RE: [WinTOTAL Group] Disappearing Sketches - Fieldpad - New glitch

  • Sarah Vetault
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hmm. Friday I had another sketch disappear in a rather dramatic
      fashion. Sketch was visible on the Jornada. Synced the Jornada with
      the desktop. Opened file on desktop, opened workfile, opened fieldpad
      sketch... and got an error message that there was insufficient memory or
      disk space to open or print the drawing. YIKES!!

      I'm running Win98SE (I know, I know, need to upgrade...) so I'm used to
      resources problems. I shut everything down, rebooted, opened Athena
      and... Same error message. So I saved the .rtf file to a separate
      location on my hard drive, scanned it for viruses, tried opening it
      without Athena open. Same error message. The file is only 64K, I have
      22 gigs left on my hard drive, and at that point 60% of my computer
      resources were available. Memory and disk space were not issues,
      despite the error message.

      So I deleted the file off my desktop, rebooted, opened the file on the
      Jornada, made a minor change and saved the file. Then I synced it back
      over to the desktop. I could see the fieldpad sketch on the Jornada.
      The drawing wouldn't display in Word. Uh oh.

      I opened Apex and began the final sketch in Athena before the worst case
      happened. The house had some weird angles and I was trying to figure
      them out. Had to leave for another inspection before I was done, so I
      saved the Apex sketch and closed Apex with the sketch open (thanks,
      Randall - that's a great feature!) and went on my inspection. With my
      Jornada. When I got back - the Jornada FieldPad sketch was missing too.
      AAARRRRGGHHH!!!!!

      This time I got "lucky" and the assessor had an extremely accurate
      drawing, so I was able to reconstruct everything except my notes on the
      features and the exact location of the utility room. Whew. Events like
      this do make me nervous about relying on FieldPad, even though it seems
      like a great piece of software.

      Let me know what Tech Support tells you. They didn't have many words of
      wisdom for me this time.

      Sarah Vetault
      Tucson, AZ

      www.ComplineGroup.com

      ---
      When making your choices in life,
      do not forget to live.

      Samuel Johnson

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hi Sarah & Samuel

        Since I don't have a "solution" to your problems of losing FieldPad
        files I've be hesitant to respond to this thread. However, for
        non-Pocket TOTAL folks, I also didn't want to leave the impression that
        this is happening to everyone.

        I'm running Pocket TOTAL on an HP 568 and synching to a P4 computer
        running XP "Home" and Microsoft Office XP. I do my FieldPad sketches in
        the "zoomed" out mode (grid lines the smallest possible) and my freehand
        notes in the default mode.

        I have not lost a FieldPad file over the past 2-3 months of use and have
        not encountered any error messages related to FieldPad files (.rtf).
        The .rtf file format is almost "universally" accepted by all word
        processors and should not be causing error messages.

        I've noticed in several (Sarah's) posts the tendency to start and stop
        and resynch and start again. This is not something that I do. Once a
        file is synched over to the desktop (after inspection), I open it up in
        WinTOTAL to make sure that all the data "made the trip". After checking
        the file on the desktop, I simply move the desktop file to the 2002
        folder and let WinTOTAL delete the Pocket TOTAL file from the Pocket PC.

        FieldPad files, depending on their drawing size, can "hide" on a second
        page or not appear on the screen. The reason is that they're basically
        a "graphic" and if the graphic is too large it will expand to an area
        that it will fit. I click on the page in Word and look for a graphic
        box. If there is one, I grab one of the border lines and try to click
        and drag the line so as to "shrink" the size of the image box. As the
        box shrinks, the freehand sketch and text comes into view. I'll shrink
        it until the entire image will fit on a single page. I think Sarah has
        already checked this stuff out and her problem goes beyond the image
        simply slip-sliding out of view.

        Like some others, I do "Save" my Pocket TOTAL file from time to time
        while I'm in the field. Not that I've had a problem, just being
        careful.

        Brian J. Davis, SRA
        Brian J. Davis & Assoc.
        Bloomington, IL / McLean Co.
        bjdavis@...
        http://www.home-appraiser.com
        (309) 662-4070 Voice/Fax
        (877) 701-8972 Toll Free Voice/Fax

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
          Sarah:

          I noticed that you posted this at 12:17 am last night (I was up working
          on a report then too!)

          Maybe you need to quit working so late! Seems it's affecting your
          resources (LOL!)

          Seriously, make the switch to XP. The time savings you get from less
          rebooting, resource errors, etc, will more than make up for the cost of
          the program in a couple of months. It's been said here many, many times
          that Athena runs much better under it!

          Leland Hill
          SoCalAppraiser@...
          (714) 897-3334

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
            Leland,

            It's not the cost of the new operating system that's keeping me from
            switching. It's the fact that I have no backup computer if there's a
            problem with the conversion and it takes several days. Maybe I'm
            paranoid, but there are a lot of programs that have to work well
            together for me to complete an appraisal these days. I was planning on
            buying a new computer this summer and making the switch, but I got
            PocketTotal and all the associated toys instead <G>. New desktop (or
            laptop) will have to wait.

            Sarah Vetault
            Tucson, AZ

            www.ComplineGroup.com

            ---

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
              Brian,

              Normally I only sync PocketTotal reports once. Then I check Athena to
              make sure the file is ok, print the FieldPad sketch, and move the report
              to a permanent, non-synchronized folder. Once I'm sure everything's
              "made the trip" I delete the PocketTotal file from the Jornada. I do
              this as soon as I get back to the office.

              This process was flawless for a week, but that one report on Friday
              wouldn't display the FieldPad drawing on the desktop. I deleted it
              from the desktop and resynced it because Tech Support told me to. It
              didn't work. And then the drawing disappeared from the Jornada too...

              Could be my Win98SE desktop operating system, could be that my Jornada
              is a 567 and yours is a 568. Could be my computer is haunted. Who
              knows.

              I don't usually exit Apex sketches leaving areas open, either. But at
              least it's possible to do it when necessary! Like on Friday. That
              whole report was jinxed. (There were also value issues - a cluster of
              reasonable looking comps at $375K and another cluster of reasonable
              looking comps at $575K, all from the subject subdivision. Primary
              difference appeared to be that the $575K homes had agents who typically
              work the high end, and the $375K homes didn't. There should have been
              view differences, construction differences, interior differences, etc.
              There wasn’t an obvious pattern. Even the assessor considered most of
              them similar. And the interior photos on the web listings for most of
              them didn't show major differences, either. Friday was a rough day!)

              Hope you all had a good weekend.

              Sarah Vetault
              Tucson, AZ

              www.ComplineGroup.com

              ---

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
                Sarah:

                Let me know when you decide to make the switch. I would be happy to help
                walk you through any problems.

                Or maybe you can fly me out for the day to help you! (LOL!)

                Leland Hill
                SoCalAppraiser@...
                (714) 897-3334

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2002
                  Leland,

                  Thanks!

                  Sarah Vetault
                  Tucson, AZ

                  www.ComplineGroup.com

                  ---

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2002
                    Yes, this has happened to me as well. This has made
                    even more gunshy, that I fear using Jornada and Pocket
                    Total.

                    Calvin

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com