Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

TBH Construction

Expand Messages
  • Michael Vanecek
    I have 1.38 lumber for the top-bars and no way to rip it at the moment. Will that still work? I ve seen some that use 1.5 top bars. I m going to glue and
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 1, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      I have 1.38" lumber for the top-bars and no way to rip it at the moment.
      Will that still work? I've seen some that use 1.5" top bars. I'm going
      to glue and nail chamfer strips to them for the comb guides. I'm still
      undecided as to how long to make the hive. I figure 30 of those top bars
      would make for 45" in length. Think that'll be sufficient? I plan to
      cover it with a 48" long plank of plywood.

      I have all the wood to make this:
      http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
      ...ready to be cut. His is too long for a 48" cover tho so I'm going to
      make it slightly shorter, methinks.

      Bee well,
      Mike

      --
      Zone 8, Texas
      http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
      http://www.mjv.com/ Home...
    • Jacqueline Freeman
      The thread we used to tie the cut comb onto the bars worked really well. It s been less than a week and all the comb is already firmly attached to the bars. I
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 5, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        The thread we used to tie the cut comb onto the bars worked really well.
        It's been less than a week and all the comb is already firmly attached
        to the bars.

        I gave a little tug to the thread on the second day and they'd already
        bitten through it on most of the bars where we used the lightweight
        thread. The embroidery thread took longer, about 4-5 days before that
        pulled free and all but one thread is out.

        I was able to leave the bars in place and gently pull the thread as it
        released and pull it all out on top without removing any bars. Amazing.

        I could also tell without even lifting the bars and disturbing the bees
        that everything was in place. I very gently started to lift each bar out
        and could feel that they had weight on them.

        It's a sunny day today and they're busy working. All is well in our
        little corner of bee world.

        By the way, the farmers who owned the building we got the bees from has
        a daughter who is a reporter. She mentioned it at the newspaper and they
        are right now writing up an article about this. I inserted some info
        about the bee problems and TBHs so hopefully this will be educational as
        well as interesting. I'll post the link if/when it goes to print.

        warmly,
        Jacqueline
        Friendly Haven Rise Farm
        www.FriendlyHaven.com
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.