no
                              longer welcome, and my old account has been deleted.

                              Sorry Jane. I apologize for getting your hopes up so excitedly, and
                              then dashing them so cruelly.

                              bFhd

                              --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Big Fat Hairy Dude"
                              <bfh_dude@...> wrote:

                              > It's been a while.
                              >
                              > I think I just walked up to the front door like I belonged there,
                              > entered my phone number, email and password, and bidda-bang- bidda-
                              > boom, there I was.
                              >
                              > I'll check again. It does help if a C4 SIM is being used...
                              >
                              > BFhD
                              >

                              > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, Jane Doe <aij12999@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Can you explain how you did that in graphic detail please? I've
                              > tried many times to set up accounts for my Cingular/AT&T MVNO
                              phones
                              > there and failed every time. I've only been consistently
                              successful
                              > with true GoPhones and sporadically successful with SpeakOut
                              > Wireless, XEMobile, and BeyondWIreless. I've never gotten a
                              Tracfone
                              > or Net10 on Cingular to work there. Thanks!
                              > >
                              > > Big Fat Hairy Dude <bfh_dude@> wrote: I've created an account on
                              > the Cingular website. It treated me as
                              > > though I was a Cingular customer, so I was able to do tons of SMS
                              > > stuff from there.
                              > >
                              > > Bfhd
                              > >

                              > > --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "sj_cats" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > The Weather Channel forcast and current conditions work great,
                              > > thanks
                              > > > for pointing them out. I haven't figured out yet if those news
                              > > links
                              > > > need a web browser or if they work via SMS.
                              > > >
                              > > > With the free incimng SMS on the V170 I've recently become more
                              > > > interested in learning what can be done with SMS and I've found
                              > > > couple of interesting sites.
                              > > >
                              > > > One is traffic.com, you can get traffic alerts emailed to your
                              > > phone
                              > > > (number(at)txt.att.net) for free. And a site I've been using
                              for
                              > > > little while is Weather Underground for local weather forcasts
                              > and
                              > > > alerts (wunderground.com) it's $10 a year for membership
                              incuding
                              > > the
                              > > > email service.
                              > > >
                              > > > Does anyone else know of good SMS services?

                              > alerts.html

                              > > TracFone_Users Mailing List
                              > > To Access the FAQ:
                              > >
                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links