New member looking for some direction.

  • wvengineer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
      Hello group!
      I am a new member, living in West Virinia. I attended a local
      beekeeping course a couple of years ago and purchased all equipment
      needed to start as directed by the class. Just before starting I
      began reading about the art of beekeeping on my own and found myself
      no longer interested in continuing down the path I had started. The
      course only went over the use of langs and the treatments with
      chemicals. I did not want to take part of this methoid of
      beekeeping, I want to be organic. I don't like to expose myself to
      unnessary chemicals, let along raise bees on chemicals. I decided to
      get rid of all my equipment except my smoker. I plan to construct two
      TBHs this winter to start natural colonies this spring.
      I was wondering if anyone has experimented with TBHs having a
      screened bottom? What kinds of bee related problems do you find with
      organic TBHs (mites, CCD, foul brood,...ect)?

      I am really looking forward to hearing about more experiance with
      TBHs, knowing there is no local keepers that use them. I would like
      to be the first local beekeeper to be 100% organic. I would enjoy to
      attend local beekeeping meetings and share success stories with
      keepers who believe it is impossible to maintain a healy apairy with
      out the use of chemicals.

      Regards,

      It is better to be part to the solutin that the cause....
    • Phil Chandler
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2007
        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "wvengineer" <andyholcomb@...> wrote
        >Just before starting I
        > began reading about the art of beekeeping on my own and found myself
        > no longer interested in continuing down the path I had started. The
        > course only went over the use of langs and the treatments with
        > chemicals. I did not want to take part of this methoid of
        > beekeeping, I want to be organic.

        Hello Andy,
        Congratulations on being one of the few to think for themselves.
        Sounds like you went through similar thought processes to those I had
        when I started, except you were quicker!
        I use screened floors on all my TBHs except one (for comparison) and I
        even had one running through from the spring with no floor at all -
        just an open bottom - and they did fine.
        There are free TBH plans on my site and a friendly forum if you need
        ongoing help.
        Good luck and don't worry about the flak from Langers! They getr
        really sick when you show them how simple your hives are and how
        little equipment you need.
        Best regards,
        Phil Chandler
        www.biobees.com
      • bethblue1122
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2007
          Welcome Andy,

          I have no experience with screened bottoms, mine are solid. I am a
          first year beekeeper using TBH, no chemicals or additives of any kind
          (except some feeding during our recent draught).

          I wanted to suggest that in addition to this forum, and biobees, as
          suggested by Phil, that you may also want to look at
          http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Organicbeekeepers/

          The group is large and active (sometimes too many emails in a day),
          but because of the activity I have found them to be a wonderful
          resource. The beekeepers on that list have a huge amount of
          experience and are very willing to mentor newbees. It is important,
          especially if you are alone in your attempt to do this without
          chemicals in your area.

          Best of luck!

          Beth Boyer
          Connecticut