RE: [TopHive] Method for using Extractor on Comb honey?

  • Scot McPherson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
      Take a bar of honey or two if you want, but please make sure you leave
      plenty for the bees. They will need it when it is wet and cold in Washington
      state.

      Extractors are no less messy than other methods. It is the person and the
      planning that makes an operation messy or orderly. I crush and strain with
      excellent results. If you really want to use an extractor, you should
      reconsider using Langstroth hives with hoffman frames. Sweinty has designed
      an extractor that you can use, where you lay the comb down on its face
      instead of on end. However since you can only do a few at a time, might as
      well just uncap a comb, lay it down overnight to drain, and then flip the
      next day. If you can arrange a counter space that lets the honey drain into
      a bucket at the end, then you can just lay the comb on some screening and do
      many tens of combs at a time.

      I just crush and strain, I can extract ~ 500 lbs at a time using a sieve
      type setup I designed which is situated above a storage tank, and I just
      crush and crush (not squeeze, I make a slurry by breaking the comb up, not
      squashing it together) until the sieve is full then let it sit for 2 days.
      Honey although viscous has little surface tension, and so very little is
      retained through capillary effect. I throw the wax in a solar melter I made
      out of window frames and looks like a gardening cold frame used to protect
      plants during the winter.

      Scot McPherson
      McPherson Family Farms
      Davenport, IA

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
        Thanks Scott.

        Interesting about the capillary action, exactly the opposite of what
        I'd have thought.

        When I look at pictures of the slurry - I have a hard time visualizing
        this honey straining out clear - I imagine it filled with bee's wax
        particles - not the case?

        Unfortunately, anytime I talk to Langstroth hive keepers, and they get
        me all confused about "how do you get the honey?" The first time - I
        honestly said ---- "Wellllll, I don't know, how do you normally get
        the honey..." It goes downhill from there as he/they explain how
        difficult getting my honey will be, etc., etc... And they have me half
        way convinced I should do a Langstroth, so I'd have suppers for the
        honey, and not brood mixed in, but then it was wait a minute - this is
        not what I want to do.

        We honestly don't need a lot of honey, no plans for production, just a
        natural hive, pollination, and honey for selves/family. So the one
        hive should be all we need. If we just get a bar or two - that would
        be a quart or two? Then on their second year, we could expect what?

        Thanks. Vickie
      • Barb & the Leaflets
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          Scot, do you have any pics of your setup??? Barb

        • kgbenson@sc.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
            ---- Barb & the Leaflets <boujitsu@...> wrote:
            > Scot, do you have any pics of your setup??? Barb

            Yeah - c'mon inquiring mminds want to see the thing!

            Keith
          • Scot McPherson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
              Its nothing to see. Its like a big square sieve. That's it.

              Scot McPherson
              McPherson Family Farms
              Davenport, IA

              > Scot, do you have any pics of your setup??? Barb

              Yeah - c'mon inquiring mminds want to see the thing!

              Keith

              The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • David Croteau
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 23, 2007
                Scott, how do you make a slurry?
                When I crush, it's so stiff I can't stir it?
                I bent some 1/4" wire in a U shape, stick a bar of honey in &
                extract, it works, buts it's faster to crush/strain.

                Dave