Re: Introduction

  • stangardens
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 31, 2007
      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, WMILLER <wmiller@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I've just joined tophive as almost a complete newbie... I do not
      have any bees yet but plan to start out with two top bar hives in
      the spring. My partner will be constructing our hives in a few
      weeks. I am committed to sustainable living and would like my
      beekeeping practices to follow suit.

      > Also, if any of you are interested, if all goes well (as in
      getting my sabbatical approved and a little grant money), I will be
      beginning ethnographic research of the beekeeping world starting
      next spring as well. (I'm a sociologist by trade) If any of you are
      interested in this, check out my blog (see signature below) I look
      forward to learning from you all.

      > Wes Miller
      >
      > "Well-behaved faculty rarely make history"

      what is an ethnographer?
      stan in somerset

    • WMILLER
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2007
        Ethnography is a research method often associated with anthropology but is also popular in sociology. The researcher becomes a participant observer in a social world they wish to discover instead of sending out a questionnaire or doing an experiment. Most anthropological studies people know about were probably done by this method. You do extensive observations of all dimensions of a social world and record your observation through detailed fieldnotes.

        Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:37:25 -0000
        From: stangardens
        To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [TopHive] Re: Introduction

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, WMILLER > wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I've just joined tophive as almost a complete newbie... I do not
        have any bees yet but plan to start out with two top bar hives in
        the spring. My partner will be constructing our hives in a few
        weeks. I am committed to sustainable living and would like my
        beekeeping practices to follow suit.

        > Also, if any of you are interested, if all goes well (as in
        getting my sabbatical approved and a little grant money), I will be
        beginning ethnographic research of the beekeeping world starting
        next spring as well. (I'm a sociologist by trade) If any of you are
        interested in this, check out my blog (see signature below) I look
        forward to learning from you all.

        > Wes Miller
        >
        > "Well-behaved faculty rarely make history"

        what is an ethnographer?
        stan in somerset

        "Well-behaved faculty rarely make history"

        http://canariesinacoalmine.blogspot.com

      • nicty95
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 7, 2007
          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, WMILLER <wmiller@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I've just joined tophive as almost a complete newbie... I do not
          have any bees yet but plan to start out with two top bar hives in the
          spring. My partner will be constructing our hives in a few weeks. I
          am committed to sustainable living and would like my beekeeping
          practices to follow suit.

          > Also, if any of you are interested, if all goes well (as in getting
          my sabbatical approved and a little grant money), I will be beginning
          ethnographic research of the beekeeping world starting next spring as
          well. (I'm a sociologist by trade) If any of you are interested in
          this, check out my blog (see signature below) I look forward to
          learning from you all.

          > Wes Miller
          >
          > "Well-behaved faculty rarely make history"
          >
          > http://canariesinacoalmine.blogspot.com

          If youare into sustainbility check out www,biobees,com!
          Gary
          www.hirschbachapiary.com
        • WMILLER
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 7, 2007
            Thanks Gary,

            I have check out biobees and have an account. You recently responded to a message I left on the forum under the pseudonym "Abelisto" :)

            Wes

            "Well-behaved faculty rarely make history"

            http://canariesinacoalmine.blogspot.com
          • j.buttrey
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 16, 2010
              Hi, My name is Jimmy Buttrey. I live in Moose Pass, AK. I'm new to the group and new to beekeeping. I've done some research and talked with some keepers and have decided to take the plunge. I finally have the time and money to start (can't wait). I'm leaning in the direction of a TBH. Is TBH ok for beginners or should I stick to the traditional Langstroth? Are there any good TBH book you would recommend?
            • rdshu4u
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 16, 2010
                New to beekeeping myself. I just started my hives last spring with TBH's. I wouldn't trade them for nothing! I had to start my hives on a very small budget. I could either buy bees or a hive. My TBHs allowed me to start 2 hives for less than the start up of one Lang. It has been amazing to watch them turn an empty box into a beehive. When it's warm I think it is so cool when I can check my hives from the back, the bees aren't upset, and I can just watch them do what they do for a bit. I've not had any trouble with mites, ants, or anything else.
                There is a good plan on the Barefoot Beekeeper's website. I personally think the TBH is a much more natural way to go, and cheapest. I built my hives with cut-off lumber from Home Depot @ .25/board. From what I've read, Langs seem to be a lot more work. By the way, I'm in Southeast Texas. I've attended the local beekepers assoc. meetings, and being the only one around with TBH's, kinda makes me the local aouthority. To sum it all up, I think TBH's are the way to go for new beeks - they were for me anyway. GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new friends!

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 17, 2010
                  >Is TBH ok for beginners or should
                  I stick to the traditional Langstroth? Are there any good TBH book you would
                  recommend? Jim...

                  Here's a free eBook, 158 pgs.
                  http://www.mygarden.ws/beekeeping_for_all.pdf

                  Hive plans too. There are clearer copies of plans though,
                  if you need them. It's a TBhive, but stacks like a Lang.
                  Organic no treatment methodology is their preferred way to go.
                  But, it's so easy, you'll still need to go get a hobby...
                  You can add observation windows and make it a lil harder.
                  ;>)

                • roger g
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 17, 2010
                    I too started last spring with 2 langs and 2 topbar hives built all myself. Grew to seven colinies by fall with swarms and a romoval and a trapout. the topbars grew quikly and swarmed in late june requeened themselves and came back great.
                    I was really cloating with pride 7 collonies first yr 5 in langs,2 topbar. the local club was here for the fall meeting complimenting the work i did. Had some wax moth, small hivebeetle didn't seem to be a problem. found mites, added screened bottom board and dusted w/sugar.
                    Sadly one by one lost couple in fall. First found foul broad in one i re-hived, an abandoned hive at another location (had to burn) I lost queen in another late fall and combined w/another. Last week cheched and i lost a topbar and another lang after a long freeze, they were doing great. Both had lots of honey left???????
                    i'm down to one topbar and one lang,disheartning but not giving up. I fed a lot of sugar last yr cause of rain and poor season. I hope these 2 make it till spring so i can regroup. In closing i think the topbars are easiest to manage and more fun. I could work with them with less caution, they were very calm bees. roger NJ
                    --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "rdshu4u" <rdshu4u@...> wrote:

                    > New to beekeeping myself. I just started my hives last spring with TBH's. I wouldn't trade them for nothing! I had to start my hives on a very small budget. I could either buy bees or a hive. My TBHs allowed me to start 2 hives for less than the start up of one Lang. It has been amazing to watch them turn an empty box into a beehive. When it's warm I think it is so cool when I can check my hives from the back, the bees aren't upset, and I can just watch them do what they do for a bit. I've not had any trouble with mites, ants, or anything else.
                    > There is a good plan on the Barefoot Beekeeper's website. I personally think the TBH is a much more natural way to go, and cheapest. I built my hives with cut-off lumber from Home Depot @ .25/board. From what I've read, Langs seem to be a lot more work. By the way, I'm in Southeast Texas. I've attended the local beekepers assoc. meetings, and being the only one around with TBH's, kinda makes me the local aouthority. To sum it all up, I think TBH's are the way to go for new beeks - they were for me anyway. GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new friends!
                    >
                    > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "j.buttrey" <j.buttrey@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi, My name is Jimmy Buttrey. I live in Moose Pass, AK. I'm new to the group and new to beekeeping. I've done some research and talked with some keepers and have decided to take the plunge. I finally have the time and money to start (can't wait). I'm leaning in the direction of a TBH. Is TBH ok for beginners or should I stick to the traditional Langstroth? Are there any good TBH book you would recommend?

                  • Christy Hemenway
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 17, 2010
                      Hi Jimmy --

                      It's odd to me how many people seem to think that Langstroth is some
                      sort of baseline or benchmark. My thought is that if you *begin* with
                      top bar hives, you don't have to learn, and then UNlearn how to
                      manipulate Langstroth equipment and its accompanying mindset.

                      For information and research -- www.biobees.com is Phil Chandler's
                      site (you've probably been there by now!) and he has written a great
                      book on TBH call The Barefoot Beekeeper.

                      And another terrific resource is Michael Bush's website at www.bushfarms.com
                      . There is more information available there (and for free) about all
                      things bee than you can shake a stick at.

                      Have a great time - you will love keeping bees.

                      -- Christy Hemenway
                      GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                      "Makers of Gold Star Top Bar Hive kits and Beekeeping Equipment"
                      207-449-1121
                      www.goldstarhoneybees.com

                      Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
                      Green Business by the Green Business Network
                      www.greenamericatoday.org

                      On Jan 16, 2010, at 11:20 PM, j.buttrey wrote:

                      > Hi, My name is Jimmy Buttrey. I live in Moose Pass, AK. I'm new to
                      > the group and new to beekeeping. I've done some research and talked
                      > with some keepers and have decided to take the plunge. I finally
                      > have the time and money to start (can't wait). I'm leaning in the
                      > direction of a TBH. Is TBH ok for beginners or should I stick to the
                      > traditional Langstroth? Are there any good TBH book you would
                      > recommend?

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 17, 2010
                        Hello Christy, et al;

                        You bring up an interesting point about whether Langstroth hives are a benchmark, baseline, standard, or something, to which other methods of beekeeping is compared. I kind of believe that it is. Let me explain.

                        Up until relatively recently, say the past three or four years, I didn't realize that there were other ways to hive bees, at least here in the US.
                        My grandfather had bees millenia ago, at least to me, and they were Langs...at least from the photos I saw of them. When learning about beekeeping and honey production in elementary school, and even in high school biology classes, it is the Langstroth hive that is used as the standard example. All of the commercial hives I have seen are Langs. When comb honey is bought, it is in frames that come from Langstroth hives, etc., etc., and so on.

                        It seems that Mr Dadant, and others did a very great job of marketing these hives, and this way of beekeeping. So in my opinion, yes, Langstroth hives are kind of a standard, or baseline..whether real or percieved, that all other ways of beekeeping are compared to. TBH and Warre have always been sort of a novelty, at least for me, until I found more about them via the internet. Now I see TBH and Warre info all over the net.

                        As you say, yes, why learn to keep bees via Langstroth hives, then unlearn it to learn other ways to keep bees. However, I do believe that most folks have a mental picture of a Lang hive when they first think of beekeeping.

                        Luckily, today, there is more info on other hive styles, and when beginning to keep bees, one can start with a TBH or other style hive, and start learning that way, instead of relearning from what was learned by studying the Langstroth way of doing things.

                        With the info that is now available on internet about TBH beekeeping, there is no reason to learn Lang first. Thanks for bringing this up, and for the links. They are great, and I have been to them many times.

                        Stay warm,

                        Dan Harriman
                        Tyler Texas

                        If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try sky diving!

                        --- On Sun, 1/17/10, Christy Hemenway <christy@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jimmy --
                        >
                        > It's odd to me how many people seem to think that
                        > Langstroth is some
                        > sort of baseline or benchmark.  My thought is that if
                        > you *begin* with
                        > top bar hives, you don't have to learn, and then UNlearn
                        > how to
                        > manipulate Langstroth equipment and its accompanying
                        > mindset.
                        >
                        > For information and research -- www.biobees.com is Phil
                        > Chandler's
                        > site (you've probably been there by now!) and he has
                        > written a great
                        > book on TBH call The Barefoot Beekeeper.
                        >
                        > And another terrific resource is Michael Bush's website at
                        > www.bushfarms.com
                        > .  There is more information available there (and for
                        > free) about all
                        > things bee than you can shake a stick at.
                        >
                        > Have a great time - you will love keeping bees.
                        >
                        >   -- Christy Hemenway
                      • j.buttrey
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 17, 2010
                          Thanks everyone for the info. Christy and Dan your right; when I asked about the "traditional Langstroths", they used to be the only hive I knew about. I watched a show on permaculture with Bill Mollison, and saw the TBH for the first time. I was astounded, I started wondering why more keepers weren't using this system. Until that point, I was really ignorant to other styles of hives. Thanks again for the info.

                          Jimmy

                          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Dan <kc5gxl@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > It's odd to me how many people seem to think that
                          > > Langstroth is some
                          > > sort of baseline or benchmark.  My thought is that if
                          > > you *begin* with
                          > > top bar hives, you don't have to learn, and then UNlearn
                          > > how to
                          > > manipulate Langstroth equipment and its accompanying
                          > > mindset.
                          > >
                          > > For information and research -- www.biobees.com is Phil
                          > > Chandler's
                          > > site (you've probably been there by now!) and he has
                          > > written a great
                          > > book on TBH call The Barefoot Beekeeper.
                          > >
                          > > And another terrific resource is Michael Bush's website at
                          > > www.bushfarms.com
                          > > .  There is more information available there (and for
                          > > free) about all
                          > > things bee than you can shake a stick at.
                          > >
                          > > Have a great time - you will love keeping bees.

                        • Christy Hemenway
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 17, 2010
                            Dan,

                            You make a terrific point about the "marketing" and the baseline
                            concept. Since the Langstroth hive had been for long and long the
                            only commercially produced beehive - it became an accepted sort of
                            "standard equipment". When I began keeping bees, I too thought - this
                            is the way you keep bees.

                            But as I sat in my first beekeeping class, I still had to wonder, and
                            finally I gathered up my courage and I asked out loud - timidly
                            raising my hand from the back of the class - "What did bees do before
                            we gave them wax foundation?" When I got crickets for a response -
                            that unsettled me. It unsettled me enough to make me search in
                            earnest for an alternative. And top bar hives, when I stumbled upon
                            them were definitely alternative. So alternative as to almost be
                            considered "crackpot" by beekeepers with years of experience. But it
                            made so much sense!

                            And then I remembered that the more matter of fact you are about
                            something, the more matter of fact-ly people respond to it. And so I
                            matter-of-factly began beekeeping in top bar hives, and then I began
                            making top bar hives, and now I own a company that manufactures a top
                            bar hive kit, and it is the beginning of the same sort of thing that
                            L.L. Langstroth began and Charlie P. Dadant continued. Gold Star Top
                            Bar Hives are a "standard" - with identical, interchangeable parts,
                            and a reliable company to stand behind it, and soon we will find that
                            Langstroth equipment is no longer the only alternative.

                            Because we are shifting the paradigm. And we are just in time.

                            -- Christy Hemenway
                            GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                            "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"

                            On Jan 17, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Dan wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > It's odd to me how many people seem to think that
                            > > Langstroth is some
                            > > sort of baseline or benchmark. My thought is that if
                            > > you *begin* with
                            > > top bar hives, you don't have to learn, and then UNlearn
                            > > how to
                            > > manipulate Langstroth equipment and its accompanying
                            > > mindset.
                            > >
                            > > For information and research -- www.biobees.com is Phil
                            > > Chandler's
                            > > site (you've probably been there by now!) and he has
                            > > written a great
                            > > book on TBH call The Barefoot Beekeeper.
                            > >
                            > > And another terrific resource is Michael Bush's website at
                            > > www.bushfarms.com
                            > > . There is more information available there (and for
                            > > free) about all
                            > > things bee than you can shake a stick at.
                            > >
                            > > Have a great time - you will love keeping bees.

                          • Tom O'Brien
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 18, 2010
                              http://longlangwithlegs.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

                              as the season progresses i'll have more to say on long langs.....they are v
                              simple and easy to work with

> [...]
                              >> >
                              >> > It's odd to me how many people seem to think that
                              >> > Langstroth is some
                              >> > sort of baseline or benchmark. My thought is that if
                              >> > you *begin* with
                              >> > top bar hives, you don't have to learn, and then UNlearn
                              >> > how to
                              >> > manipulate Langstroth equipment and its accompanying
                              >> > mindset.
                              >> >
                              >> > For information and research -- www.biobees.com is Phil
                              >> > Chandler's
                              >> > site (you've probably been there by now!) and he has
                              >> > written a great
                              >> > book on TBH call The Barefoot Beekeeper.
                              >> >
                              >> > And another terrific resource is Michael Bush's website at
                              >> > www.bushfarms.com
                              >> > . There is more information available there (and for
                              >> > free) about all
                              >> > things bee than you can shake a stick at.
                              >> >
                              >> > Have a great time - you will love keeping bees.

                            • DonnaC
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                Thank you for allowing me to join your group, my name is Donna and I live in KY. I have wanted to get involved in beekeeping for a long time but it seemed so complicated. Recently I heard about the top bar beehive and became quite intrigued. So I just finished building one, it is too late in the year to get bees, I have checked all over our area, but next year I hope to get some. I am interested in learning everthing I can about the hive and taking care of bees.
                                Thank you again,
                                Donna
                              • Robbie Mabry
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                  Hi Donna,
                                  This is a great hobby, but I will warn you that beekeeping is like drugs,
                                  you can't get enough. I have been keeping bees for about 30 years and
                                  just built my first TBH this summer. The folks on this site really helped
                                  take the pressure off me and got me on the right road. Welcome to a great
                                  hobby.

                                  Robbie
                                  Melbourne, Arkansas

                                  On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:25 AM, DonnaC <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Thank you for allowing me to join your group, my name is Donna and I live
                                  > in KY. I have wanted to get involved in beekeeping for a long time but it
                                  > seemed so complicated. Recently I heard about the top bar beehive and
                                  > became quite intrigued. So I just finished building one, it is too late in
                                  > the year to get bees, I have checked all over our area, but next year I
                                  > hope to get some. I am interested in learning everthing I can about the
                                  > hive and taking care of bees.
                                  > Thank you again,
                                  > Donna

                                • Donna Convery
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                    Thank you Robbie, I am sure that I am going to have fun, since I love to learn new things. How do you think the TBH compares to the standard beehive?
                                    Donna

                                    >________________________________

                                  • Robbie Mabry
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                      I don't expect to get as much honey, but much more wax. I have found out
                                      it requires more fussing around, but that's why I keep bees. I would
                                      advise wearing a bee suit until you get relaxed with them then you will
                                      know what you can and can't do without protection. I am not to one to talk
                                      about the TBH as this is my first season with them. I expect some of the
                                      other folks will be giving you much better advise than I.

                                      On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Donna Convery <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > Thank you Robbie, I am sure that I am going to have fun, since I love to
                                      > learn new things. How do you think the TBH compares to the standard beehive?
                                      > Donna
                                      >
                                      > >________________________________

                                    • Rafael Montag
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                        Welcome.

                                        Raf
                                        Hyattstown, MD

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                          Donna,

                                          Welcome to one of the greatest hobbies. I would like to send you back
                                          into the wood-workshop to build a second hive. It is recommended to
                                          start with two to four hives. First, because you can compare them in
                                          their development. Bee colonies are like siblings, they are all
                                          different in temperament, health and production. One student from my
                                          beginners class said: If I had started with just the rowdy colony I
                                          would have quit. But the good colony showed me how things should be.

                                          Second, a bee keeper sometimes takes from a strong hive to help a weaker
                                          one overcome a problem. If a queen gets sick and dies the beekeeper can
                                          give them a bar with eggs from the other hives so that they can make a
                                          new queen.

                                          The other thing I suggest is to go to your local bee keepers club
                                          meeting and offer your help to an experienced beekeeper, so you can get
                                          comfortable handling the bees with some guidance.

                                          Jorg
                                        • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                            I'll second Jorg's suggestions.

                                            Another thing to watch out for, is "beekeeper burnout". _D_o_n_'_t_ get
                                            above five hives the first three years.

                                            I've seen it far too often. Very often the first year or two is
                                            successful and there are only minor problems. This really gives people
                                            the beekeeping bug, which leads them to expand the number of hives. What
                                            they don't have, is experience, so they cut corners, and when the
                                            inevitable problems start showing up, they can be hit very hard, often
                                            leading to burnout - in some cases, even severe stress. Very few of
                                            those burnouts remain beekeepers after the fifth year. Limiting yourself
                                            to five hives, lets you gain experience without overextending.

                                            And _do_ get your self a _compatible_ mentor. Having a mentor, can be
                                            very rewarding, lead you away from a _lot_ of mistakes, and lead to long
                                            lasting friendships. But find someone compatible - many are locked in
                                            their mind to doing things one way only, and that usually does not
                                            include topbar hives.

                                            --
                                            venlig hilsen / best regards

                                            Peter H. Rankin Hansen
                                            Stjærvej 15, Storring
                                            DK-8464 Galten
                                            Danmark

                                            (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

                                            Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.

                                          • elegans@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                              Hey Donna!

                                              Everyone has said valuable suggestion. Wouldn't take any away. Would add
                                              that you are in for a terrific ride. Try not to use smoke when you go in to
                                              inspect. start from the back end, and one frame at a time move forward
                                              slowly and deliberately and you will see how tolerant bees can bee.

                                              As for stocking with a colony.... There is still a lot of summer left, So I
                                              would go ahead with the understanding that they may or may not build up
                                              and get a good storage for the winter. You might get only a half build. But
                                              there are follower boards you can use to get it cozy for the winter, and
                                              entrance reducers and all, and insulation.... but you will get there as
                                              needed. PLUS if the hive does fail to make it over the first winter, there will
                                              be built out comb for a new colony and they will have a great start to next
                                              summer. Join a local bee club if you can, to get camaraderie. Although not
                                              many bee club folks are Top bar folks and they look at you as crazy. But
                                              they might be able to get you a captured swarm to start with!!!!!!

                                              Stay with the group here, there is a whole lot of experience. A good web
                                              site that I like is Michael Bush's site _http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm_
                                              (http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm) He's got lots of good info. Though
                                              primarily a Lang guy, he did build a horizontal Lang which is really a modified
                                              Top Bar.

                                              Good Luck,

                                              George

                                            • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                And don't let yourself get confused. Whenever there's four beekeepers
                                                present, there's usually five opinions about how to do something - and
                                                most likely, they'll all work.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                  Jorg and group,
                                                  I have a second hive cut out, I just need to make my bars and roof. But I didn't think it was a good idea to do a second one right away, so now I will get back to putting that one together. I have to say thanks to everyone for all the great information.I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I am going back over each response and write down the suggestions then get started on them. We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back. But I think I will now. We have a meeting next Thursday night. Gosh, I sure appreciate all the ideas.
                                                  Donna

                                                  >________________________________

                                                • Maureen Russell
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                    Hi Donna
                                                    I haven't really posted on this forum but wanted to welcome you because I have felt the same way about attending my local bee group. In fact the Florida beekeepers group didn't even want to respond toe when they heard I had top bar hives. I have inky been beekeeping since October but things are going well. I split my hives earlier in the year fro
                                                    Two to four. It took them awhile to become queen right with the weather but all is well now. They way we box our bees are different but how and what you look for is very much the same. Remember we are beekeepers not box keepers. Welcome to the group. If you need anything just give a shout!

                                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                                    On Jul 13, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Donna Convery <dnnconvery@...> wrote:

                                                    > Jorg and group,
                                                    > I have a second hive cut out, I just need to make my bars and roof. But I didn't think it was a good idea to do a second one right away, so now I will get back to putting that one together. I have to say thanks to everyone for all the great information.I can't believe how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I am going back over each response and write down the suggestions then get started on them. We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back. But I think I will now. We have a meeting next Thursday night. Gosh, I sure appreciate all the ideas.
                                                    > Donna
                                                    >
                                                    > >________________________________

                                                  • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                      > We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar
                                                      hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back

                                                      There's usually at least one with an open mind - mayhap even one who's
                                                      been itching to try it him-/herself.

                                                      --
                                                      venlig hilsen / best regards

                                                      Peter H. Rankin Hansen
                                                      Stjærvej 15, Storring
                                                      DK-8464 Galten
                                                      Danmark

                                                      (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

                                                      Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.
                                                    • L. Carlson
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                        My local club is also very langstroth-centric... but i have found a few TBH/Warre curiosity seekers and I just go for the general knoweledge questions ( things that applies to all hives or I can adapt to my Warres)

                                                        there are some things that are universal to all hives weather/feeding/pest control etc.. how you handle may have to be altered a bit but you can get ideas...

                                                        From: P.H. Rankin Hansen <ping@...>
                                                        Subject: Re: [TopHive] Introduction
                                                        To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
                                                        Date: Friday, July 13, 2012, 2:42 PM

                                                        > We have a local beekeeping group, but they are very anti top bar
                                                        hives. I have my heart set on the TBH, so I haven't been going back

                                                        .

                                                      • Rachel
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                          There are members of my local bee guild that have voiced dismay that a
                                                          first-time beekeeper would have a top bar hive. Luckily we also have a
                                                          strong contingent of top bar and "all - natural" bee keepers. Put us all in
                                                          a room together and it's a more than lively discussion- because at the end
                                                          of the day we're all there for the bees!
                                                          Rachel

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jul 13, 2012
                                                            In a message dated 7/13/2012 12:44:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                            maureen.schoolcraftrussell@... writes
                                                            :

                                                            "Remember we are beekeepers not box keepers. "

                                                            Nicely put!!!!!!!!