RE: [TopHive] two top bar hive boxes for sale

  • Scot Mc Pherson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
      Can I ask why are you selling them? Getting out of beekeeping or just
      sticking with langs?

      --
      Scot McPherson
      The McPherson Family Honey Farms

      . ` , ` '
      .,';`,. ``. '.
      _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
      /_____\ .:.,"'`
      /\_____/\ .,:`'"
      \###/.,';`

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        it seems that in the coastal area that i live in, the langs are
        better for the bees. no one i know
        has had much success with top bars in this area so i am going to
        switch to langs.
        there are two local beekeepers who sell the equipment and offer
        support so i feel that is the way to go.

        thanks,
        cynthia

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
          Have you tried putting bees in the TBHs yet? I have used TBHs on the
          coast, and they worked great.

        • port128
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
            Hi Cynthia,

            > it seems that in the coastal area that i live in, the langs are
            > better for the bees.

            There is absolutely no objective criteria in that statement.

            Bees are highly adaptive and capable of living in almost any space
            anywhere.

            Beekeepers OTOH, are not necessarily adaptive, tend to spout learnedly
            about what they know, and all too often deride that which they have
            not tried.

            > ............i am going to
            > switch to langs.
            > there are two local beekeepers who sell the equipment and offer
            > support so i feel that is the way to go.

            It bothers me that you trust "beekeepers who sell the equipment". When
            you go to buy a car do you believe what the Buick dealer tells you
            about Toyotas? Never trust a seller is your best starting point for
            any purchase.

            Point Reyes is not that far from Napa, which has an active TBH group
            (email acornjean <jwheel@...>)

            Lang beekeeping involves lots of heavy lifting, which is an
            insurmountable barrier for some men and many women. My wife could
            never keep bees in stacked Langs.

            If your TBHs are rectangular and can take Lang frames then you can
            practice Lang-keeping without the strain of lifting boxes. For a
            beginner, working bees with frames is easier than top bars.

            TBHs can be a pain starting from scratch because bees do not have the
            same interest in drawing straight combs that you do. If you cannot use
            frames because your TBHs have sloped sides, you could buy some plastic
            foundation (fully drawn Permacomb or HSC would be best) and cut the
            frames to fit. Alternate them with top bars and the bees will tend to
            draw wax along the bar. Don't worry if the bees ignore the plastic
            foundation and don't use it, what you want the plastic comb for is a
            guide to get straight top bars.

            - www.beesource.com/bee-l/bulletinboard/seets/permacomb.htm
            - www.honeysupercell.com

            You don't want to start beekeeping heading into winter. Bone up on
            bees over winter in books and on the web so you can be prepared in spring.

            Going with the local guys may be the best decision if you need/want
            lots of mentoring, but what's the worst that can happen if you give
            TBH beekeeping a go since you already have the hives?

            JP
          • Matthew McCarrell
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2006
              Beekeeprs can be a stuborn and arogant bunch. Especially the older
              set in their ways ones. I have both langs and topbars and love them
              both. The langs are rough on the back. The TBHs take more of my time.
              Both work well and I wish you the best of luck with your Langs. Don't
              let them get to you. You'll do fine, and good luck!

              Matt McCarrell
              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Loebig <cynloe@...> wrote:

              > thanks for your interest, seems to be a heated issue with very
              > opinionated
              > people on both sides, i don't mean you. you wouldn't believe one
              of
              > the letters i received - tore my letter
              > apart sentence by sentence in a very vitriolic way-so silly.
              >
              > i am happy with my decision and hope that someone can really use
              by
              > two boxes, that's all.
              >
              > cynthia
              >
              > On Oct 11, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:
              >
              > > Have you tried putting bees in the TBHs yet? I have used TBHs on
              the
              > > coast, and they worked great.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Scot McPherson
              > > The McPherson Family Honey Farms
              > > Davenport, Iowa USA
              > > http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
              > >
              > > . ` , ` '
              > > .,';`,. ``. '.
              > > _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
              > > /_____\ .:.,"'`
              > > /\_____/\ .,:`'"
              > > \###/.,';`

            • Carolyn Chaney
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
                For great mentoring in the Pt. Reyes area, contact the Permaculture
                Institute. They have both Top-bar and Lang hives. And they sponsor
                an annual class with K Ruby, a top-bar expert. The contact e-mail
                is: bees@...

                Carolyn Chaney
                cchaney@...

                On Oct 12, 2006, at 6:55 AM, port128 wrote:

                > Hi Cynthia,
                >
                > > it seems that in the coastal area that i live in, the langs are
                > > better for the bees.
                >
                > There is absolutely no objective criteria in that statement.
                >
                > Bees are highly adaptive and capable of living in almost any space
                > anywhere.
                >
                > Beekeepers OTOH, are not necessarily adaptive, tend to spout learnedly
                > about what they know, and all too often deride that which they have
                > not tried.
                >
                > > ............i am going to
                > > switch to langs.
                > > there are two local beekeepers who sell the equipment and offer
                > > support so i feel that is the way to go.
                >
                > It bothers me that you trust "beekeepers who sell the equipment". When
                > you go to buy a car do you believe what the Buick dealer tells you
                > about Toyotas? Never trust a seller is your best starting point for
                > any purchase.
                >
                > Point Reyes is not that far from Napa, which has an active TBH group
                > (email acornjean <jwheel@...>)
                >
                > Lang beekeeping involves lots of heavy lifting, which is an
                > insurmountable barrier for some men and many women. My wife could
                > never keep bees in stacked Langs.
                >
                > If your TBHs are rectangular and can take Lang frames then you can
                > practice Lang-keeping without the strain of lifting boxes. For a
                > beginner, working bees with frames is easier than top bars.
                >
                > TBHs can be a pain starting from scratch because bees do not have the
                > same interest in drawing straight combs that you do. If you cannot use
                > frames because your TBHs have sloped sides, you could buy some plastic
                > foundation (fully drawn Permacomb or HSC would be best) and cut the
                > frames to fit. Alternate them with top bars and the bees will tend to
                > draw wax along the bar. Don't worry if the bees ignore the plastic
                > foundation and don't use it, what you want the plastic comb for is a
                > guide to get straight top bars.
                >
                > - www.beesource.com/bee-l/bulletinboard/seets/permacomb.htm
                > - www.honeysupercell.com
                >
                > You don't want to start beekeeping heading into winter. Bone up on
                > bees over winter in books and on the web so you can be prepared in
                > spring.
                >
                > Going with the local guys may be the best decision if you need/want
                > lots of mentoring, but what's the worst that can happen if you give
                > TBH beekeeping a go since you already have the hives?
                >
                > JP

              • girl mark
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 22, 2006
                  You know, I've been thinking that that is probably why people told you
                  that TBH's aren't working well in your area- I know that there are a LOT
                  of beginners in your area due to there being regular workshops, and
                  people are probably blaming those beginner's failures on the hive design
                  instead (not to mention that there was a really bad winter last year,
                  and it was a lot of the beginners' first winter if I understand the
                  history of those classes right). The classes are supposed to be really
                  good, don't give up..

                  Mark