Re: Method for using Extractor on Comb honey?

  • newheritagefarms
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
      Thanks Scott.

      Interesting about the capillary action, exactly the opposite of what
      I'd have thought.

      When I look at pictures of the slurry - I have a hard time visualizing
      this honey straining out clear - I imagine it filled with bee's wax
      particles - not the case?

      Unfortunately, anytime I talk to Langstroth hive keepers, and they get
      me all confused about "how do you get the honey?" The first time - I
      honestly said ---- "Wellllll, I don't know, how do you normally get
      the honey..." It goes downhill from there as he/they explain how
      difficult getting my honey will be, etc., etc... And they have me half
      way convinced I should do a Langstroth, so I'd have suppers for the
      honey, and not brood mixed in, but then it was wait a minute - this is
      not what I want to do.

      We honestly don't need a lot of honey, no plans for production, just a
      natural hive, pollination, and honey for selves/family. So the one
      hive should be all we need. If we just get a bar or two - that would
      be a quart or two? Then on their second year, we could expect what?

      Thanks. Vickie
    • Barb & the Leaflets
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
        Scot, do you have any pics of your setup??? Barb

      • kgbenson@sc.rr.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          ---- Barb & the Leaflets <boujitsu@...> wrote:
          > Scot, do you have any pics of your setup??? Barb

          Yeah - c'mon inquiring mminds want to see the thing!

          Keith
        • Scot McPherson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
            Its nothing to see. Its like a big square sieve. That's it.

            Scot McPherson
            McPherson Family Farms
            Davenport, IA

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 23, 2007
              Scott, how do you make a slurry?
              When I crush, it's so stiff I can't stir it?
              I bent some 1/4" wire in a U shape, stick a bar of honey in &
              extract, it works, buts it's faster to crush/strain.

              Dave