Re: [TopHive] new to the list

  • P.H. Rankin Hansen
    Message 1 of 36 , May 23, 2003
      On Fredag 23 maj 2003 04:53 grizzly bearnolds wrote:

      > We had a break last winter. Usually there is always something wrong. Seems
      > one never can win.

      We have had three very good vinters for the bees. Last year they were out in
      December and in January.

      > Bad bad stuff. Are you guys getting ahead any? What do you do to combat the
      > situation?

      Mite suppression. We use drone brood removal theoughout the year and formic
      acid vapours to kill the bastards. It usually works very well.
      I used oxalic acid too late in the season last year and, due to lack of time,
      did not do drone brood removal, so I've got no one but myself and the weather
      gods to blame.

      > Is there any hope in any of that? What is being done (over in Europe .. I
      > figure you are from Denmark)?

      Yes I am.

      We are actually doing OK. We are retting rid of those damned pesticides as the
      mites are getting resistant. Organic acids combined with drone brood removal
      and improved resistance to diseases is the way we have chosen. Using
      terramycin for bees is luckily illegal here.

      Varroa treatment with organic acids is one of the reasons I'm designing my
      TBH's with a slide-in bottom, the other being my preferred practice of
      closing the bottom when the thaw sets in.

      --
      Ping.

      venlig hilsen / best regards

      P.H. Rankin Hansen