RE: [TOTAL 2000 Group] Shared Comps locally

  • Tim Ferguson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
      I like to put my two cents in on sharing comps.

      I live in a rural community, there are two other appraisers who cover the six counties that I cover and we have worked out a system, that has worked very well over the last
      five years. We all use Wintotal and we all have file maker pro. This is how we share are comps database. we have divided the counties up, were each month, we each take our two counties and pull all the data from the courthouse, and enter it in the filemaker pro database. Our database was design, but Todd, who is on this forum. We have a ftp site, where we upload the new data so, the other appraisers can get it. . I myself, can import the data into Totals, with another program, that was design, again, by Todd. This has worked out well and we know that the information is correct, according to public records or if one of us inspected the property.

      As far as sharing the database with other appraisers who do cover our area, but don't live in the area. We will not! I look at it this way, why should I give someone information, that is taking work away from me. When we are the ones who spend all the time getting the information. Now if someone does call and I don't know him or her, I will give them the deed book and page number and then they can go to the courthouse and look it up. If I know the appraiser and then, most likely I will help.

      Tim Ferguson
      Commonwealth Appraisal Corp.
      tferguson@...
      tferguson@...