Bobtown PA outlaws Trick Or Treating

  • Tor Hershman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2011
      This was moi's hometown from 8 to 19 years of age.

      I had to get this story from
      Free-Range Kids for the other web pages, such as the CBS one, are rapitly disappearing.

      Posted on October 12, 2009 by lskenazy
      Can we think up some great trick to play on the town supervisors in quaint and quaking Bobtown, Pennsylvania, who are OUTLAWING HALLOWEEN in order to "keep kids safe"?
      Perhaps they missed Chapter 7 in the book Free-Range Kids, "Eat Chocolate! Give Halloween Back to the Trick-or-Treaters." Allow me to quote myself a little bit:
      Was there ever really a rash of candy killings? Joel Best, a professor of sociology and criminal justice at the University of Delaware, took it upon himself to find out. He studied crime reports from Halloween dating back as far as 1958, and guess exactly how many kids he found poisoned by a stranger's candy?
      A hundred and five? A dozen? Well, one, at least?
      "The bottom line is that I cannot find any evidence that any child has ever been killed or seriously hurt by a contaminated treat picked up in the course of trick-or-treating," says the professor. The fear is completely unfounded.
      Now, one time, in 1974, a Texas dad did kill his own son with a poisoned Pixie Stix. "He had taken out an insurance policy on his son's life shortly before Halloween, and I think he probably did this on the theory that there were so many poison candy deaths, no one would ever suspect him," says Best. "In fact, he was very quickly tried and put to death long ago." That's Texas for you.
      Best added that at one time another child was poisoned by accidentally ingesting his uncle's stash of heroin and the family tried to pass it off as a stranger poisoning. But it didn't work.
      So, Bobtownians, please re-consider axe-murdering an ancient holiday in order to keep children safe from a danger that does not exist. While we applaud the notion of that communal party you want to throw, save it for a day when it does not intefere with one of childhood's greatest joys. Or else?
      Be afraid of a force more powerful than magic. A force that likes its candy and knows how to scream. – Lenore