Top Bar Hive Removable Splattered Rack

  • David Croteau
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18 5:47 AM
      Or a removable bottom . Have been giving this some thought, a better
      way to clean the bottom would be able to remove it & wash it down with
      a hose.

      Any thoughts on this idea?

      Dave/ME
    • newheritagefarms
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18 7:27 AM
        What about making the removable bottom just like the false back wall?

        Add 3/4" to the height of the back and sides to compensate for the
        false bottom. Copy the original bottom, then trim sides of the bottom,
        the full length and at the same angle, it will mirror the bottom.

        The front piece would not need to be changed, same height front wall,
        matched up the the top edge of the now taller sides will make for
        double the bottom door space, allowing the false bottom to slide out.

        The only apparent change in design would be "steps" on both sides of
        the door way, with the false bottom having been trimmed away but the
        real bottom being the full width. Or - I suppose you could stop the
        shave of the false bottom - at the landing - it would make a T. It
        would also make a stop at the front edge of side walls - not that you
        need it - but making the landing 100% identical.

        I'm thinking you'd just have to hold with one hand, or devise some
        pins, that hold still the false back as you slowly slide the false
        bottom out.

        Maybe some beeswax on the matching surfaces would be a smooth idea!

        Whadda think?

        Vickie

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "David Croteau" <davidlcroteau@...> wrote:

        > Or a removable bottom . Have been giving this some thought, a better
        > way to clean the bottom would be able to remove it & wash it down with
        > a hose.
        >
        > Any thoughts on this idea?
        >
        > Dave/ME

      • David Croteau
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18 8:33 AM
          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "newheritagefarms"
          <newheritagefarms@...> wrote:

          > What about making the removable bottom just like the false back
          wall?

          Have something along those lines (pictures in album "Skowhegan ME"),
          but in the spring you may have an inch or so of chaff & when you pull
          out the false bottom the chaff stays inside. I think a bottom that
          you can unhook & remove all together would solve many problems ,
          getting hive tools, knives, broken combs, queen cages . dead bees and
          baggies out and also the health of the tbh by cleaning the bottom
          every spring.
          I want to design three ttbh/deeps to move my three LC's hives into
          next spring.
          I like the slatted rack idea & screened bottom to get rid of falling
          mites and other junk.
          For ventilation in summer only.
          A place for the excess bees to cluster under the brood nest to help
          prevent swarming.
          Have poly hives, 3 would make the hive 53 1/4" long, would like it
          that long in case I don't want to super it.
          http://68.142.29.112/bee's/lh/lh.htm How to build the bottom
          slatted rack.
          http://www.biobees.com/images/build_top_bar_hive/index.php?
          start=1e How to construct a top bar hive
          www.betterbee.com sells plastic disk entrance in six colors
          $2.50 ea when you buy 10. I would put the entrance half way up, the
          further from the ground the harder it is for skunks,
          All I have to do now is put all these thing together & build the
          hives.
          Dave/ME