Re: Looking for hive designs

  • Betsie
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
      Here are the two that I have been consulting:

      http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm (scroll down to
      the section that says "Modified Tanzanian Top Bar
      Hive")

      http://www.backyardhive.com/weblinks/Build_a_Topbar_Beehive/

      I'm interested to hear from those experienced with top
      bar hives how they feel the width of the box effects
      the bees... does the width matter (outside of being
      compatible with standard equipment)? what about for
      hive warmth?

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • permie_bird
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
        Thank you all for the links. I'd found some of the sites in earlier searches, but hadn't found
        the right page.

        My husband is the wood worker, so I needed to find plans that he would understand. Since
        we are doing this at a workshop, he cannot spend a lot of time messing with it. I found
        some plans he likes and we are going to start there. We are doing a simple KTBH style
        hive.

        I think eventually we'll make a Tanzanian style that can hold lang frames, but I've been
        trying to get this first hive made for 3 years and I just want it done. After he makes the
        first one, he will be much more likely to make more.

        This workshop just came up though my permaculture group last week, I'd just been
        getting ready to write off bees for this year, again. So I am scrambling to get ready for it.

        Thank you!

        Moera

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Betsie <beatrixspinster@...> wrote:

        > Here are the two that I have been consulting:
        >
        > http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm (scroll down to
        > the section that says "Modified Tanzanian Top Bar
        > Hive")
        >
        > http://www.backyardhive.com/weblinks/Build_a_Topbar_Beehive/
        >
        > I'm interested to hear from those experienced with top
        > bar hives how they feel the width of the box effects
        > the bees... does the width matter (outside of being
        > compatible with standard equipment)? what about for
        > hive warmth?

        > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

      • Bob Benson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
          http://home.comcast.net/~topbarbeehives/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
          Try photo #3 & #18 for additional design plans design plans
          Denise Benson

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
            Thank you so much. I've been looking all over for Marty Hardison's TBH plans. Now I have
            3 sets of good detailed plans to choose from.

            I'm getting so excited about having bees.

            Is there anyone on this group in the greater Portland Oregon area doing TBHs? I'd love to
            know someone who has been doing it a while locally.

            Thanks again,

            Moera