Re: [TopHive] top bar holder design ideas?

  • girl mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
      I use a small picnic cooler for this at the moment . I also often use a
      Rubbermade type storage bin/tub sometimes, which helps if I"m removing
      honey comb and want a way to keep the 'set aside' combs and top bars
      from instigating robbing behavior- I can hang the top bars across the
      lip of the bin, and drape a cloth over the bin to keep other bees out.
      Of course the tub is what my beekeeping supplies are stored in the yard
      in between uses.

      There's a really great design at the Barefoot Beekeeper/How To Build A
      Top Bar Hive pdf that's a link to is here somewhere. They use a very
      stiff wire holder for the bars, and attach it to a plywood base that's
      hinged in such a way as to allow folding it up for transport or storage.
      Too difficult to explain in words but it's in the free plans they offer,
      and not just the book itself. I'm sure the author will chime in and tell
      us the link.

      A Lang beekeeper I met was using file folder rails for this, but they
      seem really flimsy to me. Then again that's what happens when
      non-tool-handy office workers (which I think she was) get into
      beekeeping- you use what's available.

      Mark

      bloomvillebee wrote:

      > Hi all, I am happy to have found this group!
      >
      > I am interested in knowing how you folks have build/designed topbar
      > holders for placing
      > topbars with comb temporarily outside the hive during inspections.

    • Gerry Pearlberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
        Great suggestions, and I will look for the barefoot beek resource you
        mentioned! Much appreciated.
        Gerry

        Gerry Gomez Pearlberg
        www.artisanalprose.com

      • permie_bird
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
          I have a metal milk crate that is just the right size to hold a top bar with comb. It's big
          enough I can get my hands in it to work the comb, if I need to guide it back on track.

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "bloomvillebee" <zychskyfarm@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, I am happy to have found this group!
          >
          > I am interested in knowing how you folks have build/designed topbar holders for
          placing
          > topbars with comb temporarily outside the hive during inspections.

        • stangardens
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
            wrote:

            > Hi all, I am happy to have found this group!
            >
            > I am interested in knowing how you folks have build/designed topbar
            holders for placing
            > topbars with comb temporarily outside the hive during inspections.

            i use an empty five frame nuc.
            stan in somerset
          • acornjean
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
              > I am interested in knowing how you folks have build/designed topbar holders for placing
              > topbars with comb temporarily outside the hive during inspections.

              I had my hives built so that the handles to move the hive also service as a rack to hold the
              comb outside of the hive. These are attached to the upper sides of the hive and stick out a
              foot or so from the back. I also stack a lang deep under a medium for moving extra long
              comb from the beeyard. I make my tbhs so that they will fit in frame length with a lang. This
              is useful to me because I use both styles.
              Jean