RE: [TopHive] Top Bar Wax

  • Scot McPherson
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 31, 2007
      Beeswax on the guides is rather unnecessary actually. I used it once, and it
      made no difference. What is important is the guide is rather distinct. A
      sharp 90 Deg bevel (45 Deg + 45 Deg) or a popsicle stick like shim in a
      groove of the center of the bar.

      Scot McPherson
      McPherson Family Farms
      Davenport, IA

      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 5 5:05 PM
        The thread we used to tie the cut comb onto the bars worked really well.
        It's been less than a week and all the comb is already firmly attached
        to the bars.

        I gave a little tug to the thread on the second day and they'd already
        bitten through it on most of the bars where we used the lightweight
        thread. The embroidery thread took longer, about 4-5 days before that
        pulled free and all but one thread is out.

        I was able to leave the bars in place and gently pull the thread as it
        released and pull it all out on top without removing any bars. Amazing.

        I could also tell without even lifting the bars and disturbing the bees
        that everything was in place. I very gently started to lift each bar out
        and could feel that they had weight on them.

        It's a sunny day today and they're busy working. All is well in our
        little corner of bee world.

        By the way, the farmers who owned the building we got the bees from has
        a daughter who is a reporter. She mentioned it at the newspaper and they
        are right now writing up an article about this. I inserted some info
        about the bee problems and TBHs so hopefully this will be educational as
        well as interesting. I'll post the link if/when it goes to print.

        warmly,
        Jacqueline
        Friendly Haven Rise Farm
        www.FriendlyHaven.com