RE: [TopHive] Re: howdy from Tampa

  • Scot Mc Pherson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
      He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
      dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then you
      can just put the frames they have in there.

      However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
      Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

      You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them out
      of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
      successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
      built to your equipment specs would work best.

      --
      Scot McPherson
      The McPherson Family Honey Farms

      . ` , ` '
      .,';`,. ``. '.
      _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
      /_____\ .:.,"'`
      /\_____/\ .,:`'"
      \###/.,';`

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
        Thanks much. I had asked one if I could simply cut out a section of his brood comb and wire it to my front frame to let them hatch out then make a queen after I had Googled that, but he left for the summer and the other rented out all 120 of his hives to an orange grove. The only feral swarm I'd heard of was 20 feet up a tree. Bummer to have built this 5 months ago and still have no bees after wanting a hive for 42 years! John

        He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
        dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then you
        can just put the frames they have in there.

        However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
        Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

        You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them out
        of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
        successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
        built to your equipment specs would work best.

        --
        Scot McPherson
        The McPherson Family Honey Farms
        Davenport, Iowa USA
        http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/>

        . ` , ` '
        .,';`,. ``. '.
        _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
        /_____\ .:.,"'`
        /\_____/\ .,:`'"
        \###/.,';`

        -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com><mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com>>, "John
        Starnes Jr." <johnastarnes@...>

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive>

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
          Get a ladder...well no, don't do that on your first try....

          Once you have catch a swarm or two, then do the more advanced removals
          such as those requiring ladders. If you aren't ready for it, you can get
          hurt.

          You'll have to wait until spring anyway...You CAN get bees now since you
          are in florida, but you'll be better off waiting until February or
          better yet March where you are so they have the Alsike Clover, Spanish
          Needle and Sable Palm flows which are the most important for building up
          in your area.

          I used to keep bees in Sarasota and Manatee counties. I called the
          fellow who bought my bees from me when I moved I thought he could help
          you, but he lost all the hives from mismanagement, splitting too much
          and leaving too much empty comb in the hives and Small Hive Beetles took
          over.

[...]

          m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/>
          mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...>

          . ` , ` '
          .,';`,. ``. '.
          _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
          /_____\ .:.,"'`
          /\_____/\ .,:`'"
          \###/.,';`

          wrote:

          > Hey folks
          >
          > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
          garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
          Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
          on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
          nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
          don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
          standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
          would be great.

          > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
          will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

          > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

          The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

          ive>

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
            Thanks Scott for all the help....yes my paranoia of heights (but not bees) would make getting a swarm 20 feet up interesting indeed! John

            He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
            dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
            you
            can just put the frames they have in there.

            However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
            Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

            You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
            out
            of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
            successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
            built to your equipment specs would work best.

            --
            Scot McPherson
            The McPherson Family Honey Farms
            Davenport, Iowa USA

            http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/>

            m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/>
            mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...><mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...>>

            . ` , ` '
            .,';`,. ``. '.
            _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
            /_____\ .:.,"'`
            /\_____/\ .,:`'"
            \###/.,';`

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
              There is a fellow in Manatee county. His name is Jack and is an
              ex-president of the Tampa Bay Beekeepers Association I think. He's a
              nice guy and has a 4,000 hive operation (last I knew). If you can find
              him. I have his phone number, but I need to call him first and make sure
              its ok to give it to you.

              --
              Scot McPherson
              The McPherson Family Honey Farms
              Davenport, Iowa USA
              http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

              . ` , ` '
              .,';`,. ``. '.
              _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
              /_____\ .:.,"'`
              /\_____/\ .,:`'"
              \###/.,';`

              Thanks Scott for all the help....yes my paranoia of heights (but not
              bees) would make getting a swarm 20 feet up interesting indeed! John

              He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
              dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
              you
              can just put the frames they have in there.

              However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
              Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

              You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
              out
              of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
              successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
              built to your equipment specs would work best.

              --
              Scot McPherson
              The McPherson Family Honey Farms
              Davenport, Iowa USA

              http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/
              ><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.o
              rg/>

              m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/><http://groups.yahoo.co<http://groups.yahoo.
              co/>

              Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:05 AM

              wrote:

              > Hey folks
              >
              > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
              garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
              Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
              on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
              nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
              don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
              standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
              would be great.

              > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
              will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

              > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

              The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

              pH>
              ive>

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                Wow Scot thanks! John

                Thanks Scott for all the help....yes my paranoia of heights (but not
                bees) would make getting a swarm 20 feet up interesting indeed! John

                He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
                dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
                you
                can just put the frames they have in there.

                However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
                Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

                You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
                out
                of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
                successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
                built to your equipment specs would work best.

                --
                Scot McPherson
                The McPherson Family Honey Farms
                Davenport, Iowa USA

                http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/>
                ><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.o<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.o/>
                rg/>

                m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/><http://groups.yahoo.co<http://groups.yahoo.co/><http://groups.yahoo.<http://groups.yahoo./>
                co/>
                m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/>

                mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...><mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...>><mailto:

                Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:05 AM

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                  His phone number is no good anymore. He should be listed though. Try and
                  give him a call.

> [...]

                  . ` , ` '
                  .,';`,. ``. '.
                  _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
                  /_____\ .:.,"'`
                  /\_____/\ .,:`'"
                  \###/.,';`

                  He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
                  dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
                  you
                  can just put the frames they have in there.

                  However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
                  Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

                  You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
                  out
                  of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
                  successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
                  built to your equipment specs would work best.

                  />

                  Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:05 AM