Honey robbing from brood bars.

  • Leonard G. and/or Anita J Barton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2003
      Gretings All:

      I had to obtain a small amount of uncooked honey to mix into a paste of
      stored pollen, for alergy treatment for my grandchildren (ages 8 and 10). I
      think that the antibiotic properties of the honey will help reduce bacteria
      count in the stored pollen and this would be preferable to mixing it with
      the secondary (an somewhate cooked) honey obtained from wax leavings by
      melting, which was all that I had on hand.

      I did not want to disturb the regular back of the hive honey stores as I am
      waiting for the completion, filling, and capping of a complete bar so as
      not to waste the unfilled comb at the bottom.

      Observing that the brood comb had a three inch band of honey above the
      brood, and had extended to the end of the bars (the hive is 22.5 degree), I
      put the bar on end and excised a wedge from the comb. I quickly learned that
      this should not be done at the top end of the vertical bar as this can start
      a tear, but only at the bottom. (Fortunately I recognised the problem before
      a disaster occured.)

      This technique may not apply well to steeper angles such as those found in
      Tanzanian hives.

      Best wishes,

      Leonard.