  The Star Spangled Parody

  • Tor Hershman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
      TOR's covering of the ORIGINAL lyrics to the tune we know as "The
      Star Spangled Banner," it's in the Files as an mp3.

      "To Anacreon In Heaven"

      Music: Ralph Tomlinson
      Lyrics: John Stafford Smith

      "Anacreon,
      in heaven, full of glee,
      A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
      That he their inspirer and patron would be,
      When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
      Voice, fiddle aud flute, no longer be mute,
      I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot!
      And besides I'll instruct you like me to entwine
      The myrtle of Venus and Bacchus's vine."

      It's interesting when you think, the of the two most famous song,
      from the American Revolution, one is a parody (Star Spangled Banner)
      the other, a novelty song (Yankee Doodle).
    • Kappolino
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        I knew it was from an older song but I had never knew the words
        before now. Thanks, TOR. That was 2 kewl.

        --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Tor Hershman"
        <tor_h_tor_h@h...> wrote:
        > TOR's covering of the ORIGINAL lyrics to the tune we know as "The
        > Star Spangled Banner," it's in the Files as an mp3.
        >

        > "To Anacreon In Heaven"
        >

        > Music: Ralph Tomlinson
        > Lyrics: John Stafford Smith
        >

        > "Anacreon,
        > in heaven, full of glee,
        > A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
        > That he their inspirer and patron would be,
        > When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
        > Voice, fiddle aud flute, no longer be mute,
        > I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot!
        > And besides I'll instruct you like me to entwine
        > The myrtle of Venus and Bacchus's vine."
        >

        > It's interesting when you think, the of the two most famous song,
        > from the American Revolution, one is a parody (Star Spangled
        Banner)
        > the other, a novelty song (Yankee Doodle).
      • Becky
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
          I'm very glad I joined this group.
          <tor_h_tor_h@h...> wrote:
          > TOR's covering of the ORIGINAL lyrics to the tune we know as "The
          > Star Spangled Banner," it's in the Files as an mp3.
          >

          > "To Anacreon In Heaven"
          >

          > Music: Ralph Tomlinson
          > Lyrics: John Stafford Smith
          >

          > "Anacreon,
          > in heaven, full of glee,
          > A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
          > That he their inspirer and patron would be,
          > When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
          > Voice, fiddle aud flute, no longer be mute,
          > I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot!
          > And besides I'll instruct you like me to entwine
          > The myrtle of Venus and Bacchus's vine."
          >

          > It's interesting when you think, the of the two most famous song,
          > from the American Revolution, one is a parody (Star Spangled
          Banner)
          > the other, a novelty song (Yankee Doodle).
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
            Ditto!
            --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Becky" <ghostlygalsgroove@y...>
            wrote:
            > I'm very glad I joined this group.
            > --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Tor Hershman"
            > <tor_h_tor_h@h...> wrote:
            > > TOR's covering of the ORIGINAL lyrics to the tune we know as "The
            > > Star Spangled Banner," it's in the Files as an mp3.
            > >

            > > "To Anacreon In Heaven"
            > >

            > > Music: Ralph Tomlinson
            > > Lyrics: John Stafford Smith
            > >

            > > "Anacreon,
            > > in heaven, full of glee,
            > > A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
            > > That he their inspirer and patron would be,
            > > When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
            > > Voice, fiddle aud flute, no longer be mute,
            > > I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot!
            > > And besides I'll instruct you like me to entwine
            > > The myrtle of Venus and Bacchus's vine."
            > >

            > > It's interesting when you think, the of the two most famous song,
            > > from the American Revolution, one is a parody (Star Spangled
            > Banner)
            > > the other, a novelty song (Yankee Doodle).
          • Sub_Verbo
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
              Same here, Tor doth rahule.
              --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Kappolino" <kap0kap@y...> wrote:
              > I knew it was from an older song but I had never knew the words
              > before now. Thanks, TOR. That was 2 kewl.
              >

              > --- In Tor_Hershman@yahoogroups.com, "Tor Hershman"
              > <tor_h_tor_h@h...> wrote:
              > > TOR's covering of the ORIGINAL lyrics to the tune we know as "The
              > > Star Spangled Banner," it's in the Files as an mp3.
              > >

              > > "To Anacreon In Heaven"
              > >

              > > Music: Ralph Tomlinson
              > > Lyrics: John Stafford Smith
              > >

              > > "Anacreon,
              > > in heaven, full of glee,
              > > A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
              > > That he their inspirer and patron would be,
              > > When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
              > > Voice, fiddle aud flute, no longer be mute,
              > > I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot!
              > > And besides I'll instruct you like me to entwine
              > > The myrtle of Venus and Bacchus's vine."
              > >

              > > It's interesting when you think, the of the two most famous song,
              > > from the American Revolution, one is a parody (Star Spangled
              > Banner)
              > > the other, a novelty song (Yankee Doodle).
            • Trara
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
                Ditto too
                xoxoxoxoxoxoxo Trara