Fwd: Job Opportunities at the German University of Technology in Oman

  • Alan A. Lew
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2011
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Anne K. Soper <anne.soper@...>
    Date: Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Subject: Job Opportunities at the German University of Technology in Oman
    To: "Anne K. Soper" <anne.soper@...>

    Dear friends and colleagues,

    The Sustainable Tourism and Regional Development program at the German University of Technology in Oman is in urgent need of someone to teach two courses before our semester ends on 22 June 2011.  These courses are 1) Conceptualizing Regional Development and 2) Funding, Finance and Controlling.  The specifications for both courses are attached.  Ph.D. holders as well as Ph.D. students are encouraged to contact me if they are interested and have availability in their schedules.

    Courses will be taught in a block of a couple weeks.  This is very compressed, but our students are familiar with this teaching/learning format.  The class is very small and consists of 5 Omani students (2 female, 3 male) and one Indian female.  They are all easy to work with, respectful, and eager to learn.

    GUtech generally provides a modest paycheck, round trip economy class airfare, and an ensuite room in our guesthouse (with maid service) for the duration of your stay.  These, of course, will be negotiated with GUtech should an offer be made.  All I can tell you is what usually is part of the package.  For you this is a great opportunity to come to (or come back to) Oman and teach in a unique international setting.  Where else can you say you teach Omani students, in English, at a German university?  Oman is an amazingly safe developing country where there are ample opportunities for you to take up a research agenda or just explore the country's culture, heritage, beaches, mountains and deserts.   Oman has a very active expat community that offers any number of things to do ranging from the new opera house, hiking, camping, biking, swimming, running  and other physical training, to lots of coffee houses and restaurants.  Dubai is an easy 4 hr drive or inexpensive 40 minute flight and is a must-see.

    I'd also like to take this opportunity to give you an early heads up on the *possibility*  of visiting professorships at the German University of Technology for Fall 2011. THIS IS NOT guaranteed at this point in time, but I'm expecting we'll have need for instructors to help cover the following courses for 4th year students (seniors) in GUtech's Sustainable Tourism and Regional Development program:

    *  Technology, Innovation and Regional Development

    *  Promoting the Knowledge Economy

    *  Attracting Foreign Direct Investments

    *  Networking and Collaboration Support

    *  Industrial Cluster Studies

     * Contemporary Issues in Tourism

     Again, please let me know if you think you might be interested in these or other opportunities at GUtech.

     All the best,

     Anne

    Anne K. Soper, Ph.D.

    Sustainable Tourism and Regional Development

    German University of Technology in Oman (GUtech)

    Tel +968 2449 3051 ext 304 | Fax +968 2449 5568

    PO Box 1816, Athaibah, PC 130, Sultanate of Oman

    www.gutech.edu.om

    The weekend in the Sultanate of Oman is Thursday and Friday