re: Ant prevention!

  • port128@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
      Hi Ruby and others with ant problems,

      There are many kinds of ants so a solution to deal with one kind of infestation may not work for another. That's why various alternatives are winners for some people and losers for others.

      Orange Guard (sold at OSH) uses orange peel extract at a 5% concentration to kill ants, roaches etc by direct spray, and acts as a repellent to some ants and other insects. Orange Plus (sold at Whole Foods) is a cleaner which comes diluted ready to use or as a 32x stonger concentrate.

      My hives are about 30" high on 2x2 splayed legs, and whenever this is an invasion of ants I paint a 2" band of Orange Plus concentrate 3-4" above the bottom of each leg. The wood absorbs a lot so it is fairly strong. Within two days there will be no ants in sight.

      A longer lasting solution is to heat mineral oil, wax and a little honey (honey is an emulsifier) in a crockpot, and after that has started to cool, mix in the concentrate. The result is like petroleum jelly and it can be smeared over the legs. It is messier than painting with concentrate but lasts longer.

      Good luck

      JP