re wild hive bars & forage

  • Jacqueline Freeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      Rich, I'm thinking about the frames you described with a wooden dowel on
      either side so you could wire the wild comb in. When you put the dowels
      on, what kind of wire do you like best?

      I can see how the dowels (with thumbtacks) could work well with thread.
      We could easily pull it out after. I'll have to try it on my next hive.
      This at least might have the combs better spaced than what I was doing.

      We spent yesterday planting plenty of mints about 20 yards from the hive
      so they'll have an ongoing flower patch all summer. Also have other bee
      friendly plants in, like borage which they and the native bees adore,
      and jerusalem artichokes which puts up 10 foot high sunflowers that last
      for months. Rosemary's already in bloom and apple/pear blossoms are
      about ready to flower here. Spring is easy.

      Anyone else got suggestions for what their bees are particularly fond
      of? We have acreage.

      warmly,
      Jacqueline
      Friendly Haven Rise Farm