TOURISM AND LEISURE AT THE INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL UNION (IGU), GLASGOW, SCOTLAND 2004

  • Michael Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      TOURISM AND LEISURE AT THE INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL
      WITH APOLOGIES FOR ANY CROSS-POSTINGS
      RE:  TOURISM AND LEISURE AT THE INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL UNION (IGU), GLASGOW, SCOTLAND 2004.
      Many thanks to all of you who submitted abstracts for potential paper contributions to the sessions being organised by the IGU Study Group on Tourism, Leisure and Global Change and the Geography of Leisure and Tourism Research Group to take place at the main congress in Glasgow (15-20 August) and the pre-congress meeting at Drymen, Loch Lomond (13-15 August). Both events have been met with unprecedented demand for paper offerings and attendance. During the pre-congress meeting three sessions will be operating simultaneously in order to accommodate the papers that were able to be included. Unfortunately, the demand for offering presentations was such that neither more space or time could be secured at the meeting venue. However, some papers that could not be accommodated at the pre-congress meeting were able to be included in the main congress, or if we were not able to include a paper at the pre-congress we have attempted to ensure that a paper could be presented in the main congress. Currently, we expect there to be around 50 papers presented at the pre-congress meeting, while well over 100 abstracts have been offered for presentation at the main congress. Therefore, we are probably looking at the biggest ever tourism and leisure geographies gathering!

      Clearly, we are extremely pleased at the very high level of interest in these events, and we have been able to compile full programmes for both events. Please note that even if you are not presenting a paper you are welcome to attend both events. Themes to be explored at the Loch Lomond meeting include:

      … Tourism, Migration and Mobility
      … Tourism and Network Societies
      … Tourism, Neoliberalism and Public Policy
      … Tourism and the Non-place Realm
      … Tourism, Geopolitics, and Post-colonialism
      … Tourism, Leisure, Culture and Identity
      … Tourism, Leisure and Citizenship
      … Experiences, Emotions and Performances of Tourism

      At the main congress themes include

      … The Future of Tourism and Leisure in Geography
      … Tourism, Globalisation and Localisation.
      … Tourism, Leisure and Economic Restructuring
      … Tourism, Leisure and Social Change
      … Gender Issues in Tourism and Leisure
      … Tourism, Leisure and Sustainability.
      … Tourism, Leisure and the Physical Landscape
      … Tourism, Leisure and Environmental Management
      … Tourism, Leisure and Environmental Action
      … Tourism, Leisure and Less Developed Countries
      … Tourism, Leisure and Gender

      Due to the level of interest, it has taken a little longer than normal to communicate with authors and potential attendees.  We believe we have now contacted everyone who offered a paper.
      If you have not heard from us about your paper(s), would you please be so kind as to send us an email and we will reply as soon as possible with your status.

      For those of you who have heard from us, could we please take this opportunity, once more, to impress upon you the importance of registering and booking your accommodation for pre-congress meeting?  If you have lost your registration or booking form please contact:

      Eleanor Stevens,
      Local Organiser, IGU Tourism and Leisure Pre-Congress Meeting.
      c/o Department of Geography, University of Exeter.  Amory Building, Rennes Drive, Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom.  EX4 4RJ

      For any enquiries, you can reach Eleanor directly by telephone (+44-1392-264489), fax (+44-1392-263342) and email (e.j.stevens@...).

      Similarly, if you are participating at the main congress in Glasgow, please do not forget to register your abstracts with the main congress organisers, Meetingmakers: www.meetingmakers.co.uk/IGC-UK2004

      We look forward to meeting you in Scotland.

      Yours sincerely,

      Tim and Michael

      Dr Tim Coles
      Honorary Secretary, Geography of Leisure and Tourism Research Group, (RGS-IBG)
      Department of Geography, University of Exeter.  Amory Building, Rennes Drive, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4RJ.  United Kingdom

      Tel: 44 1392 264441  fax: 44 1392 263320
      e: t.e.coles@...

      Prof. C. Michael Hall
      Chairperson, IGU Commission on Tourism, Leisure and Global Change.
      Department of Tourism, School of Business, University of Otago.  PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand.

      Tel: 64 3 479 8520  fax: 64 3 479 9034
      e: cmhall@...
      --
      C. Michael Hall, Professor and Head, Department of Tourism, School of Business, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand (street address: Clyde St)
      Tel: +64 3 479 8520, Fax: +64 3 479 9034

      Co-Editor, Current Issues in Tourism:
      http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/tourism/c >urrent-issues/index.html
      Honorary Professor, Department of Marketing, Stirling University, Scotland http://www.marketing.stir.ac.uk/tourism/
      Associate Editor for Asia and the Pacific, Tourism Geographies: An International Journal of Tourism Place, Space and Environment:  http://www.geog.nau.edu/tg/