announcements

  • Solomon Douglas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 1999
      Some lindy hop announcements:

      DANCE THIS THURSDAY

      * This Thursday at the Hooch will be a big night - it's Zoey, Mandi, and
      Tom's one-year lindy hop anniversary, so please come dance and help
      them celebrate! 817 Queen St. W., 9pm, $5 cover. The band is the Hot
      Five Jazzmakers.

      CLASSES

      * Martin and Jane are starting a new series of classes tonight. Phone
      them at (416)208-3279 if you're interested in signing up. I gather
      there will be a level 1 class (8pm-10pm on Sundays, assuming there's
      enough demand), a level 2 class (4pm-6pm on Sundays), and a "level 4"
      class (phone for info). I don't think they're doing a level 3 class
      this month.

      * Peter Renzland is having a "semi-open house" at his studio this month
      - all his lindy hop classes (Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:30pm) are
      half-price. Call him for details, (416)323-1300.

      By the way, any lindy hop teachers on this list should feel welcome to
      advertise your classes here. Just write to toronto_lindy@....

      PRACTICE SESSIONS

      * Zoey says that there's an open lindy hop practice on Wednesday
      nights. Everybody is welcome to come; ask her (fishx@...)
      for details. The only catch is that every girl must bring a guy for
      even numbers.

      * There will be a group of U of T students meeting on Friday afternoons
      or evenings (or some other time of week perhaps; we haven't fixed a
      time yet) to practise lindy hop. We'll be meeting at Hart House.
      This will be free for U of T students; everyone else is welcome too
      but I think you'll have to pay money to use the Hart House facilities
      if you don't have a U of T ID. Let me know if you're interested, and
      then I'll keep you posted.

      NEW YORK TRIP

      * If you're interested in going to the Darktown Strutter's Ball in New
      York on January 23, and if you'd like to get in on group travel
      arrangements, please come to a meeting today at 2pm at Fruition (492
      College St.).

      THE TORONTO_LINDY MAILING LIST

      * We're up to 40 members! By the way, everyone is free to write to this
      list. We don't want it to become a noisy environment for random
      unrelated discussions, but if you have something to say which relates
      to lindy hop in Toronto, please send it to the list by writing to
      toronto_lindy@onelist.com.

      See you soon,

      Solomon
    • Ray Hsu
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 1999
        >* There will be a group of U of T students meeting on Friday afternoons
        > or evenings (or some other time of week perhaps; we haven't fixed a
        > time yet) to practise lindy hop. We'll be meeting at Hart House.
        > This will be free for U of T students; everyone else is welcome too
        > but I think you'll have to pay money to use the Hart House facilities
        > if you don't have a U of T ID. Let me know if you're interested, and
        > then I'll keep you posted.

        I'm game for that. I'm not sure about Friday evenings, though... I'd have to
        figure out what time in the evening I might be doing something else. Does it
        have anything to do with that guy Bassam Hanafi? He apparently wanted to give
        swing lessons this half of the semester at Hart House.

        Ray
      • Michael Wagner
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 1999
          Message text written by Solomon Douglas
          >No connection to that guy Bassam Hanafi; haven't heard of him.

          He's a ballroom teacher. He'd teach Jive.

          Michael