Thanks for the hive designs

  • permie_bird
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2007
      This past Saturday, a few folks from my permaculture group and a local biodynamic group
      got together to make TBHs. We used the Hardison plans. There were 8 of us working on
      building hives, and we made 10 hives finishing about 10pm. Every household came home
      with 2 hives. All we have left to do is put on the front cleat and paint.

      Thanks for the hive links. It really made our hive workshop possible. The hives cost
      roughly $25 each to make.

      The woman who hosted the workshop on her farm has kept bees in langs, and had never
      heard of TBHs until last spring when I just briefly mentioned it. Late summer, she picked
      up the book "Toward Saving the Honeybee" by Gunther Hauk, but found there wasn't any
      TBH plans in it. She just one day announced this workshop hoping I or someone would
      come up with plans. It just sort of worked out, later on workshop day, I found my host has
      a knack for doing that.

      Now to get some bees. Actually I will probibly wait until March when there is more bee
      fodder out there.

      Moera
    • kgbenson@sc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2007
        > Now to get some bees. Actually I will probibly wait until March
        > when there is more bee
        > fodder out there.

        But order now - or there may not be any packages left. In fact, it
        might be hard to find some now.

        Keith
      • permie_bird
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2007
          The bee supply house in my area orders in March and April, I need to call them this week
          and get that going. I just don't want to put the bees in before March.

          Moera