Re: [TopHive] Re: Hello from NewBee

  • Kelley
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2006
      Thanks Barry. This is very helpful. Have printed it out so I can read at my leisure. Was also pretty psyched after doing an online check as to what's available at my local library they have quite a few beekeeping books available there (who knew?!)

      Kelley :)

      Barry Lay <barrylay1952@...> wrote:
      Kelley,

      The best info I got for starting with my TBHs was at this link http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/us/small_beekeeping/homepage.htm

      This is a book produced by the Peace Corps. Just make sure you don't miss the "NEXT" buttons at the bottom of the page. At first I didn't realize it had more than one page. I eventually printed the whole thing out and put it in a binder.

      Barry

    • Carolyn Chaney
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2006
        Don't worry. Bees in a swarm or just going into a hive rarely
        sting. I had a horrible disaster this past time housing a huge
        swarm...It was about to rain, and I was in a rush and didn't tie down
        my veil and then I heard buzzing close, way too close! About 20 bees
        inside my veil! So I slowly removed it and never got stung. Later
        the donor of the swarm explained that when in a swarm state, bees
        don't sting...it is later when they have brood to protect that they
        become more aggressive. Anyway, I learned to tie my veil down!

        Carolyn

        On Apr 24, 2006, at 4:59 PM, thymeforme2 wrote:

> [...]
        > thinking trying something like this LOL. Husband is supportive in
        > that he's going to help me BUILD the hive... but he said he'd watch
        > me from the kitchen window with phone in hand when it comes time for
        > me to actually put the bees in or tend to them!!
        >
        > Kelley
        >
        > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, laela french <laelafrench@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> http://www3.telus.net/conrad/toc.htm
        >>
        >> Hi there! I am also a new TBH beekeeper. I found a class in my
        > area and that was really helpful. Our teacher recommended the link
        > above as an online TBH guide to beekeeping. Great reference and
        > gives you an superb step by step approach including plans for
        > building a TBH. It is easy to make one--if you have access to some
        > basic woodworking tools (chop saw, drill, table saw...)
        >>
        >> I just got my bees and installed them into TBH. A little
        > nervous but still doable for a new beekeeper. I also like Backyard
        > Beekeeper book as it has such great color photos for each step of
        > beekeeping--very clear and helpful (the book uses Langs but you get
        > the idea!)
        >>

        >> Good Luck!
        >> laela
        >>
        >> thymeforme2 <thymeforme2@...> wrote:
        >> Hi. Hope you all don't mind me jumping in. Am a total bee
        > novice, and
        >> was relieved to have found this group! I've managed to find alot
        > of
        >> beekeeing info. out there, but not so much in the way of TBH. I
        > find
        >> this a facinating subject, and want to start a hive of my own.
        > I've
        >> located an online forum, which is full of great info., but again,
        > not
        >> TBH-related at all, and a local beekeeping group in my area that
        > has
        >> monthly meetings that include demonstrations, etc., so I plan to
        > try
        >> and get to a couple of their meetings. All in all the beekeeping
        >> community seems pretty supportive, regardless of how you go about
        >> keeping bees, but it would be great to have a mentor that does
        > only
        >> the TBH method. Any advice for a newbee? Is it too late for me to
        > even
        >> start my hive this spring (I'm in Maryland) given that it would be
        > at
        >> least another week to get my hive, and then I'd have to get bees!
        >> Also, with no formal training as such, and right now no mentor,
        > would
        >> beginner (wearing bee suit) be able to succesfully even introduce
        >> colony into the hive without help? I'm wondering if I'm getting
        > inover
        >> my head LOL. Thanks... I plan to go back and read your archives
        >> learn more, but just wanted to say Hi!
        >>

        >> The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive
        >>
        >> roup archive and other pages can be accessed at

        Carolyn Chaney
        cchaney@...

        > "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious
        > life?"
        > --Mary Oliver

      • Carolyn Chaney
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2006
          Don't forget to feed those new packages for a week or so...they need
          help at first. The best way I've found (and I tried a lot of
          methods) is simple syrup (50-50 sugar - water) in a quart ziplock,
          laid in the bottom of the hive and slashed in 4-5 places with a razor
          blade. It is magic! The bees get fed, they don't drown in the
          syrup, and it is easy to put in and take out. Ants can be a problem
          with ANY feeding method, so keep an eye out. Nothing worse for a new
          swarm than having to cope with an ant invasion!

          Carolyn

        • girl mark
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2006
            thymeforme2 wrote:

            > Have thought about trying to lure
            >them into the hive too, read somewhere about using lemongrass
            >essential oil to do that, but suppose chances of getting a swarm
            >this way would be slim. Anyone ever tried this?

            This is usually done with 'swarm catching boxes' rather than the actual
            hive (I think). Basically, when bees swarm, they'll first land on a
            lowish-hanging branch, fence, eaves, etc, for a pause that lasts
            anywhere between a few hours and two days (while the scouts find a
            'permanent' location). Thats when beekeepers come catch them (great fun,
            by the way- that's where my first bees came from, very scary but
            exciting when you don't know what you're getting into!).

            Anyway, swarm lure boxes are usually placed into trees or otherwise up
            high- swarms are more likely to move into boxes up high than into hives
            on the ground, as their natural tendency is to build colonies higher up.
            I think the location of the tree vis -a-vis flight path and sun exposure
            matter too, but I don't know enough to tell you anything more specific.

            People often use swarm catch boxes that include some used bee
            paraphernelia or some propolis, wax, etc, and/or use the lemongrass or
            other scents to help convince them to rent that house rather than set up
            elsewhere. I'd heard in some book something about dissolving propolis in
            ammonia (can that be right? am I misremembering the exact solvent?) and
            painting the inside of the lure box with the mixture to get the box to
            smell like bees.
          • Kelley
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2006
              Wow.. That sounds pretty interesting, but don't think I'm brave enough to attempt it yet. HUGE carpenter bee somehow got into my bedroom last night, and I was still calling for DH to remove it (the shame!!) Kudos to you for catching a swarm for your first hive! Maybe I could try rigging one up just to see what happens.. a sort of "observational swarm" LOL.

              Kelley