AFB??--lost a hive

  • Laela
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2006
      I just checked my hives today after being overseas for a few weeks. One hive is strong and
      healthy--the other however is gone.

      It looks like AFB but I am a first year so this is based on image comparisons. There are only a
      handful of bees in there and they are very mellow or sickly (aka not aggressive).

      No honey--whatever was there is gone too. Hard to say what exactly happened as I had been
      away. But this hive was very strong at first and had lots of brood comb (8-12) (TBH btw) and
      2 - 3 honeycombs on my last inspection. Last inspections was during the heatwave and the
      combs were falling--so I spent the better part of my time cleaning up the combs and I
      obviosuly missed noticing the disease spread.

      So, now what? I can't freeze the combs as I have a small fridge. Do I need to burn the whole
      Top Bar Box or just combs?

      THank you for y our advice. I realize this is serious and want to alert area beekeepers that I
      one of my 2 hives is victim. all advice welcome!

      Laela
      939-8998
    • Scot Mc Pherson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2006
        How do you know its afb? A few bees in a hive will always be
        non-aggressive. A few weeks is not enough to kill off a hive, they
        probably left and the honey was robbed and the few bees left perhaps
        were robbers also or the few bees that didn't get the memo about
        absconding.

        --
        Scot McPherson
        The McPherson Family Honey Farms

        . ` , ` '

[...]

        The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive