Re: San Francisco "East Bay" TBH get-togethers/bee club?

  • rogue_ruby
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hey All-
      did this happen?
      Mark is the newbie you are talking abour Jen on 51st?
      I would like to be invited, but I don't get these messages deleivered into my mailbox.
      Please have jen let me know or email me at wisefool@....
      Thanks!
      Ruby

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Rowland" <honeybeekeeper@...> wrote:

      > Is K Ruby coming?
      >
      > On 5/30/06, girl mark <girlmark_list_email@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I have been hanging out with an awesome top-bar-hive newbie whom I met
      > > on the Beesource forum recently, who lives in my neighborhood of
      > > Oakland (California that is), and we're throwing around ideas about
      > > starting a regular (monthly?) TBH-themed get-together or bee club in
      > > town. There are a LOT of East Bay-based TBH practitioners (thankslargely
      > > to Ruby's workshops!)
      > >
      > > I'd definitely like to have a meeting soon to talk about the proposed
      > > TBH conference (it's proposed for next year here in NorCal, our
      > > organizing is at a standstill but I am about to focus on this again)
      > >
      > > I was thinking of something along the lines of a potluck meeting in
      > > people's homes that rotates to various homes, not on a weekend when
      > > everyone's busy with other things. If we get too large for a home
      > > meeting, we can probably get meeting space at the Ecology Center
      > > bookstore in Berkeley.
      > >
      > > My house is quite large with lots of meeting space, and I would like to
      > > call a get-together at my house in about three weeks, preferably on a
      > > weekday night.
      > >
      > > Three weeks from now is approximately Solstice, which means the 21st is
      > > out (our house is having a hippie offgrid no-electricity party that
      > > night, and lots of other things are going on that evening in town).
      > > Other than the 21st, there are no meetings of regional bee clubs that
      > > conflict with any days that week (a listing is at
      > > http://www.honeybee.com/beeclubs.htm ).
      > >

      > > Who's interested? (if your'e reading this at the organicbeekeepers list,
      > > I can't always keep up with the volume of traffic on that list, please
      > > also CC any replies to me at alovert@... in case I miss your
      > > posting on the list)
      > >
      > > What weeknights of the third week of the June would work for you? If
      > > not the 3rd week, how about the 4th week (again, no conflicts with other
      > > bee club meetings in case someone from elsewhere wants to come visit)
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive
      > >
      > > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

      t=ms&k=Biology&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies
      &w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=Xk2NelYmN93VpWgOCquaJQ>
      > > Usa<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Usa&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies&w6
      =Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=57BdNnwxt2HZVqjdbtcl0g>
      > > Bee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Bee&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies&w6
      =Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=8g2uFgYffXvOq3jwyYKfAQ> s
      > > bees<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=s+bees&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies
      &w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=MrYPTMUXaZi5wvq3wSRlaQ> Beekeeping
      > > supplies<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Beekeeping+supplies&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeep
      ing+supplies&w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=ceBvgU-V-kks2ZW-U_sy_w> Burts
      > > bee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Burts+bee&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+suppli
      es&w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=3rM-Xls5Q81i9Q37mn1MSw>

    • jeniflyn
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi all, Mark and Ruby...

        Sorry I've been outta the loop for about a month - wedding,etc...
        Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would love
        to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
        keepers interested?
        It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets in.
        Hope you and your bees are all well!
        Jen

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "rogue_ruby" <rogue_ruby@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > Bee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

        t=ms&k=Bee&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplies&w
        6
        > =Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=8g2uFgYffXvOq3jwyYKfAQ> s
        > > > bees<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

        t=ms&k=s+bees&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supplie
        > &w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=MrYPTMUXaZi5wvq3wSRlaQ> Beekeeping
        > > > supplies<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

        t=ms&k=Beekeeping+supplies&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beeke
        ep
        > ing+supplies&w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=ceBvgU-V-kks2ZW-U_sy_w>
        Burts
        > > > bee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

        t=ms&k=Burts+bee&w1=Biology&w2=Usa&w3=Bee&w4=s+bees&w5=Beekeeping+supp
        li
        > es&w6=Burts+bee&c=6&s=93&.sig=3rM-Xls5Q81i9Q37mn1MSw>
        > > >
        > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms

      • acornjean
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hello SF Bay area beekeepers,

          I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday, Sept 9 at my urban
          permaculture farm in Napa. 11:00 am - pot luck or bag lunch. It is easy to find the place.
          Let me know who is able to come.

          I am also planning to have another one the second Saturday of Oct, the 14th if there is any
          interest.

          Jean

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "jeniflyn" <jeniflyn@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, Mark and Ruby...

          > Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would love
          > to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
          > keepers interested?
          > It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets in.
          > Hope you and your bees are all well!
          > Jen
        • laela french
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
            Dear Jean:

            I am RSVPing a YES. Can you send the address to me?

            laelafrench@...

            looking forward to it!

            Love & Light,
            Laela

            I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday, Sept 9 at my urban
            permaculture farm in Napa. 11:00 am - pot luck or bag lunch. It is easy to find the place.
            Let me know who is able to come.

            I am also planning to have another one the second Saturday of Oct, the 14th if there is any
            interest.

            Jean

            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "jeniflyn" <jeniflyn@.. .> wrote:

            > Hi all, Mark and Ruby...

            > Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would love
            > to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
            > keepers interested?
            > It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets in.
            > Hope you and your bees are all well!
            > Jen

          • stangardens
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 14, 2006
              any feedback on the get together?
              stan in somerset

              > Hello SF Bay area beekeepers,
              >
              > I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday,
              Sept 9 at my urban
              > permaculture farm in Napa. 11:00 am - pot luck or bag lunch. It is
              easy to find the place.
              > Let me know who is able to come.
              >
              > I am also planning to have another one the second Saturday of Oct,
              the 14th if there is any
              > interest.
              >
              > Jean
              >
              > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "jeniflyn" <jeniflyn@ .> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all, Mark and Ruby...
              >
              > > Anyway, I'm back and checking beekeeping emails again, and would
              love
              > > to see this kind of meeting happen. Are there any other east bay
              > > keepers interested?
              > > It might be nice to do something before the wetter weather sets
              in.
              > > Hope you and your bees are all well!
              > > Jen

            • acornjean
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 2006
                Stan,
                I thought the meeting was a success. There were 6 of us, Sonoma, Napa and SF beeks.
                There were LOTS of pictures to see, one person brought a hive to show. We looked at the
                features on my hives. We passed all kinds of stories and suggestions around. I showed
                my simple extraction set up.

                At least 5 more say they plan to come to the Oct 14th meeting, also in Napa. I hope you
                can make it to one of the future get togethers.

                We need a shorter name for our group. San Francisco - East Bay TBH is long and doesn't
                include a lot of beeks that we hope to include like Sac and Santa Rosa and San Jose and
                San Ramon.... Any ideas?
                Jean

                --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "stangardens" <stangardens@...> wrote:

                > any feedback on the get together?
                > stan in somerset
                >

                > > Hello SF Bay area beekeepers,
                > >
                > > I am having a Top Bar Hive Beekeeper get together next Saturday,
                > Sept 9 at my urban
              • girl mark
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 16, 2006
                  Bay Area TBH Association?

                  Mark

                  acornjean wrote:

                  We need a shorter name for our group. San Francisco - East Bay TBH is
                  long and doesn't

                  > include a lot of beeks that we hope to include like Sac and Santa Rosa
                  > and San Jose and
                  > San Ramon.... Any ideas?
                  > Jean

                • Laela
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 18, 2006
                    As an acronym it could work as BAT Hives or BAT BeeHives.
                    B [bay] A [area] T [topbar] Beehives.

                    My 2 cents,
                    Laela

                    --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, girl mark <girlmark_list_email@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Bay Area TBH Association?
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > acornjean wrote:
                    >
                    > We need a shorter name for our group. San Francisco - East Bay TBH
                    is
                    > long and doesn't
                    >
                    > > include a lot of beeks that we hope to include like Sac and
                    Santa Rosa
                    > > and San Jose and
                    > > San Ramon.... Any ideas?
                    > > Jean

                  • girl mark
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 20, 2006
                      I'm back in town after being gone most weekends of the summer, and I"m
                      now interersted in hosting a top bar hive beekeepers' gettogether in the
                      East Bay, either Berkeley or Oakland. For those on the SFBees list, the
                      top bar hive beekeepers yahoogroup has had a few messages recently from
                      other Bay Area/Northern California beekeepers about TBH-themed meetups.
                      I imagine also that since most TBH'ers seem to be practicing organic
                      techniques, this would be a meeting/club that focuses on organic/small
                      cell/natural cell techniques also, in addition to top bar hive beekeeping.

                      I did a short talk on TBH beekeeping at an urban farming event at the
                      beginning of the summer which netted a few interested names from the
                      urban permaculture scene here, too, and would like to get them involved
                      in this hobby before they forget what TBH is.

                      so,how does a lunch/dinner (depending on which day of the week) in
                      Berkeley sound to you guys, sometime during honey harvest season (which
                      can unfortunately mean defensive bees, they tend to be more alert to
                      robbing in the fall)? I"m not sure if trying to get into the hive is a
                      good idea, or if just having a get-together /show and tell/photo sharing
                      sort of thing is all we should do.

                      Mark