Looking for hive designs

  • permie_bird
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hello,

      I've been on this list for a while, lurking and learning. I now have an opportunity to finally
      get a top bar hive made this year.

      A woman from my permaculture guild is having a top bar hive workshop, Feburuary 10th,
      in SW Washington, near Portland Oregon. If there are any TBH beekeepers or any folks in
      the greater Portland/Vancover area who would like to join us for building TBHs please
      email me off list, and I can give you the details.

      I am looking for hive designs.

      To that end the top link on the front page of this group the Marty Hardison's and Les
      Crowders's NM site seems to be dead. I remember some pretty spiffy plans there I wanted
      to try. Is there a new link for that site?

      Also Scot's BeeWiki site seems to be not working either. I get one line of obscure code
      instead of bee info.

      I am looking for simpler hive designs, if there are there any new sites or moved sites that
      would help me, please let me know.

      Thank you,

      Moera
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
        Pop up a google window and enter:

        "top bar hive" OR "topbar hive" OR topbarhive

        the OR's must be uppercase. This will locate a multitude of sites
        describing TBH's, including those you want.

        Ping

        permie_bird wrote:
        > I am looking for simpler hive designs, if there are there any new sites or moved sites that
        > would help me, please let me know.

      • Bob Benson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
          Try Michael Bush's site at http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
          beesouce.com has plans at http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/
          or http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebeekeeper23/TBH.htm

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
            If I had to do it all over again and didn't have a local community of
            TBH'ers who swap hive parts and brood combs at times, I"d suggest doing
            a combination long hive- a TBH that uses regular, rectangular medium
            Lang frame dimensions, so you can swap in Langstroth parts if desired.

            Mark

            Bob Benson wrote:

            > Try Michael Bush's site at http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
            > <http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm>
            > beesouce.com has plans at http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/
            > <http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/>
            > or http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebeekeeper23/TBH.htm
            > <http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebeekeeper23/TBH.htm>

          • P.H. Rankin Hansen
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
              I'll second that. Gives quite a bit more versatility. This is in fact
              how I am designing my new TBH's. I hope to be trying out both a KTBH
              that can be supered with Lang boxes, as well as a Tanz that can use Lang
              frames if need should arise.

              Ping.

              girl mark wrote:
              > I"d suggest doing a combination long hive- a TBH that uses regular, rectangular medium
              > Lang frame dimensions, so you can swap in Langstroth parts if desired.

            • Betsie
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
                Here are the two that I have been consulting:

                http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm (scroll down to
                the section that says "Modified Tanzanian Top Bar
                Hive")

                http://www.backyardhive.com/weblinks/Build_a_Topbar_Beehive/

                I'm interested to hear from those experienced with top
                bar hives how they feel the width of the box effects
                the bees... does the width matter (outside of being
                compatible with standard equipment)? what about for
                hive warmth?

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              • permie_bird
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Thank you all for the links. I'd found some of the sites in earlier searches, but hadn't found
                  the right page.

                  My husband is the wood worker, so I needed to find plans that he would understand. Since
                  we are doing this at a workshop, he cannot spend a lot of time messing with it. I found
                  some plans he likes and we are going to start there. We are doing a simple KTBH style
                  hive.

                  I think eventually we'll make a Tanzanian style that can hold lang frames, but I've been
                  trying to get this first hive made for 3 years and I just want it done. After he makes the
                  first one, he will be much more likely to make more.

                  This workshop just came up though my permaculture group last week, I'd just been
                  getting ready to write off bees for this year, again. So I am scrambling to get ready for it.

                  Thank you!

                  Moera

                  --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Betsie <beatrixspinster@...> wrote:

                  > Here are the two that I have been consulting:
                  >
                  > http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/main.htm (scroll down to
                  > the section that says "Modified Tanzanian Top Bar
                  > Hive")
                  >
                  > http://www.backyardhive.com/weblinks/Build_a_Topbar_Beehive/
                  >
                  > I'm interested to hear from those experienced with top
                  > bar hives how they feel the width of the box effects
                  > the bees... does the width matter (outside of being
                  > compatible with standard equipment)? what about for
                  > hive warmth?

                  > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                • Bob Benson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
                    http://home.comcast.net/~topbarbeehives/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
                    Try photo #3 & #18 for additional design plans design plans
                    Denise Benson

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Thank you so much. I've been looking all over for Marty Hardison's TBH plans. Now I have
                      3 sets of good detailed plans to choose from.

                      I'm getting so excited about having bees.

                      Is there anyone on this group in the greater Portland Oregon area doing TBHs? I'd love to
                      know someone who has been doing it a while locally.

                      Thanks again,

                      Moera