Toronto Swing Dancing 411 for March 25th-March 31st, 2013

  • torontolindy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hi Everyone! Here is your swing dancing 411 for this week:

      Tuesday (March 26th): Alex Pangman album launch party @ the Jazz bistro
      https://www.facebook.com/events/595864677108399/

      Alex Pangman releases "Have A Little Fun", her newest recording for Justin Time Records, at the newly refurbished Jazz Bistro (formerly Top of the Senator). Joining her will be her band The Alleycats, including, Ross Wooldridge (clarinet/sax), Brigham Phillips (trumpet), Peter HIll (piano), Chris Banks (bass), & Glenn Anderson (drums)

      Album features standards, a few originals, surprises and special guests! (Some of These Days, I'm Confessin', Shanghai Lil, etc!)

      Admission $15
      251 Victoria Street, Toronto

      ALSO....

      The Hive Social-Lindy Hop & Balboa
      https://www.facebook.com/events/134968500008467/

      8:10pm – free drop-in lesson for Beginners
      9:15pm – Hive Social begins
      11:30pm – approximate wrap time
      $3 rental donations welcome!
      Location: 750 Yonge St.

      Wednesday (March 27th): UT-Swing Weekly Social dance
      https://www.facebook.com/events/399565896800612/

      Lesson at 7PM, dance from 8-10PM. Price: Drop-in for $4/$5. Members get in for free!

      Location: St. Hildas, 44 Devonshire Place

      Saturday (March 30th): Saturday Night Swing Easter edition featuring "Roberta Hunt & the Gents"
      https://www.facebook.com/events/379761228788131/

      Beginner classes before the Party taught by Reesa & James of Bees Knees Dance 7pm to 9pm, Balboa at 7pm, Lindy Hop at 8pm.

      Swing Party 9:10pm to 2am or later featuring the wonderful swing band Bertie (Roberta Hunt) & The Gents!

      Party $13, $15 with one class, $18 with both, $3 off for full-time students.

      Theme: Easter Parade. Dressing up or wearing Easter colours is encouraged, but optional.
      Easter eggs might be found.

      DJ David Trihn when the band is on break.

      This is the Saturday Night Party of the Toronto Toss Out Balboa Weekend!

      Sunday (March 31st): New Orleans Connection Allstarts at Grossmans Tavern

      4:30pm, room to dance and PWYC

      ALSO (something a little different)-Toronto Vintage Easter Parade
      https://www.facebook.com/events/102057939975951/?ref=ts&fref=ts

      Join us Sunday, March 31st 2013 for the 2nd Annual Toronto Vintage Easter Parade!

      Based on the traditional pedestrian Easter Parade that takes place in New York City, and which the fabulous Fred Astaire & Judy Garland film was based around, we'll be walking a dedicated route in our vintage finest.

      *This is not a big parade with floats and businesses and silly costumes. This is an organized parade of pedestrians, dressed in their finest, preferably in a living history and vintage spirit.

      You can read about last year's event here.

      2013 Event Details
      We'll convene at the Bees' Knees Dance studio at 1:30pm at 750 Yonge St. right the Shoe Company. We'll begin the parade at about 1:45pm.

      The route will probably be 2.5 km. Please wear comfortable walking shoes. We will walk at a leisurely rate, the route with some breaks along the way, wrapping at approximately 4pm.

      Schedule:

      1:30pm Convene at 750 Yonge St. (A)
      1:45pm Walking route begins.
      2:30pm Dundas Square – photos & dancing (B)
      3:00pm Walk through the Eaton Centre (C)
      3:30pm City Hall – photos & dancing (D)
      4pm Parade wraps

      In case of poor weather:

      If the weather is bad, we'll meet and ride the subway instead. The event is on, rain or shine!
      This is a free event. Anyone who is wearing appropriate dress is welcome! Just dress up and enjoy!

      Upcoming workshops/events:

      Frankie Manning Tribute Weekend
      http://frankietributeweekend.com/

      TLH September Workshop Weekend w/ Dargoff & Brittany
      https://www.facebook.com/events/129929660510081/

      Have an awesome week everyone!

      Liz-TLH