CalKenyan Four

  • Leonard and Anita at AT&T BI
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2002
      Ping: Third try - if this got in previously, delete it

      >> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:31:27 -0500
      >> Thanks, I appreciate you including me, Does anyone have actuale drawing
      >> and dimentions of a hive?
      >>
      >> Thaks, Bill

      Greetings all:

      A week ago I moved my bees out to a garden club as they were inclined to
      sting my wife without provocation. They continued this behavior at the new
      site (I should have placed them in the center of the undeveloped space
      rather than near one garden) so I am moving them back. I am quite happy with
      population growth and honey production and do not wish to requeen at this
      time.

      I've been busy preparing an enclosed beeyard 14' x 16' in a corner of my
      back yard and moved my bees back last evening. There was some confusion
      today - about 200 bees around the old hive location as they had only been
      out a week, but they all eventually found their way home.

      Hive #4 design and construction will start this week as the bees are running
      out of room in my 38" long equalateral triangle interior (22 inch interior
      space on bar). This will be longer than usual while the published design
      will be the longest practical interior length consistant with material sizes
      (over 45 inches). (I have found that excess interior length is needed to
      give working space as the combs are inspected.) The CK4 will have a
      trapezoidal interior space. Materials will include two sheets of poly
      (optionally one black and one white), cardboard box material for insulation,
      1 by 12 pine board stock, and 2 by 4 redwood, cedar, or cyprus for legs,
      some 8 mesh screen and one styreen light diffuser. This new hive will
      incorporate all learned to date and will be the initial published hive with
      dimensions and step by step photos.

      We will probably want to also design a horizontal hive that uses standard
      frames. Perhaps Ping could lead this effort?

      Ping: What are the standard metric dimensions of corrugated polypropyline
      sheets approximately 4' by 8' (121.35 cm x 242.70 cm) - would this be 125 x
      250 or 100 x 200 or other?

      Steve: Can you furnish more info on your ventilated attic idea?

      Best wishes,

      Leonard
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2002
        At 18:51 19-03-02 -0800, Leonard and Anita at AT&T BI wrote:
        >We will probably want to also design a horizontal hive that uses standard
        >frames. Perhaps Ping could lead this effort?

        There was an excellent article in ABJ about this subject last year. I
        think it was called "the long hive".

        I have based my thoughts on that construction, while adapting it to the
        Danish climate and the arrival of the various mites, by using a detachable
        screened bottom with a slide-in bottom board and side walls built on a
        skeleton of 2 by 1½ with 1/4" ply on the outer side and 3.2 mm (1/8")
        oil-herdened masonit on the inside. The space between the outer and inner
        skins is filled with insulation - styropor being the easiest.

        I did want to using Langstroth, but the rest of my equipment is another
        frame size and pesticide-free foundation is next to impossible to come by
        in that size, so I will most likely use another frame size.

        >Ping: What are the standard metric dimensions of corrugated polypropyline
        >sheets approximately 4' by 8' (121.35 cm x 242.70 cm)

        The same, roughly 122 by 242 cm, although I never have seen corrugated
        polypropylene here

        Ping.

        best regards / venlig hilsen

        P.H. Rankin Hansen