new member

  • Mary Zets
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm a new member to this group, and really, really new to bees...as in still in the planning stage. I just got allergy tested today, since I've had past reactions, and have been cleared to proceed, epipen in pocket!

      After months of research, I plan to try top-bar hives. I intend to build two hives and a couple swarm traps, and see if I can catch some before I resort to purchasing. My next door neighbor had a tree with a huge wild hive come down last year, and a friend with hives less than two miles from me lost several swarms last year, so I know they're out there!

      I welcome any and all advice, criticism and laughter. I hope I can learn from those of you on here.

      Meg in NC

    • Marty Hardison
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2007
        Hi Meg,
        Welcome to one of the most rewarding avocations on the planet. When
        you place a beehive you improve the environment for a mile in every
        direction. It is a very satifying feeling to know you are doing
        something positive for the environment. I encourage you to go to my
        website, The Appropriate Beehive, and read the chapter on starting a
        hive. It my help you as you begin. The website is listed first on
        TopHive links.

        Marty