water source for beehives

  • Laela
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
      I wanted to find out what is a reasonable distance for a water
      source for the hives.

      Our property had a seasonal creek that is already dried up just 50
      feet from the hives...the only other two year round sources now are
      a swimming pool 30 feet away and a year round large creek/watershed
      200+ yards away.

      Is the natural creek too far? If so I'll need to come up with a man
      made source of water for my bees as I the pool is not ideal
      naturally.

      Can anyone recommend a simple solution to do in your yard that
      prevents drowning?

      Finally I wanted to see about hive location--i've read a lot lately
      on forums that mention full sun as best--but would this be too much
      in a hot summer climate like Sonoma, CA (last summer we hit 118
      degrees over 2 weeks) and average 90-100 in the summer. Our winters
      are rainy and damp and then the bees would be in a moist / mildewy
      area for the winter...tough choices. Otherwise the location faces
      east, is out of the way for a small yard (1/2 acre) and out of the
      way of neighbors etc and in an orchard...

      thanks again for your advice,
      Laela
      Sonoma, CA
      Zone 9
    • frogkailo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
        I think your hives are nicely positioned. If you got a similar place
        that has a litlle shade during the hottest time of day that would be
        even better. Also I don't think you need watering source for them , I
        think they are just satisfied with the pool and creek. But if you need
        one, the simplest device is a ordinary cooking pot with a wheel of
        Styrofoam (I am not sure is it the proper name for it in English)
        where the "spokes" are cut out so bees have an easy access to water
        without drowning in it.

        Sasha

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Laela" <laelafrench@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to find out what is a reasonable distance for a water
        > source for the hives.
        >
        > Our property had a seasonal creek that is already dried up just 50
        > feet from the hives...the only other two year round sources now are
        > a swimming pool 30 feet away and a year round large creek/watershed
        > 200+ yards away.
        >
        > Is the natural creek too far? If so I'll need to come up with a man
        > made source of water for my bees as I the pool is not ideal
        > naturally.
        >
        > Can anyone recommend a simple solution to do in your yard that
        > prevents drowning?
        >
        > Finally I wanted to see about hive location--i've read a lot lately
        > on forums that mention full sun as best--but would this be too much
        > in a hot summer climate like Sonoma, CA (last summer we hit 118
        > degrees over 2 weeks) and average 90-100 in the summer. Our winters
        > are rainy and damp and then the bees would be in a moist / mildewy
        > area for the winter...tough choices. Otherwise the location faces
        > east, is out of the way for a small yard (1/2 acre) and out of the
        > way of neighbors etc and in an orchard...
        >
        > thanks again for your advice,
        > Laela
        > Sonoma, CA
        > Zone 9

      • girl mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
          I saw a good example where someone used a chicken waterer with pebbles
          in the dish part of the device, so the bees land on the pebbles and
          drink without drowning. Of course, you have to refill it regularly.

          Here's a link to a chicken waterer, $32 at Tractor Supply Company:

          http://snipurl.com/waterer

          They also come in a more stylish galvanized model at some suppliers.

          Mark

          frogkailo wrote:

          > I think your hives are nicely positioned. If you got a similar place
          > that has a litlle shade during the hottest time of day that would be
          > even better. Also I don't think you need watering source for them , I
          > think they are just satisfied with the pool and creek. But if you need
          > one, the simplest device is a ordinary cooking pot with a wheel of
          > Styrofoam (I am not sure is it the proper name for it in English)
          > where the "spokes" are cut out so bees have an easy access to water
          > without drowning in it.
          >
          > Sasha
          >
          > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TopHive%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Laela" <laelafrench@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I wanted to find out what is a reasonable distance for a water
          > > source for the hives.
          > >
          > > Our property had a seasonal creek that is already dried up just 50
          > > feet from the hives...the only other two year round sources now are
          > > a swimming pool 30 feet away and a year round large creek/watershed
          > > 200+ yards away.
          > >
          > > Is the natural creek too far? If so I'll need to come up with a man
          > > made source of water for my bees as I the pool is not ideal
          > > naturally.
          > >
          > > Can anyone recommend a simple solution to do in your yard that
          > > prevents drowning?
          > >
          > > Finally I wanted to see about hive location--i've read a lot lately
          > > on forums that mention full sun as best--but would this be too much
          > > in a hot summer climate like Sonoma, CA (last summer we hit 118
          > > degrees over 2 weeks) and average 90-100 in the summer. Our winters
          > > are rainy and damp and then the bees would be in a moist / mildewy
          > > area for the winter...tough choices. Otherwise the location faces
          > > east, is out of the way for a small yard (1/2 acre) and out of the
          > > way of neighbors etc and in an orchard...
          > >
          > > thanks again for your advice,
          > > Laela
          > > Sonoma, CA
          > > Zone 9

        • David Croteau
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
            My bees used the floating plant "Water Lettuce" to collect water last
            summer, they get about 6" in diameter, but you don't have to cover
            all the water, they'll just land on the plant. Would beats sticks
            don't you think?
            Dave
            ME