Re: San Francisco "East Bay" TBH get-togethers/bee club?

  • jeniflyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1 1:45 PM
      Hi all, Mark and Ruby...

      Sorry I've been outta the loop for about a month - wedding,etc...
      Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would love
      to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
      keepers interested?
      It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets in.
      Hope you and your bees are all well!
      Jen

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "rogue_ruby" <rogue_ruby@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Ruby
      >
      > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Rowland" <honeybeekeeper@>
      wrote:

      > > Is K Ruby coming?
      > >
      > > On 5/30/06, girl mark <girlmark_list_email@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > I have been hanging out with an awesome top-bar-hive newbie
      whom I met
      > > > on the Beesource forum recently, who lives in my neighborhood
      of
      > > > Oakland (California that is), and we're throwing around ideas
      about
      > > > starting a regular (monthly?) TBH-themed get-together or bee
      club in
      > > > town. There are a LOT of East Bay-based TBH practitioners
      (thankslargely
      > > > to Ruby's workshops!)
      > > >
      > > > I'd definitely like to have a meeting soon to talk about the
      proposed
      > > > TBH conference (it's proposed for next year here in NorCal, our
      > > > organizing is at a standstill but I am about to focus on this
      again)

      > > > I was thinking of something along the lines of a potluck
      meeting in
      > > > people's homes that rotates to various homes, not on a weekend
      when
      > > > everyone's busy with other things. If we get too large for a
      home
      > > > meeting, we can probably get meeting space at the Ecology Center
      > > > bookstore in Berkeley.
      > > >
      > > > My house is quite large with lots of meeting space, and I would
      like to
      > > > call a get-together at my house in about three weeks,
      preferably on a
      > > > weekday night.
      > > >
      > > > Three weeks from now is approximately Solstice, which means the
      21st is
      > > > out (our house is having a hippie offgrid no-electricity party
      that
      > > > night, and lots of other things are going on that evening in
      town).
      > > > Other than the 21st, there are no meetings of regional bee
      clubs that
      > > > conflict with any days that week (a listing is at
      > > > http://www.honeybee.com/beeclubs.htm ).
      > > >

      > > > Who's interested? (if your'e reading this at the
      organicbeekeepers list,
      > > > I can't always keep up with the volume of traffic on that list,
      please
      > > > also CC any replies to me at alovert@ in case I miss your
      > > > posting on the list)
      > > >
      > > > What weeknights of the third week of the June would work for
      you? If
      > > > not the 3rd week, how about the 4th week (again, no conflicts
      with other
      > > > bee club meetings in case someone from elsewhere wants to come
      visit)

      > > > Mark
      > > >

      > > > The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
      > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive
      > > >
      > > > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at

      t=ms&k=Biology&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+suppli
      es
      > &w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=Xk2NelYmN93VpWgOCquaJQ>
      > > > Usa<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Usa&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies&w
      6
      > =Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=57BdNnwxt2HZVqjdbtcl0g>
      > > > Bee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Bee&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies&w
      6
      > =Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=8g2uFgYffXvOq3jwyYKfAQ> s
      > > > bees<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=s+bees&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplie
      > &w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=MrYPTMUXaZi5wvq3wSRlaQ> Beekeeping
      > > > supplies<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Beekeeping+supplies&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beeke
      ep
      > ing+supplies&w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=ceBvgU-V-kks2ZW-U_sy_w>
      Burts
      > > > bee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

      t=ms&k=Burts+bee&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supp
      li
      > es&w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=3rM-Xls5Q81i9Q37mn1MSw>
      > > >
      > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
      of

    • acornjean
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 2:24 PM
        Hello SF Bay area beekeepers,

        I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday, Sept 9 at my urban
        permaculture farm in Napa. 11:00 am - pot luck or bag lunch. It is easy to find the place.
        Let me know who is able to come.

        I am also planning to have another one the second Saturday of Oct, the 14th if there is any
        interest.

        Jean

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "jeniflyn" <jeniflyn@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, Mark and Ruby...

        > Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would love
        > to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
        > keepers interested?
        > It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets in.
        > Hope you and your bees are all well!
        > Jen
      • laela french
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1 11:34 PM
          Dear Jean:

          I am RSVPing a YES. Can you send the address to me?

          laelafrench@...

          looking forward to it!

          Love & Light,
          Laela

          I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday, Sept 9 at my urban
          permaculture farm in Napa. 11:00 am - pot luck or bag lunch. It is easy to find the place.
          Let me know who is able to come.

          I am also planning to have another one the second Saturday of Oct, the 14th if there is any
          interest.

          Jean

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "jeniflyn" <jeniflyn@.. .> wrote:

          > Hi all, Mark and Ruby...

          > Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would love
          > to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
          > keepers interested?
          > It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets in.
          > Hope you and your bees are all well!
          > Jen

        • stangardens
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14 10:13 AM
            any feedback on the get together?
            stan in somerset

            > Hello SF Bay area beekeepers,
            >
            > I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday,
            Sept 9 at my urban
            > permaculture farm in Napa. 11:00 am - pot luck or bag lunch. It is
            easy to find the place.
            > Let me know who is able to come.
            >
            > I am also planning to have another one the second Saturday of Oct,
            the 14th if there is any
            > interest.
            >
            > Jean
            >
            > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "jeniflyn" <jeniflyn@ .> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all, Mark and Ruby...
            >
            > > Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would
            love
            > > to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
            > > keepers interested?
            > > It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets
            in.
            > > Hope you and your bees are all well!
            > > Jen

          • acornjean
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 14 8:59 PM
              Stan,
              I thought the meeting was a success. There were 6 of us, Sonoma, Napa and SF beeks.
              There were LOTS of pictures to see, one person brought a hive to show. We looked at the
              features on my hives. We passed all kinds of stories and suggestions around. I showed
              my simple extraction set up.

              At least 5 more say they plan to come to the Oct 14th meeting, also in Napa. I hope you
              can make it to one of the future get togethers.

              We need a shorter name for our group. San Francisco - East Bay TBH is long and doesn't
              include a lot of beeks that we hope to include like Sac and Santa Rosa and San Jose and
              San Ramon.... Any ideas?
              Jean

              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "stangardens" <stangardens@...> wrote:

              > any feedback on the get together?
              > stan in somerset
              >

              > > Hello SF Bay area beekeepers,
              > >
              > > I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday,
              > Sept 9 at my urban
            • girl mark
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 16 7:57 PM
                Bay Area TBH Association?

                Mark

                acornjean wrote:

                We need a shorter name for our group. San Francisco - East Bay TBH is
                long and doesn't

                > include a lot of beeks that we hope to include like Sac and Santa Rosa
                > and San Jose and
                > San Ramon.... Any ideas?
                > Jean

              • Laela
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 18 10:52 AM
                  As an acronym it could work as BAT Hives or BAT BeeHives.
                  B [bay] A [area] T [topbar] Beehives.

                  My 2 cents,
                  Laela

                  --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, girl mark <girlmark_list_email@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Bay Area TBH Association?
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > acornjean wrote:
                  >
                  > We need a shorter name for our group. San Francisco - East Bay TBH
                  is
                  > long and doesn't
                  >
                  > > include a lot of beeks that we hope to include like Sac and
                  Santa Rosa
                  > > and San Jose and
                  > > San Ramon.... Any ideas?
                  > > Jean

                • girl mark
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 20 6:09 PM
                    I'm back in town after being gone most weekends of the summer, and I"m
                    now interersted in hosting a top bar hive beekeepers' gettogether in the
                    East Bay, either Berkeley or Oakland. For those on the SFBees list, the
                    top bar hive beekeepers yahoogroup has had a few messages recently from
                    other Bay Area/Northern California beekeepers about TBH-themed meetups.
                    I imagine also that since most TBH'ers seem to be practicing organic
                    techniques, this would be a meeting/club that focuses on organic/small
                    cell/natural cell techniques also, in addition to top bar hive beekeeping.

                    I did a short talk on TBH beekeeping at an urban farming event at the
                    beginning of the summer which netted a few interested names from the
                    urban permaculture scene here, too, and would like to get them involved
                    in this hobby before they forget what TBH is.

                    so,how does a lunch/dinner (depending on which day of the week) in
                    Berkeley sound to you guys, sometime during honey harvest season (which
                    can unfortunately mean defensive bees, they tend to be more alert to
                    robbing in the fall)? I"m not sure if trying to get into the hive is a
                    good idea, or if just having a get-together /show and tell/photo sharing
                    sort of thing is all we should do.

                    Mark