Re: [Towboating] Question?

  • mary schmidt
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 1, 2009
      I work partime as a cook. Then I have a fulltime job. Dave bolino got me into the river life. I enjpy it tremendously. To me its a vacation, home away from home.
      Riverqueen

      From: "Lonnie"
      Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:34:51 -0600
      To: <Towboating@yahoogro ups.com>
      In the 70's. Capt. Grady Osborne and Jim Rivers. Had a great engineer too named Rocky and his passed away since. Used to make my Mom leaving rugs out of old leaving lines he collected. Real neat rugs and I didn't take the time to learn how to weave them, when he wanted to teach me. I did learn how to make bumpers though. Who was your father-in-law? Scott Chotin Jr. had a company named Canal-River Towing then changed the name to Chotin Inc. and they sold to Kirby. I haven't worked for Kirby and they have most all my old boats, except the Sugarland. Lonnie

      Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:06:15 -0600
      To: <Towboating@yahoogro ups.com>
      Thanks Rusty, for a new one on me. I never even been on one of those. The extra deck on the Daytona was a private stateroom/suite for the Masters wife or  company guest. I've been trying to get an interior layout of a gooseneck, know where I could view one or pictures even. My curiosity of towboats has sprung a leak since I've been off a long time. LB
      From: Lonnie <scooter123@cox. net>
      To: Towboating@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 12:49 PM

      I thought it was a 3 or 4 decker :| Is goose neck another term for elevated? We called em something else, so I leave the old slang term alone. I worked on the Sugarland, which was a hydraulic elevated wheel house. Some called em upper boats. I took this picture of the Sugarland when it was owned by Scott Chotin Sr. and Jr.. Now its owned by Florida Marine whom I hope to go to work for when my back gets fixed. LB

      0

      From: Lonnie <scooter123@cox. net>
      To: Towboating@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 12:15 PM

      I've heard of the J.B. Kleinpeter Mary, matter of fact I saw an Ingram boat this morning going south with 35 loads. Took a picture of it too, but I don't have a good enough zoom to pick out the name on the boat. I'm almost positive it was an Ingram boat by the colors of the logo. Sorry I don't know the name. I worked for Ingram Fuel services a little while in N.O and fueled the fleet when they came through. The J.B. was one of them, so maybe I met him, just don't know it. The towboat life is a lonely trade from the rest of the world. That's why we have a friendly towboat forum, to include others in it and even those who are interested, or used to work that trade.

      Louise, don't mind that Capt., he's probably been out 30 days and has channel fever. He may have ate too many beenie weenie's too or had a deckhand make his bunk up wrong. ;)

      If this photo I took this morning comes through, let me know please. It was a glorious morning and me and the dog went for a stroll on the river banks. This is in Baton Rouge just below Free Mac Point at the old bridge. Ya'll keep in the channel and be blessed, Lonnie

      0

      From: Johnhar271 <johnhar271@aol. com>
      To: Towboating@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 4:10 AM

      I had words with scooter before...he sure is bitter about those beanie weenies and make'n bunks. Not to mention not making it to the wheelhouse. Somebody's got to be the indian. When I was on deck if a captain told me to make his bed...I'd tell 'em to kiss my ass. As far a sympathy for having to work in weather...well I don't have any...I paid my dues on the deck and earned my right to the wheelhouse. Weather on deck is just part of working on deck. If he's looking for a book an ad was posted on this group not long ago "tugging on a heart string" about a 16 year old girl working on a boat. I though it might be an interesting read...but nooo...its about a family run boat, so I doubt theirs much interesting about it.

      In a message dated 01/30/09 03:46:27 Central Standard Time, scooter123@cox. net writes:
      Then there are some of us old tankerman that can't turn a valve anymore and can't pass the new physical. Back in the 70's and 80's than pilots and captains was so hung up on theirselves they wouldn't dare let a tankerman have the sticks for a few hrs. for fear of losing their jobs. Those are the one's who usually turn into grumpy old captains that can't talk about nothin but towboats. If some of the more advanced towboat co.'s would put electric valves and winches on their units, this 54 year old might could come back to work making decent money before he's totally out of the picture. I started out making $28.00 a day. I left making $175 with the Seafarer's Union and most Captains didn't like union men, accept some of the wheelhouse folks knew we didn't make enough. I got hurt and couldn't come back.

      Since 9-11, the companies finally figure tankerman are worth a little something. I loved the life and the majority of the crew, but I sure don't miss Capt.. that had to have their bunks made-up a certain way and stashed all the beanie weenie's so the tankerman wouldn't have nothing to eat while left on the barge in freezing cold rainy weather. I often wonder if those type wheelmen still exist. There was only about 5 captains I could have worked for, the rest of my life and enjoyed it. To name a few, Captain Melvin Serrette, Captain James Rivers, and Captain Dennis Pasentine. Those three were the best the industry and deck crew could ask for.

      I'm getting my back fixed right now and if I pass the physical and find a little company with a 4 barge unit with loose valves, I'm coming back to work for a respectable $250 a day for a man that loves the life of the waterways. I might even write that book or script to show off the towboat industry too. When's the last time any of you saw a movie or read a new book about the life of the new rivermen of an long un-sung way of life? Keep it in the channel fellows, Lonnie

      From: Johnhar271 <johnhar271@aol. com>
      To: Towboating@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 10:48 PM

      since I joined this group I noticed half of everything said has nothing to do with towboating

      In a message dated 01/29/09 23:13:46 Central Standard Time, louise_reaves2002@ yahoo.com writes:
      Hi!

      I was looking for some information about a place in Greenville, MS.
      It was once called The Coconut Grove. My husbands' parents used
      to go there alot when they were young adults. Somebody told me
      that the building was still standing and that its located on Hwy.82
      West just west of Clay Street. I know this doesn't have anything to
      do with towboating, but just thought somebody might know how I could
      get a picture of it. Kind of for family history so to speak.
      My husband was born in Greenville, MS.,but that was before his
      time. I would appreciate any help on this one. Thank you
      towboaters.

    • greg savell
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 9, 2009
        SAME HERE I WORK FOR A 2 BOAT COM SO I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN HOPE YOU GET ON SOON IT IS REAL SLOW RIGHT NOW