*22891 to update software on phone for roaming???

  • rcp4
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2005
      Received a message on my answering machine to dial *22891, then push
      send, then follow instructions to update phone software and update
      roaming capability. No one ever identified themselves as calling from
      Tracfone. Is this a legitimate instruction from Tracfone? Don't want
      to get scammed and lose any minutes. Thought maybe the group here
      would know if this is legit. I thought it was weird that Tracfone was
      never mentioned in the message. Thanks.
    • box191@lakeozark.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2005
        At 07:42 PM 5/23/05, rcp4 wrote:

        >Received a message on my answering machine to dial *22891, then push
        >send, then follow instructions to update phone software and update
        >roaming capability. No one ever identified themselves as calling from
        >Tracfone. Is this a legitimate instruction from Tracfone? Don't want
        >to get scammed and lose any minutes. Thought maybe the group here
        >would know if this is legit. I thought it was weird that Tracfone was
        >never mentioned in the message.

        It was probably Tracfone. *22891 won't hurt
        and it could conceivably help. CDMA carriers
        recommend that this be done monthly although
        roaming lists are usually updated quarterly.

        Verizon's last update was about a month ago,
        I think April 27th. I haven't seen a date for
        Alltel.

        If given a choice, just update the roaming list
        and don't reactivate/reprogram/update the phone.

        TDMA and GSM phones automatically update roaming
        and carrier phone programming.

        Paul (box191)
        --
      • edwardp1965
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2005
          --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, box191@l... wrote:

          > At 07:42 PM 5/23/05, rcp4 wrote:
          >
          > >Received a message on my answering machine to dial *22891, then push
          > >send, then follow instructions to update phone software and update
          > >roaming capability. No one ever identified themselves as calling from
          > >Tracfone. Is this a legitimate instruction from Tracfone? Don't want
          > >to get scammed and lose any minutes. Thought maybe the group here
          > >would know if this is legit. I thought it was weird that Tracfone was
          > >never mentioned in the message.
          >
          > It was probably Tracfone. *22891 won't hurt
          > and it could conceivably help. CDMA carriers
          > recommend that this be done monthly although
          > roaming lists are usually updated quarterly.
          >
          > Verizon's last update was about a month ago,
          > I think April 27th. I haven't seen a date for
          > Alltel.
          >
          > If given a choice, just update the roaming list
          > and don't reactivate/reprogram/update the phone.
          >
          > TDMA and GSM phones automatically update roaming
          > and carrier phone programming.
          >
          > Paul (box191)
          > --

          Verizon released new PRL's on May 9.

          I discovered *22891 works on a Verizon phone that was purchased and
          activated directly from Verizon, both it and *228 work.

          On the TracFone I bought (Nokia 2285) although activated on Verizon),
          *228 (press option 2) is the ONLY way to update the PRL. *22891 does
          NOT work with this phone.
        • rcp4
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 2005
            I did the procedure and the first time it did nothing but told me to
            try again later. The second time it instructed me to hold while
            updating the roaming list. As far as I can tell that is all it did.
            My phone is an old Moto v120 with Verizon being the carrier for my
            home area. Thanks for all the response.

            > > If given a choice, just update the roaming list
            > > and don't reactivate/reprogram/update the phone.
            > >
            > > TDMA and GSM phones automatically update roaming
            > > and carrier phone programming.
            > >
            > > Paul (box191)
            > > --
            >
            > Verizon released new PRL's on May 9.
            >
            > I discovered *22891 works on a Verizon phone that was purchased and
            > activated directly from Verizon, both it and *228 work.
            >
            > On the TracFone I bought (Nokia 2285) although activated on
            Verizon),
            > *228 (press option 2) is the ONLY way to update the PRL. *22891
            does
            > NOT work with this phone.
          • edwardp1965
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25, 2005
              If you eventually hear a recording that your phone was "programmed
              successfully", then it received the current roaming list.

              Otherwise, it did not, and you ought to try *228 and selection option 2.

              --- In Tracfone_Users@yahoogroups.com, "rcp4" <rcp4@y...> wrote:
              > I did the procedure and the first time it did nothing but told me to
              > try again later. The second time it instructed me to hold while
              > updating the roaming list. As far as I can tell that is all it did.
              > My phone is an old Moto v120 with Verizon being the carrier for my
              > home area. Thanks for all the response.
              >
              > > > If given a choice, just update the roaming list
              > > > and don't reactivate/reprogram/update the phone.
              > > >
              > > > TDMA and GSM phones automatically update roaming
              > > > and carrier phone programming.
              > > >
              > > > Paul (box191)
              > > > --
              > >
              > > Verizon released new PRL's on May 9.
              > >
              > > I discovered *22891 works on a Verizon phone that was purchased and
              > > activated directly from Verizon, both it and *228 work.
              > >
              > > On the TracFone I bought (Nokia 2285) although activated on
              > Verizon),
              > > *228 (press option 2) is the ONLY way to update the PRL. *22891
              > does
              > > NOT work with this phone.
            • David Mitchell
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
                I did it, & haven't noticed anything different, but I also haven't
                gone out of about 35 miles from home. We'll see what happens when I do
                a road trip.