Loss   Leaders

  • Tor Hershman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
      I recently listened to the good Dr. D. being interviewed on
      Jonesville Station.

      http://www.wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=12160&archive=14894

      The information, historically speakin', that I found MOST interesting
      is that Dr. Demento was the
      compiler of the Warner Bros. "Loss Leaders."
      If I did, and I must have, read this somewhere before, it ain't on my
      cerebral hard-drive, it must have been a mental-ROM.

      http://www.dustbury.com/music/wblist2.html#336

      I was a huge fan of these INCREDIBLY peopled and AMAZINGLY priced LPs
      (Long playing, 33 & 1/3 RPM, vinyl).

      I got my first "Loss Leader," "October 10, 1969," [Album name and
      date of release] during my junior
      year of highschool.
      The above web-site doesn't have a pic of the LP cover (I've searched
      the web and, so far, no-one has an image). Too bad, it was, as I
      recall, all white with black gesture (outline) artwork.
      I was inspired to add some of moi's own doodles to the cover.
      The only one I remember drawin' and captioning was an outlined
      skyscraper.
      I put a sign on the cartoon-building's side sayin' "Jesus Saves - 4%,
      5% even 6% at the Middle National Bank."

      ^Digression^

      Hey, my junior year was also the time I came-up with a comedy concept
      I recently saw Martin Mull get a laugh with,
      a similarly toned (Same punch-line) bit,
      on Hollywood Squares.
      My digression digresses.
      Anywho, it was World Cultures class.
      Unlike the vast majority of my other, dreadfully boring, classes I
      enjoyed World Cultures; ergo the lonely A on my report-card.
      Sooooo, Mr. Everly asked the question I had been waitin' for most of
      the semester, "Who was the founder of Christianity?"
      I looked around the room, not a raised hand in site (I had planned to
      do an Arnold Horseshack precursor to get Mr. Everly's attention
      should [when] someone else put their paw skyward).
      Sooooooo, I raised my mitten-filler, I was called upon, I loudly
      spake,
      "JEEEEEEESSSSSUUUSSSS CCCCHHHEEEERRIIIIIIISSSSSSTTT!"

      Feelin' quite proud of myself, I looked around, there was no
      upheaval, {unlike MANY of most recently taken classes} Mr. Everly
      sèz, "That's right."
      The class continued.

      ^Progression^

      Anywho, when a "Loss Leader" arrived via the USPS, it
      was like a lill' holiday that evening;
      Koss headphones would go on, Rainier Ale (The Green Death) would come
      out, smoke would go in, smoke would go out, I enjoyed them, greatly!
      Many a fantastic, and for that time - non-imaginatively/technically
      impossible, video would be formed betwixt TOR's ears.
      I have splendiferously sweet memories of those lovable LPs.

      I shall now list the LPs
      [And my favorite song(s), at that time-period, from each set - one
      song per LP]
      we/I (Wifey & moi) have had the extreme pleasure to have grooved-to
      while grinding the grooves, practically, gone.

      OCTOBER 10, 1969
      (PRO 351, 1969)
      single disk
      Fav song:
      Norman Greenbaum: Spirit in the Sky

      THE 1969 WARNER/REPRISE RECORD SHOW
      double disk
      (PRO 336, 1969)
      [Purchased after, "Oct. 10, 1969"]
      Fav songs:
      Pearls Before Swine: These Things Too
      Hamilton Camp: Star Spangled Bus

      THE BIG BALL
      double disk
      (PRO 358, 1970)
      Fav songs:
      The Pentangle: Sally Go Round the Roses
      Joni Mitchell: Big Yellow Taxi

      LOONEY TUNES & MERRIE MELODIES(PRO 423, 1970)
      The ONLY triple disk set
      Fav songs:
      Jimmy Webb: P. F. Sloan
      Arlo Guthrie: Valley to Pray
      Frank Zappa: Would You Go All the Way?

      THE WHOLE BURBANK CATALOG
      double disk
      (PRO 512, 1972)
      [NOTE: If I read that Dr. D. did the doings,
      I didn't/don't recall it.]
      Fav songs:
      T. Rex: Bang a Gong (Get It On)
      William Truckaway: Bluegreens

      ALL SINGING, ALL TALKING, ALL ROCKING
      double disk
      (PRO 573, 1973)
      [NOTE: It's my opinion that this LP started the "....we don't need no
      stinkin' badges" comedy standard]
      Fav songs:The Mothers: I am the slime
      Tim Buckley: Sally Go 'Round the Roses

      ALL MEAT
      double disk
      (PRO 604, 1975)
      Fav Songs:
      Hirth Martinez: Comin' Round the Moon
      Martin Mull: Show Me Yours (I'll Show You Mine)

      THE WORKS
      double disk
      (PRO 610, 1975)
      Fav Songs:
      Leo Sayer: Moonlighting
      Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart: Debra Kadabra

      I read, at a web-site, that a mint-copy of "October 10, 1969" was
      recently purchased on Ebay for.....one buck, the original price,
      YIKES!

      Best Regards,
      TOR
    • Kappolino
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
        Primo interview and the highschool confessional is great too.
        --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Tor Hershman"

      • Trara
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
          Super, xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
          Trara
          <tor_h_tor_h@h...> wrote:
> [...]
          > (PRO 573, 1973)
          > [NOTE: It's my opinion that this LP started the "....we don't need
          no
          > stinkin' badges" comedy standard]
          > Fav songs:The Mothers: I am the slime
          > Tim Buckley: Sally Go 'Round the Roses
          >

          > ALL MEAT
          > double disk
          > (PRO 604, 1975)
          > Fav Songs:
          > Hirth Martinez: Comin' Round the Moon
          > Martin Mull: Show Me Yours (I'll Show You Mine)
          >

          > THE WORKS
          > double disk
          > (PRO 610, 1975)
          > Fav Songs:
          > Leo Sayer: Moonlighting
          > Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart: Debra Kadabra
          >
          > I read, at a web-site, that a mint-copy of "October 10, 1969" was
          > recently purchased on Ebay for.....one buck, the original price,

        • singingwildman
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2004
            word ! --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Tor Hershman"
            <tor_h_tor_h@h...> wrote:
> [...]
            > (PRO 573, 1973)
            > [NOTE: It's my opinion that this LP started the "....we don't need
            no
            > stinkin' badges" comedy standard]
            > Fav songs:The Mothers: I am the slime
            > Tim Buckley: Sally Go 'Round the Roses
            >

            > ALL MEAT
            > double disk
            > (PRO 604, 1975)
            > Fav Songs:
            > Hirth Martinez: Comin' Round the Moon
            > Martin Mull: Show Me Yours (I'll Show You Mine)
            >

            > THE WORKS
            > double disk
            > (PRO 610, 1975)
            > Fav Songs:
            > Leo Sayer: Moonlighting
            > Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart: Debra Kadabra
            >
            > I read, at a web-site, that a mint-copy of "October 10, 1969" was
            > recently purchased on Ebay for.....one buck, the original price,

          • Sub_Verbo
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2004
              Primo interview and the highschool confessional is great too.
              I agree 100%.
            • Becky
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 22, 2004
                I am so happy I joined Tor's group.