Re: [TopHive] new to the list

  • grizzly bearnolds
    Message 1 of 36 , May 20, 2003
      >From: "P.H. Rankin Hansen" <ping@...>
      >Date: Tue, 20 May 2003
      >Subject: Re: [TopHive] new to the list
      >
      >I'd think he'd have problems with condensation and the bees gnashing the
      >foam. We use styrofoam hives in europe, but they are high-density foam.

      The guy in Alaska is using a special type of styrofoam, has his own
      solutions for the condensation, and also does something so as to avoid that
      the bees nibble on that stuff.

      There is another guy from Alaska, also on that list, who has been using the
      commercially produced styrofoam boxes, and he reports good stuff using them.

      I would love to try them too, but don't have the money to switch. Instead I
      had decided to switch to small cell foundation and spent my money on that
      one. And for winter, I am packaging the wooden boxes within styrofoam
      sheets. Last winter that helped a lot, so I thought.

      I have no experience with top bar hives.

      Ma. ~ North Pacific Coast British Columbia CANADA
      Photos: http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestListAlbums.asp
      User Name: Ma. Grizzly ~~~~ Password: northcanyon
    • harmony@the-wire.com
      Message 36 of 36 , May 25, 2003
        Thanks Ping, will do.
        Dale