Bees Needed

  • johnstarnes3212
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi folks

      Well here in Tampa we are getting to go into the very floriferous
      winter season when a vast number of flowers and trees and shrubs
      blooms, but I still have no bees for my Tanzanian Top Bar Hive I built
      last spring. Since I have been wanting a hive since 1963, I am getting
      antsy to say the least! I've Googled, run ads in Craigs List...nada.
      Does anyone know of folks in Florida with a Top Bar hive I could get
      starter bees from? I spoke moments ago to a beekeeper with nearly 130
      conventional hives, had never heard of a top bar hive, says it won't
      work, won't sell me a frame of brood comb and bees. He says he MIGHT
      consider selling me a frame in March....I do not want to wait. HELP!!!
    • Scot Mc Pherson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2006
        You don't want to start bees now, not even in florida, that's why he
        said it won't work. I used to keep bees in florida. You really want to
        start hives in march. If you get on the Fire Dept, Police Dept, County
        Ag. Extension, Animal Control lists you can usually get bees for free
        when there are swarms that are found, the beekeepers on these lists are
        called to come and collect them.

        Don't buy frames, buy a package or bring your hive and ask him to shake
        bees into it and buy a queen from him. And wait until march.

        --
        Scot McPherson
        The McPherson Family Honey Farms

        . ` , ` '
        .,';`,. ``. '.
        _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
        /_____\ .:.,"'`
        /\_____/\ .,:`'"
        \###/.,';`

        Well here in Tampa we are getting to go into the very floriferous
        winter season when a vast number of flowers and trees and shrubs
        blooms, but I still have no bees for my Tanzanian Top Bar Hive I built
        last spring. Since I have been wanting a hive since 1963, I am getting
        antsy to say the least! I've Googled, run ads in Craigs List...nada.
        Does anyone know of folks in Florida with a Top Bar hive I could get
        starter bees from? I spoke moments ago to a beekeeper with nearly 130
        conventional hives, had never heard of a top bar hive, says it won't
        work, won't sell me a frame of brood comb and bees. He says he MIGHT
        consider selling me a frame in March....I do not want to wait. HELP!!!

        The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John Starnes Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2006
          Thanks! John

          "The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim". Gustave Le Bon;"The Crowd"
          You don't want to start bees now, not even in florida, that's why he
          said it won't work. I used to keep bees in florida. You really want to
          start hives in march. If you get on the Fire Dept, Police Dept, County
          Ag. Extension, Animal Control lists you can usually get bees for free
          when there are swarms that are found, the beekeepers on these lists are
          called to come and collect them.

          Don't buy frames, buy a package or bring your hive and ask him to shake
          bees into it and buy a queen from him. And wait until march.

          --
          Scot McPherson
          The McPherson Family Honey Farms
          Davenport, Iowa USA