Re: howdy from Tampa

  • stangardens
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
      if you build another tanzanian hive using lang dimensions you can
      get bees from the beeks you know and then use the hive you have for
      any swarms you come across.
      stan in somerset
      -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "John Starnes Jr." <johnastarnes@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey folks
      >
      > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
      garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
      Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
      on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
      nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
      don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
      standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
      would be great.

      > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
      will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

      > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

    • John Starnes Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
        Thanks but these beekeepers tell me their brood frames won't fit in my hive...neither had ever heard of top bar hives. John

        -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com>, "John Starnes Jr." <johnastarnes@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey folks
        >
        > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
        garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
        Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
        on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
        nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
        don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
        standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
        would be great.

        > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
        will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

        > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

      • Scot Mc Pherson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
          He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
          dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then you
          can just put the frames they have in there.

          However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
          Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

          You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them out
          of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
          successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
          built to your equipment specs would work best.

          --
          Scot McPherson
          The McPherson Family Honey Farms

          . ` , ` '
          .,';`,. ``. '.
          _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
          /_____\ .:.,"'`
          /\_____/\ .,:`'"
          \###/.,';`

          wrote:

          > Hey folks
          >
          > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
          garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
          Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
          on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
          nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
          don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
          standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
          would be great.

          > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
          will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

          > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

          The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

          roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • John Starnes Jr.
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
            Thanks much. I had asked one if I could simply cut out a section of his brood comb and wire it to my front frame to let them hatch out then make a queen after I had Googled that, but he left for the summer and the other rented out all 120 of his hives to an orange grove. The only feral swarm I'd heard of was 20 feet up a tree. Bummer to have built this 5 months ago and still have no bees after wanting a hive for 42 years! John

            He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
            dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then you
            can just put the frames they have in there.

            However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
            Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

            You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them out
            of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
            successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
            built to your equipment specs would work best.

            --
            Scot McPherson
            The McPherson Family Honey Farms
            Davenport, Iowa USA
            http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/>

            . ` , ` '
            .,';`,. ``. '.
            _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
            /_____\ .:.,"'`
            /\_____/\ .,:`'"
            \###/.,';`

            -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com><mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TopHive@yahoogroups.com>>, "John
            Starnes Jr." <johnastarnes@...>

            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive>

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
              Get a ladder...well no, don't do that on your first try....

              Once you have catch a swarm or two, then do the more advanced removals
              such as those requiring ladders. If you aren't ready for it, you can get
              hurt.

              You'll have to wait until spring anyway...You CAN get bees now since you
              are in florida, but you'll be better off waiting until February or
              better yet March where you are so they have the Alsike Clover, Spanish
              Needle and Sable Palm flows which are the most important for building up
              in your area.

              I used to keep bees in Sarasota and Manatee counties. I called the
              fellow who bought my bees from me when I moved I thought he could help
              you, but he lost all the hives from mismanagement, splitting too much
              and leaving too much empty comb in the hives and Small Hive Beetles took
              over.

[...]

              m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/>
              mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...>

              . ` , ` '
              .,';`,. ``. '.
              _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
              /_____\ .:.,"'`
              /\_____/\ .,:`'"
              \###/.,';`

              wrote:

              > Hey folks
              >
              > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
              garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
              Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
              on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
              nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
              don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
              standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
              would be great.

              > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
              will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

              > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

              The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

              ive>

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                Thanks Scott for all the help....yes my paranoia of heights (but not bees) would make getting a swarm 20 feet up interesting indeed! John

                He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
                dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
                you
                can just put the frames they have in there.

                However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
                Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

                You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
                out
                of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
                successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
                built to your equipment specs would work best.

                --
                Scot McPherson
                The McPherson Family Honey Farms
                Davenport, Iowa USA

                http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/>

                m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/>
                mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...><mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...>>

                . ` , ` '
                .,';`,. ``. '.
                _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
                /_____\ .:.,"'`
                /\_____/\ .,:`'"
                \###/.,';`

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                  There is a fellow in Manatee county. His name is Jack and is an
                  ex-president of the Tampa Bay Beekeepers Association I think. He's a
                  nice guy and has a 4,000 hive operation (last I knew). If you can find
                  him. I have his phone number, but I need to call him first and make sure
                  its ok to give it to you.

                  --
                  Scot McPherson
                  The McPherson Family Honey Farms
                  Davenport, Iowa USA
                  http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

                  . ` , ` '
                  .,';`,. ``. '.
                  _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
                  /_____\ .:.,"'`
                  /\_____/\ .,:`'"
                  \###/.,';`

                  Thanks Scott for all the help....yes my paranoia of heights (but not
                  bees) would make getting a swarm 20 feet up interesting indeed! John

                  He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
                  dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
                  you
                  can just put the frames they have in there.

                  However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
                  Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

                  You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
                  out
                  of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
                  successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
                  built to your equipment specs would work best.

                  --
                  Scot McPherson
                  The McPherson Family Honey Farms
                  Davenport, Iowa USA

                  http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/
                  ><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.o
                  rg/>

                  m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/><http://groups.yahoo.co<http://groups.yahoo.
                  co/>

                  Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:05 AM

                  wrote:

                  > Hey folks
                  >
                  > John here in Tampa....self sufficiency gardener, rose breeder,
                  garden writer...53 YO.....have wanted a hive since I was 10 in
                  Michigan and met an elderly beekeeper. Earlier this year I stumbled
                  on Top Bar Hives will Googling how to build a bee hive...have made a
                  nice sturdy Tanzania Top Bar Hive using dumpster-dived materials but
                  don't know how to get starter bees. The two beekeepers I know have
                  standard hives so their brood combs won't fit....any suggestions
                  would be great.

                  > Along with honey and wax, I hope having 3 Top Bar hives someday
                  will also do wonders to boost the pollination of my many food crops.

                  > Thanks for welcoming me in so soon after applying for membership!

                  The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

                  pH>
                  ive>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Wow Scot thanks! John

                    Thanks Scott for all the help....yes my paranoia of heights (but not
                    bees) would make getting a swarm 20 feet up interesting indeed! John

                    He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
                    dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
                    you
                    can just put the frames they have in there.

                    However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
                    Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

                    You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
                    out
                    of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
                    successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
                    built to your equipment specs would work best.

                    --
                    Scot McPherson
                    The McPherson Family Honey Farms
                    Davenport, Iowa USA

                    http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/>
                    ><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/><http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.o<http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.o/>
                    rg/>

                    m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/><http://groups.yahoo.co<http://groups.yahoo.co/><http://groups.yahoo.<http://groups.yahoo./>
                    co/>
                    m/groups/OrganicBeekeepers/>

                    mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...><mailto:scot.mcpherson@...<mailto:scot.mcpherson@...>><mailto:

                    Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:05 AM

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                      His phone number is no good anymore. He should be listed though. Try and
                      give him a call.

> [...]

                      . ` , ` '
                      .,';`,. ``. '.
                      _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
                      /_____\ .:.,"'`
                      /\_____/\ .,:`'"
                      \###/.,';`

                      He was saying if you build a Tanzanzanian Top Bar Hive at the same
                      dimensions used by langstroth hives (like your local beeks use) then
                      you
                      can just put the frames they have in there.

                      However what you want is a package for the equipment you already have.
                      Or you want to catch a swarm or do a feral colony cut out.

                      You can also buy frames of bees from your local beeks, and cut them
                      out
                      of the frames attach them to your topbars using one of the various
                      successful methods of tying up comb to top bars. Swarm catching frames
                      built to your equipment specs would work best.

                      />

                      Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:05 AM