Re: [TopHive] anybody here?

  • Leonard and/or Anitia Barton
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2003
      Hi Sasha:

      Can you make a picture portfolio for posting? If suitable, I'll post them on
      my site. Send to webspinner@....

      Leonard.

      on 1/8/04 1:12 PM, Sasha at mrkflux@... wrote:

      > Hello,
      > anyone ?
      > Sasha,from Serbia who has made 10 tbh and is waiting the next spring to
      > purchase the bees...
    • Jorge Murillo Yepes
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2003
        Hi, Sasha, Nice to hear from you!!!!! Would you tell us more about your TBH? And, where in Serbia do you live?
        I live in Grenada , in the Caribbean and utilize old fridges, air conditioning casings and old steel drums cut in half lengthwise to make my TBHs.
        Let's talk!!!!!
        Best regards,
        Jorge
        --

        http//:www.geocities.com/frogkailo

        this e-mail is sent from SuSe linux machine

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • zoodood71
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2003
          Hello Sasha,
          I am from USA. I only have one small TBH and three regular frame
          hives. This is my first year to keep bees. Mine didn't make enough
          honey this year to make it through the winter, so I will have to feed
          them and join some of them together. Anyway, I am eager to learn
          more about TBH since it seems more economical. What are the
          measurements of your TBH and what did you use to make them?

          Regards, Coyote
        • Jorge Murillo Yepes
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2003
            Dear Sasha,

            Many thanks for such a nice and prompt response!

            In a way the Caribbean is, as you call it, a "paradise" for bees, as it is considered everywhere else in the tropical world by people who, like you, live in temperate climates with four distinct seasons. But we have our share of problems regarding weather, as well, in the rainy season. But do not forget that Mother Nature in her wisdom created the most important melliferous bees in your neck of the woods, and not in the tropics!!! She must have had a good reason for that.

            What you describe in terms of your TBH seems to me rather similar to the Kenyan type, which works very well indeed although, as we humans finally seem to be getting to understand, factors such as shape, location, colour, materials, etc., are of no importance whatsoever to the bees themselves.

            The Varroa mite was detected in Grenada for the first time in 1994 and in the beginning it wrought havoc among both kept as well as wild bee colonies, especially insofar as the viruses vectored by the arthropod are concerned. After a few years, however, the surviving population seemed to have adjusted itself to it and the initial disastrous effects of the attack did not occur anymore, especially in hives living in the low, drier areas. We did some control utilizing organic essential oils with

            excellent results, but after fifth or sixth year no one bothers too much about Varroa anymore, eventhough it is present throughout the Island. No Africanized bees have entered Grenada up to now, but they do exist in some Islands of the region.

            For many years I was involved in commercial production of primary hive products, as well as in teaching beekeeping in Grenada and other Caribbean territories, but since about 15 years ago I decided to explore the possibilities offered by the addition of value to honey, wax, propolis and royal jelly and ended up trying to make a living producing several lines of beauty products (soaps, creams, lotions, shampoos, lip balms, massage creams, etc), ornamentals (candles) and medicinal products (for humans and animals). At the same time I started getting deeply involved in apitherapy and for the practice of which I have five hives. By providing technical assistance to several local beekeepers I get the primary products required for my cottage industry, without having to break my back too much.

            I am in the process of finalizing an Apitherapy Internet Course conducted by Dr. Stefan Stangaciu from Rumania, and have the honor to have as fellow student a Lady from Serbia, to whom I mentioned your arrival as a new member in the TBH chat group.

            And, Sasha, I did not think that you lived in Siberia at all. By the same token I hope that you do not think that I live in Spain!!!!

            Best personal regards,

            Jorge

            ----- Original Message ----- as you point out
            From: "Jorge Murillo Yepes" <murillos@...>
            Subject: Re: anybody here?

            Hi, Sasha, Nice to hear from you!!!!! Would you tell us more about your TBH?
            And, where in Serbia do you live?
            I live in Grenada , in the Caribbean and utilize old fridges, air conditioning
            casings and old steel drums cut in half lengthwise to make my TBHs.
            Let's talk!!!!!
            Best regards,
            Jorge

            Hi there on the sunny Caribbean seas,there is a heaven for bees i presume.
            Shortly my tbh are made from wood like ordinary langstrot hives but with
            appropriate dimensions for a tbh(according to the author of the "mother" of
            all tbh web sites James D. Satterfield site).I cant remember the exactly
            dimensions of my tbh since I have worked on them last winter and I am a
            little bad in remembering numbers,but the dimmensions are about 80cm x 40cm x
            25cm.
            I have jumped in the world of tbh because I like the idea,I have a bit of
            simplistic taste and was very excited with the idea.I am a very young
            beekeeper with very little practical experience with bees,and I also tend to
            think in line of organic beekeeping,if that is posible these days.That is a
            big problem here because of the varroa mite.Beekeepers here are slowly
            changing into anti insect chemical warfare experts.That is not compatible
            with my views.I guess you work with africanised honey bee?
            I like your approach with using old items for hives / hives are only cavities
            for bees/ bees can also survive without any hive especially in your region.
            How many hives do you have ,are you a pro or a hobbyst?

            I live in a small town Sombor,that is close to hungarian and croatian border
            about 20 km in each direction.I guess you didnt think i live in Siberia in
            Russia.It is Serbia like Kosovo,Bosnia etc.
            All I know about Grenada is that you have experienced something similar in
            terms of war.
            What do you think about tbh,are you satisfied with them?

            Sasha

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2003
              Greetings:

              See www.ccdemo.info and navigate from the home page. There is a link to
              Steve's Tanzanian page from here, that is a good example of a picture
              portfolio.

              Leonard.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2003
                I am resending this as the echo did not show my text - only the original
                messages from Jorge and Sasha. If this is redundant, please ignore it.

                Greetings Jorge, Sasha, Ping, Steve and others:

                Notes from California - Central inland coastal valley climate (Walnut Creek,
                50 km east of San Francisco). These are just some random notes about my
                experience but may offer hope for others who want to keep bees without
                chemicals and who are concerned about varroa. This month is the completion
                of my third year of beekeeping.

                About 10 years ago varroa arrived in our area. Swarm calls to our bee club
                dropped from three hundred a month during the spring to ten to twenty. Over
                the past three years swarm calls have greatly increased - now over a hundred
                per month. We think that this recovery of the feral population is due to
                natural selective breeding for varroa resistance.

                My bees are obtained from these wild swarms. As Africanized honey bees are
                approaching, this may not be possible in the next few years.

                To some extent it may be that the wild swarms are breeding with improved
                commercial bees, but there is not the kind of heavy comercial beekeeping as
                seen in agricultural areas to the east (California's great Central Valley) -
                our area is a mix of suburban residential and wildland open space reserves.

                I have been able to keep several colonies (I presently have four) without
                medications of any kind (including patties or oils). Nosema is endemic but
                my bees seem productive without controlling it. My first colony was a ferral
                Yugo/Italian mix. This was kept in a closed bottom hive (similar to
                Satterfield's) and suffered from varroa after about three month's residence.
                I observed an average of one varroa per drone brood - some none, some three
                or four - said to be a heavy infestation. Drone excision controled this
                sucessfully, combined with the development of the vent bottom 30 degree
                CalKenyan. These bees were not agressive when worked but would lurk in the
                vegetable plot and sting my wife in the early morning! Because of this I
                requeened the next year with a Russian queen, which ultimately proved
                unsucessful in our climate, as the hive gradually declined and she shut down
                laying in our late autumn and winter - the time of our second best honey
                flow. She finally absconded after the last inspection after reducing the
                colony to only two bar's worth. (I found out that this shut down is a
                "thrifty" characteristic of Russians as an adaptation to long and severe
                subarctic winters - completely unecessary in our mild climate.)

                I have not had to excise drone to control varroa this year - I attribute
                this to the improved wild stock and improved hives. There also seems to be
                far fewer drones produced than was the case in my first colony, even though
                one of my queens was captured from a swarm in my own yard from a colony that
                had been obtained from a patio speaker - this is at least her second
                swarming, yet she is very productive and her worker bees are quite gentle.
                The hive she left behind is also doing well, and unlike her Italian looking
                bees, these are all dark Yugoslavian types - probably because my neighbor
                (abut 100 meters away) keeps ten Langsroths of commercialy bred Yugos. I
                obtained 7 kilos of honey from three bars from this hive in August - this
                after a very poor spring due to cool wet weather.

                With these latest colonies and hives I do not see the crawling or deformed
                bees that were present with the first colony. (Crawling bees are suspected
                to be a symptom of tracheal mites - I would sometimes count two or three
                dozen.)

                *** New bar designs ***

                The latest bar designs have proven sucessful in limited test use. I will be
                using complete sets of each next spring for swarm introduction to see how
                they work in full use.

                The "simple bar", as suggested from reading the web, is for fabrication
                without power tools. It uses waxed string on simple wood slats. See
                "http://www.ccdemo.info/GardenBees/SimpleBar/SimpleBar.html".

                The "webless bar", my own invention, is very easy to make with simple power
                tools - it requires neither fabrication nor any difficult or dangerous power
                tool cuts. For a picture, this is similar to the bar on the left in the
                picture
                "http://www.ccdemo.info/GardenBees/CK5/04Blank&FinBarEnd320Wx240H.jpg", but
                the cuts are angled at 20 degrees to form a keystone profile (wide end down
                when in the hive) to make it even easier for the bees to hang.

                *** New hive design ***

                My latest hive design (a 30 degree vented Kenyan, similar to CK5) uses wood
                board construction in an attempt to use materials easily obtained
                commercialy in the U.S.A. The material cost for a complete hive body with
                legs and bars should be less than $35.00, plus whatever is spent on a roof.
                I will be publishing this in a few months.

                Best wishes for success to all.

                Leonard.

                on 1/9/04 11:52 PM, Sasha at mrkflux@... wrote:

                > Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:25:43 -0400
                > From: "Jorge Murillo Yepes" <murillos@...>
                > Subject: Re: anybody here?
                >
                > Hi, Sasha, Nice to hear from you!!!!! Would you tell us more about your TBH?
                > And, where in Serbia do you live?
                > I live in Grenada , in the Caribbean and utilize old fridges, air conditioning
                > casings and old steel drums cut in half lengthwise to make my TBHs.
                > Let's talk!!!!!
                > Best regards,
                > Jorge
                >

                > Hi there on the sunny Caribbean seas,there is a heaven for bees i presume.
                > Shortly my tbh are made from wood like ordinary langstrot hives but with
                > appropriate dimensions for a tbh(according to the author of the "mother" of
                > all tbh web sites James D. Satterfield site).I cant remember the exactly
                > dimensions of my tbh since I have worked on them last winter and I am a
                > little bad in remembering numbers,but the dimmensions are about 80cm x 40cm x
                > 25cm.
                > I have jumped in the world of tbh because I like the idea,I have a bit of
                > simplistic taste and was very excited with the idea.I am a very young
                > beekeeper with very little practical experience with bees,and I also tend to
                > think in line of organic beekeeping,if that is posible these days.That is a
                > big problem here because of the varroa mite.Beekeepers here are slowly
                > changing into anti insect chemical warfare experts.That is not compatible
                > with my views.I guess you work with africanised honey bee?
                > I like your approach with using old items for hives / hives are only cavities
                > for bees/ bees can also survive without any hive especially in your region.
                > How many hives do you have ,are you a pro or a hobbyst?
                >
                > I live in a small town Sombor,that is close to hungarian and croatian border
                > about 20 km in each direction.I guess you didnt think i live in Siberia in
                > Russia.It is Serbia like Kosovo,Bosnia etc.
                > All I know about Grenada is that you have experienced something similar in
                > terms of war.
                > What do you think about tbh,are you satisfied with them?
                >
                > Sasha
              • Jorge Murillo Yepes
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2003
                  It is redundant
> [...]

                  > think in line of organic beekeeping,if that is posible these days.That is a
                  > big problem here because of the varroa mite.Beekeepers here are slowly
                  > changing into anti insect chemical warfare experts.That is not compatible
                  > with my views.I guess you work with africanised honey bee?
                  > I like your approach with using old items for hives / hives are only cavities
                  > for bees/ bees can also survive without any hive especially in your region.
                  > How many hives do you have ,are you a pro or a hobbyst?
                  >
                  > I live in a small town Sombor,that is close to hungarian and croatian border
                  > about 20 km in each direction.I guess you didnt think i live in Siberia in
                  > Russia.It is Serbia like Kosovo,Bosnia etc.
                  > All I know about Grenada is that you have experienced something similar in
                  > terms of war.
                  > What do you think about tbh,are you satisfied with them?

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • William W Watkin III
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2003
                    Leonard,

                    In a recent posting you mentioned, "I observed an average of one varroa
                    per drone brood - some none, some three
                    or four - said to be a heavy infestation. Drone excision controled this
                    sucessfully ...."
                    What is this and what do you do? I plane to build a top bar hive this
                    winter and try it for the first time next spring ...
                    You mentioned that, "My latest hive design (a 30 degree vented Kenyan,
                    similar to CK5) uses wood
                    board construction in an attempt to use materials easily obtained
                    commercialy in the U.S.A. The material cost for a complete hive body with
                    legs and bars should be less than $35.00, plus whatever is spent on a
                    roof. I will be publishing this in a few months.'

                    I will be interested when it comes out.

                    Thanks,
                    Bill Watkin - Massachusetts
                  • Sasha

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
                          Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:36:37 -0000
                          From: "zoodood71" <zoodood@...>

                          Hello Sasha,
                          I am from USA. I only have one small TBH and three regular frame
                          hives. This is my first year to keep bees. Mine didn't make enough
                          honey this year to make it through the winter, so I will have to feed
                          them and join some of them together. Anyway, I am eager to learn
                          more about TBH since it seems more economical. What are the
                          measurements of your TBH and what did you use to make them?

                          Regards, Coyote

                          Hi, Coyote

                          I am also a begginer ,but I can tell you ,beware of the economy of tbh
                          ,because if you need honey for commercial reason I am afraid that tbh cant
                          compete with regular modern hive that reuses frames by extracting honey from
                          the comb.But on the other side tbh seems to be a wonder for a small non
                          commercial beekeeper.

                          Best,
                          Sasha