break in brood cycle after swarming- how long?

  • girl mark
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      I have a question about how long a new queen takes to start laying.

      My colony swarmed sometime recently, and I first noticed about a week
      ago. The queen was in the hive along with plenty of adult workers, but
      there was no brood or eggs (loads of already-opened swarm cells though,
      and it had been about a month (?) or more since I last checked them
      before that so no surprise)

      I checked them again 8 days later , more carefully this time. We saw the
      queen sitting there (no drone guts hanging out of her, which I assume
      goes on for a bit after mating?) but still no eggs. I actually brushed
      bees off some of the brood comb and looked really carefully but didn't
      find any.

      How long is the break in egglaying supposed to last after swarming?

      Mark