TBH

  • P.H. Rankin Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2003
      I'll go first,

      My own TBH experience is very limited, as the only TBHs I've had my hands on,
      are mating nucs. We use small TBHs for mating queens. They are made of
      expanded polystyrene (EPS) and each have room for four small 5-inch bars. We
      about use 350 ml young bees for such a hive and they work very well.

      I had intended to build some normal size TBH's this vinter, but went into
      stress-management mode instead. I have two designs I want to try. One will be
      made with 25 mm (1 inch) sides, and one will be made with a sandwich of
      plywood and polystyrene sheets. Both designs will have open mesh bottoms with
      a slide-in board to close them for varroa treatment with formic acid and
      during the early spring when the hives get too damp otherwise.

      --
      Ping.

      venlig hilsen / best regards

      P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Mølletoften 45, Gaarslev
      DK-7080 Børkop
      (+45) 7586 1688
    • Jorge Murillo-Yepes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2003
        And I'll go second.
        I am a member of the Apimondia Standing Commission for Beekeeping for Rural Development and, as such have been promoting the concept of TBH for several years among my fellow beekeepers in LatinAmerica and the Caribbean.
        In order to try "kill two birds with the same stone" on occasions bee colonies have been installed utilizing old fridges, air conditioning unit casings, old metal drums, etc., recycling in this way solid waste material and promoting beekeeping in rural areas.
        I hope to be able contribute in some way to the success of this group in the not too distant future.
        Kind regards,
        Jorge
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • mo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
          Thanks for info! I can't wait to try. I have ordered some packages
          and will start a trial.
        • Paul Rowland
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2006
            Whom did you order from?