Intro w/???

  • Barb & the Leaflets
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
      Barb and Pete here from New Orleans.

      We have friends in CA who told us about TBH and helped us build a couple when they were
      here visiting.

      Since Katrina, the bee population around here has plummeted. Our neighbor had to hand-
      pollinate his flowers last year. We have tons of stuff in bloom at our property right now:
      clover, dock, citrus, berries...and never see more than a handful of bees at any given time.

      We'd prefer to "trap" some native wild bees for our hives. They'd love it here. In addition to
      the citrus and clover, we're planting tons of veggies and bee-friendly flowers. Any
      suggestions for trapping?

      We thought about buying bees, but are concerned about colony collapsing disorder. Is the
      problem hitting TBH colonies??? Any recommendations for good suppliers? Are prices
      skyrocketing due to CCD and big commercial interests trying to reestablish hives?

      As you can tell, we're really just beginning the process for starting out. It's an important
      hobby, though, as New Orleans REALLY needs more bees!

      Thanks!
    • kgbenson@sc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
        From: Barb & the Leaflets <boujitsu@...>

        > We have friends in CA who told us about TBH and helped us build a
        > couple when they were
        > here visiting.

        Great you are ready for anything!

        > We'd prefer to "trap" some native wild bees for our hives.

        If there are few bees, there will likely be few swarms - but given your
        area, I would be shocked if there weren't some. There is a bunch of
        stuff on swarm trapping on the net. You can buy pheremone lures and
        put them in a variety of cavities to attact scouts (your hives being
        the logical choice). Some folks use lemongrass oil as it comtains the
        same substances as swarm lure (by and large)

        > We thought about buying bees, but are concerned about colony
        > collapsing disorder.

        Everyone is, but I don't think that this should stop you from buying.

        > Is the
        > problem hitting TBH colonies???

        I haven't heard tht it is, but the vast majority of TBH beekeepers have
        too few hives to give a decent enough sample to rule it out. Some
        folks on this list may ahve heard of some getting hit though.

        > Any recommendations for good
        > suppliers?

        Right now most places are sold out. It may be tough to fins bees. I
        think you are just going to ahve to start calling around. Scot has a
        friend (Myron, I think, whose contact info I do not have) that raises
        his bees without pesticides, if he had any left over, that would be a
        good source.

        Keith